on 2 April 2017
What a read! This is THE book which changed my reading tastes from the likes of James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, Mark Bilingham and others. It is a gripping read
Single female, Catherine meets gorgeous Lee and a relationship begins. A love story you may think, a great catch? As Catherine's friends are captivated by Lee, he can do no wrong. A story of control, isolation and abuse which is frightening and heartbreaking.
This was my first venture into the world of psychological thrillers and it is certainly not the last. For me the plot was believable and it is that which made it all the more terrifying to read. It's also my first" Domestic Noir", " behind closed doors", as I often see this type of read is now called.
I read this book in October 2014 and still remember it vividly.
on 16 February 2017
OMG.... read the reviews before purchase and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I think "enjoyed" is the wrong word as the subject of the book is quite an uncomfortable read. Had me gripped from the first chapter, towards the end of the book I was carrying it everywhere with me as I needed to know what happened, but didn't want it to end. Exhausted when I had finished, didn't realise I was so tense. Brilliant read, would recommend it, will stay with me for quite a while.
on 8 November 2017
I’ve wanted to read this book for ages, solely because I liked the title. I never got around to buying a copy until I saw it for sale on Amazon for 99p. I’m glad I finally read it.

I thought Into The Darkest Places was brilliant.

I love the way the novel is structured, constantly moving back and forth in time from the present with Cathy trying to rebuild her fragile life and the past showing how her relationship with too-good-to-be-true Lee turned sour. The works really well, gradually unfolding events.

I liked the characters, they were all very real and sympathetic, even Lee. I think Cathy’s OCD is explored with great sympathy. This is the second book I’ve read in the past few days where a primary character has OCD (the other one was The Betrayals). Lee gave me chills, he’s so cold, calculating and charming.
on 28 January 2018
Recommended by another writer Milly Johnson and she really knows what she's talking about. It took me 3 nights to read it, I just couldn't put the book down. You don't realise how OCD can affect people. I think we all have it a little, where things have to be done just so, but in this book it shows how people can get it really bad and you'll understand why when you read the book. If you love a good thriller you'll love this book. It's one of these books you're you're thinking about days if not weeks afterwards. Highly Recommended. I've ordered more from this author. Bought it 2nd hand, book in very good condition. Excellent service from the Seller.
on 6 March 2017
Brilliant read couldn't put this book down,it was a slow build up story of a girl who falls for a guy who turns violent.and this story goes back in time when she met him to present when struggling with ocd.brilliant writing.and a fantastic ending.recommend this book.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 July 2015
I must say I felt a little lost when I read the first three chapters as they didn't seem to flow together so I started again and just kept going. I read them again when I finished the book and everything clicked then. It was probably just me so don't let this put you off as the story itself is very well written. This is a story about domestic abuse and how it changed Cathy's life.
Cathy in 2003/4 is a carefree party loving girl, plenty of friends and plenty of one night stands. Confident, outgoing and living life to the fullest. Cathy in 2007/8 lives in constant fear. Suffering from OCD and PTS Cathy's day begins early for her to complete her rituals. Check the Windows, check the door locks, check the curtains are covering the right amount of panes. Check everything 8 times, then recheck again. Don't take the same route to work or back home. She knows the Windows are locked and doors but what if she didn't check right, check again.
The story moves between the two time periods, cleverly written as the introduction of a new man in each time zone changes Cathy's life in both. Lee has a brilliant physic, very attentive and very controlling, but like a lot of violent men/women they are charming to the outside world. The victim pays the price behind closed doors.
In 2007/8 Cathy meets Stuart, a doctor that has moved in the flat above her. Stuart understands Cathy, to a degree and with his help seeks the doctor that can help her.
When Lee is released Cathy knows she won't be safe.
The author has put a tremendous amount of research into this condition and her real life work in the police shows. I really liked how the time periods were linked as one Cathy grew weak the other began to take control back. I thought the reaction of Cathy's friends was written well, the betrayal and ultimately the strength of friendship. There are some sexual scenes in this book but due to the nature of the story they are warranted.
I very much enjoyed this book a perfect thriller from a talented writer.
on 16 October 2016
It did take a little bit to get into this book but once I settled into it, I was hooked, I was in a similar controlling relationship so I could relate to a lot of it, it was really well written and as I have a slight OCD issue, that was covered really accurately also. I really recommend this book, one of the best reads I have had in quite some time. The characters were so interesting and I loved the style of writing. Fabulous book.
on 19 September 2016
Domestic abuse… In the beginning you are charmed by his looks, love, kindness and devotion just as all your friends are also charmed by him. How they all envy you. You are the one that is to blame when you attempt to end the relationship and justify to your friends why without admitting the whole truth that you are afraid of this man that everyone sees as the perfect partner any girl would die for. They believe his lies that you are suffering some sort of a break down, unaware that your life is only hanging on a thread. This story is told in two time zones and even reading the unfolding stories I too became unsure about which characters I could trust. A great read… and scary to think this kind of abuse is happening somewhere right now behind a closed door.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 23 June 2014
Having found it, I had big expectations of this book because of the Amazon awards and all the great reviews.
It's a psychological thriller with a feel of "Gone Girl" and "Before I Go To Sleep" - suspense levels start high and are maintained throughout the fast paced story. I genuinely did not want to put it down but, unfortunately, don't have a life where I can read a book in one go. We seem to know how the story is going to pan out from the very beginning but still the tension stays - very clever!
We see the story through Catherine's eyes, alternating between 2003 (when she met Lee) and 2007 (when she is dealing with the consequences). Having a short time period between the two stories and making frequent switches results in a breathless read with action all the time.
The plot is extreme but nothing seems to be exaggerated and it is sympathetically written, particularly around the OCD and domestic violence issues. I'm not completely convinced that the Sylvia character needed to be there and the development might have been more subtle without her but understand why she was.
I loved that the book is written by a British author and is set in England - there are many US equivalents but to have a home grown version is great. I look forward to reading more from this lady.
on 29 January 2016
This kept my interest right the way through and is a brilliant book. The chapters are interspersed so that one covers the past and the next, the future and the struggle that Cathy has to come to terms with the terrifying ordeal she suffered at the hands of her last boyfriend... especially when nobody believed her and he is now out of prison. She is convinced that he will come looking for her and has to find a way to combat PTSD as well as chronic OCD just to get through each day. Her saviour appears in the form of Stuart who lives in the flat above but she finds it difficult to open up to anyone for fear she won't be believed. I won't go on as I am not particularly good at writing reviews and others have summed up this book much better than I could ever do
All I would say is that it is a great book and well done to the author. Am now about to try another of her books which i hope will be as good.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse