Customer reviews

on 22 March 2017
I have only started reading this book and so far I find it informative and very easy to read. For a "hoping" first time mother, I could not give my full opinion on this book due to lack of experience on the subject.
on 21 June 2016
Most of this can be found on the web. Not a substitute for a good pregnancy handbook written by a doctor. Inspiring as a story, but again, many of those available on the web.
on 29 May 2011
Is your biological clock ticking so loudly you can't hear yourself think? Are you so obsessed with reproducing that you mistake shopping carts for baby buggies? Are you, in other words, over 35 and in a flat out panic that you are never going to hear the pitter patter of tiny feet? Then, this is the book for you. It's central message is: DON'T PANIC! It challenges the conventional wisdom that you're more likely to choke on a pretzel than get pregnant over the age of 40. It dips into all the latest research on getting pregnant later and comes to the very reassuring conclusion that it is perfectly possible to get pregnant at the right time for you, even if that time is over 40. As a first time mother at 42, and now trying for a second baby at 43, I found the book to be packed with excellent advice on nutrition, exercise, yoga etc. It's written in a chatty, accessible style, making the latest neuroscience research appealingly easy to understand. Most of all, the book made me feel that I am part of a growing tribe of joyful older mums who are lucky enough to be healthy enough and mature enough to make great parents: and that that is something to be proud of. I could not recommend this book more.
on 18 June 2011
This is very informative book that details all the obstacles that can inhibit conception. Maybe you have read this ad nauseum in other books (West, Wechsler and Cannon for example)and feel that the information is a straight-forward regurgitation. Not so, the tone of this book is what sets it apart from others.

Claudia Spahr points out in a no- nonsense and down-to-earth manner that, despite medical opinion, in most cases, conception is not beyond the reach of women in their mid-late thirties and beyond. She counters the perceived wisdom with evidence and common sense arguments in favour of 'late' Motherhood. This is a breath of fresh air for would-be parents who are not in their twenties.

Spahr covers the following:
* Are you ready for conception (emotionally and physically)
* Enhancing natural conception
* Preparing for IVF and medical interventions
* Pregnancy loss and miscarriage
* The First Trimester
* What tests to take: arguments for and against
* Second Trimester
* Third Trimester
* Labour and Birth
* Baby needs
* Your needs as a Mother

As you can see this book covers a lot of ground. The main thrust of the book is to encourage positivity and a sound 'mind-body' connection at every stage from conception throughout pregnancy and the birth process. Planning for labour was an interesting section that encourages women to connect with their ability to perform what should come naturally but has been eroded by fear and suspicion throughout the centuries. However, Spahr does not push a 'natural is the only way' agenda and talks about the role of epidural and caeserean in the birth process. Again, all options are discussed in a balanced way with pros and cons given for each intervention.

Great book. Even if you think you know it all but want a book that is positive and encouraging-to get that all important mind-body connection in sync-then I would heartily recommend that you try this book.

UPDATE 24th October 2012:

I decided to take the plunge and try for a baby this Summer. I fell pregnant on the first attempt and my baby is due next April. This book embued me with a sense of confidence that I did not have beforehand. Previously, being the 'wrong' side of 35, I had convinced myself I was infertile and would not conceive at all (not based on medical fact but my own paranoia). Ok fertility does decline with age but this book highlights that you can do things to improve your chances. I believe that stress is the biggest barrier to conception and that you shouldn't assume that you will have difficulty unless you know for certain that you have a medical condition.

I would also like to add that as well as reading this book (and the one by Emma Cannon 'The Baby Making Bible') I have adopted some lifestyle changes such as taking up Kundalini Yoga (I would recommend Maya Fiennes and Ravi Singh-Ana Brett's DVDs) and changing the way I respond to stressful situations (i.e. not sweating the small stuff). Adopting a dog has also helped. Some of these options may not appeal to everyone but they helped me.
on 28 July 2011
I found Claudia Spahr's book a fresh and modern take on an age old subject. It is engaging and personal, highly informative and authoritative, and never condescending or bossy. I like her humour and her candour. I thought I was the only one that secretly worried that on a bad day people might mistake me for my baby's grandmother... I finished feeling positive, empowered and informed. A real book to share, and a book to read by all women wanting a baby at the right time, whatever age.
on 19 May 2011
Finally, a book that cuts through all the hype and hysteria surrounding the modern woman's decision about when - and how - to have a baby 'later in life'. It provides bang up to the minute information about how to make things happen, and was such an interesting read that I managed to devour it in two days. For those people out there like me who would love a baby but have been wondering how on earth to go about it with any degree of optimism, this book is a wealth of invaluable information and, more importantly, hope.
on 16 February 2013
it was a great relief to finally come across a book that doesn't just bombard you with bad news in regards to fertility above 40. Claudia is a real delight, she also organizes yoga retreats and is the most personable author I have ever come across. Great statistics on 'older' mothers and great tips! Finally a book that will give you hope instead of drag you down even more! I can highly recommend buying her book. Thank you, Claudia!
on 12 February 2013
I actually emailed Claudia direct before I read her book and was so surprised to get a very personal response which hugely helped me (at 45 and still trying to get pregnant after TTC for 6 years on and off). I immediately ordered the book and read the pre-conception sections which have helped me lots in reiterating that diet, exercise and mind are all important when trying to get pregnant at an older age and that they must all be concentrated on. I found this book an excellent source of help and inspiration and I look forward to reading the rest of the book when I finally achieve my dream hopefully in the not too distant future. Claudia is very sincere and I was most inspired by her very lengthy personal responses to me, which I have not come across anywhere. You are normally charged for every consultation or bit of advice you need!!!

on 9 June 2011
Started reading this book thanks so much, it came at a time when I was beginning to feel the pressures about having a child and getting a bit anxious about it. It has made me relaxed about it all and to have faith in the universe that it will happen if its supposed to happen when the time is right. To enjoy myself in the present and concentrate on striving to be as healthy as I can. Definetly a good inspiring read for any women thinking about having a child..
on 24 June 2011
I enjoyed this book so much - it left me feeling truly empowered to make the choices I feel are right for my body and my babies of the future. What a refreshing sound to hear a voice championing and encouraging women to reconnect with their innate wisdom about child-bearing, and to trust their instincts over popular scare-mongering and routine medical interventions. As a 35 year old who has not yet found herself in the right situation to plan a family, this book reminds me to keep listening to my inner calm and the strong belief that my body will become pregnant when the time is right and I ask it to. And that there are positive things I can do even now to help it along the way. Practical, evidenced and empowering, this book is for all women who want to bring pregancy and childbirth back where it belongs: into the realm of women.