Customer reviews

Greg Davies Live - Firing Cheeseballs at a Dog [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 12 July 2013
A very funny stand-up routine from a master comedian. The best I've seen for a long while, it's hard to describe what lifted it (for me) above any one of hundreds of others but I think the material really shines out. Greg is a real story teller who in this performance develops a feeling of meaning. On TV recently, routines consisting of nothing but quick fire puns and surrealism seem to be more popular but this performance shows how someone can deliver a clever, heartwarming tale whilst still making you laugh. Either it's all true as he says or his visible emotion at times is just bloody good acting but I was sucked in and after laughing the whole way through when it was finished I was also left with a lingering "good feeling" - not what you'd usually expect from a title like this. Highly recommended.
on 8 December 2011
I've watched most of the new stand-up DVDs of this year so far and I wasn't sure what to expect from Greg Davies' offering. He's always a lot of fun on panel shows and of course he was great in The Inbetweeners, but I wasn't sure how that would translate to stand-up.

The routine takes the form of a series of relatively short stories about his life during various periods, and each is funnier than the last. As you'd expect he makes fun of himself a lot, and his family, and there's a fair share of shouting and swearing but every second is brilliant.

There's not much more you can say without giving away some of the jokes, but if you've ever liked Greg in anything you've seen him in so far, go for this DVD as it's probably the best that I've seen so far this year, and that includes Peter Kay and Jason Manford.
on 10 April 2012
One of the best stand-up DVDs for a very long time, original, honest, heart-warming and extremely funny. Can't recommend it enough. Fantastic
on 20 January 2012
This DVD was a small bastion of pleasure in the sea of mediocrity known as stand up.

I saw this DVD around a friends house just after Xmas and I laughed so much, I really wasn't expecting much but what I received was nothing short of hilarious, so I ended up buying it myself.

Lots of people who are, seemingly, experts on the genre of stand up will probably point out all the subtle techniques which Greg uses in his show and testify that his style is... blah blah blah, personally I just watched and enjoyed, and I suggest that if you're not a connoisseur (i.e. pretentious pr*%k) of comedy then you too shall enjoy this wonderful show.

It was personal, funny and, at times, tragic. A roller-coaster of emotion (but mainly joy).

I couldn't recommend this enough,
on 14 October 2011
Not knowing what to expect, as only seeing him from the inbetweeners (as he is most recognised from), I booked tickets and took my Mum. We both had a great time. He's not far from the character he portrays in the inbetweeners (Gilbert) actually. He has that fantastic dry humour. The show is centered around his life up to now, for example, talking about when he was a drama teacher at school. Much love for this guy, and I'll be buying the DVD to relive a great night.
on 18 November 2011
It was hard tryint to decide which stand up to watch as there seems to be about 30 all released in November. After deciding to watch Greg Davies live (Inbetweeners, Mock The Week), i was glad i did. He is natural entertainer whos stories about his family, school days and teaching is very funny. Much better than i was expecting.
on 14 August 2012
Very very funny had me in stitches the full time. Got this after seeing him on inbetweeners and thought he was good was not disappointed.
Cheers Greg cant wait for the next one!!
on 16 December 2011
Being a fan of Gregs from ask Rhod Gilbert and his epic term as Mr Gilbert on the Inbetweeners, I picked this up and expected to laugh, however I didn't expect anything this funny. Beautifully shot incredibly funny an something I'll watch time and time again.
on 2 April 2012
Firing Cheeseballs at a dog is a fantastically hilarious Dvd! I bought it after seeing Greg Davies perform at The Royal Variety show last year. There is not one bit if this DVD that doesn't make me laugh! Greg Davies is a definite one to watch!
on 6 February 2012
I saw greg davis live doing this show and I have to say the video is as good as the live performance