on 12 September 2011
I bought this advent calendar a couple of weeks ago, having seen it on sale, and initially thought it was very lightweight for the price. I'm not a fan of the recent City Police theme (which this calendar centres around), but the kids will probably like this calendar for the playability each model and minifigure brings.

There are two models in the calendar that will be built over more than one day, and unlike last year's advent calendar you'll have to wait until each model is completed before you can effectively play with them.

If your kids like City Police then this advent calendar is a great choice, otherwise it might be better to invest in another set.
22 Comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 December 2011
Lego has changed and shaped itself to the market forces. Usually toy manufacturers do this and lose their identity entirely.
Lego have done this and created their own market force that entertainment companies are falling over to be a part of.

This advent calendar is a testament to Lego and its new found confidence.

It is nicely presented and offers enough excitement for the person opening the doors to see what comes next.
The scene acts as a basic setting for the pieces made but is not essential to be kept after it is finished with and you can use the finished articles within most if the Lego series.

Highly recommended for just about any age range, tiny people will obviously need watching with small pieces included, and better for the teeth than chocolate!

Enjoy and have a great time.
on 5 January 2012
Having seen from other people enjoying this year's Lego City Advent Calendar and at less than £20, I couldn't resist to purchase this product.

Having purchased and the product delivered on time for Christmas, Lego City Advent Calendar failed to disappoint, you get a LEGO police building, a LEGO police car, two snow mobile, 6 figurines including two police, two robbers, a fisherman and Santa with a dog. Using the advent calendar box as the backdrop, you can place the LEGO pieces on the cardboard part of the box, and can be enjoyed by friends and family opening the advent flaps counting to each day. So much so that I bought another one for next year already.

I would strongly recommend this LEGO City Advent Calendar especially at the price of £15.15 from coolclearance!
on 21 September 2011
I bought this for my son. My husband loved it ..... There seemed to be loads of men and trees and some days you get a couple of bit for your city. Husband loved it that much he plans on using as his advent calendar every year.
on 22 December 2011
I bought this advent calendar for my eldest son who is 4 1/2, thinking that we would have loads of fun building the scene up together day by day, and that I'd be able to bring it out again next year, and the next and the next in what would become a lovely family tradition.

Er... no!

The calendar does build into a nice scene, with a fisherman sitting by a fire fishing in the lake, and some christmas presents under the christmas tree, a skateboard with helmet etc. or a not so nice scene depending on the way you look at it, with bank robbers using a snowball flinging device to fend off the cops and keep themselves out of the jailhouse, and so on. But the pieces are soooooo tiny, and so numerous it's impossible to avoid them getting lost (sometimes the instant they are removed from the bag), hoovered up or plain old eaten by my 18month old! It's the 22nd of December today and we probably have about 200 tiny pieces of lego from this set in a tuperware box (and probably another 50 or so in the hoover bag), and we've still got another couple of days to go!

On a plus side, both my boys have loved making other things with the tiny lego bits. My eldest makes really good space ships, and my 18month old enjoys experimenting with multiple head transplants stacked onto the baddie's body. So they've had loads of entertainment from this toy - just not the sort I had originally planned, but then again, I should know better by now. And I think when it's used like this - to make different things - it is quite educational. But is it durable - I'm afraid not.

My advice - either buy this for an older kid who is really careful with his toys (ideally for an older kid who has no younger siblings and who is really careful with his toys) and you'll probably have hours of fun together year on year putting the scene together each Christmas; or buy it on the understanding that it's a one-Christmas only kind of novelty. Oh, and only buy it if you're prepared to spend at least an hour every evening picking up the hundreds of minute pieces of lego scattered all around the place!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 December 2012
I bought this for an avid Lego fan (our son aged 11). It went down a lot better than a selection box and what is more, certainly more playable with. The figures are so cute and the dinky looking dog, think that was my favourite of all. Now this is the City range but like all Lego themed ones you can reuse these figures in any other combinations you wish (a couple of the are already sitting in a camper van as I type this up). You do not have to be a child to play with this Advent calendar just have some imagination and anything can be made.

Lots of different mini figures that are contained in a cardboard cutout advent calendar. Yes I did think that maybe the box could have been better designed, as it soon gets a dog eared look about it with it being just that cardboard. I suppose that if the box was made of plastic or such the price would go up, but at the end of the day it is not just the packaging but the mini figures that you buy it for. And the guessing of which figure it may be hiding behind which door.

But compared to buying lots of mini figures it works out cheaper and a lot more healthier to the teeth than chocolate. Plus the fun of guessing what is what is half the fun too.

I did the stupid thing though of making it a Christmas present. Should have made it an early one then the days could have be opened like a traditional advent calendar, rather than son wanting to start on Christmas Day then having to open all the previous day ones. So best to give it as an early December the 1st present.

I would buy another one but in a different range next time as son knows what is in this one so not as big surprise.
on 4 December 2011
I considered buying this advent calendar for a long time before I went for it. It os obviously a lot of money for an advent calendar (which was why I took so long in my decission) but in the end I decided that for the amount of Lego you gain from it it was worth the money.

I gave it to my 3 1/2 year old son on the evening of 30th November and he was overly excited at the prospect of it! He asked to go to bed because he was so excited about opening the first door.

It was fabulous that he got a mini figure as the first door, he has lots of other mini figures, so he played with them all on the advent scene.

He is excited every morning about opening it up!

Only negative I could give it is that it has no 'Christmas' relevance - kind of the opposite with its 'cops and robbers' theme. SO if you want a Christmassy advent calendar it may not be for you, but for the little boys and parents who love Lego - this is fab!!!

Well worth the money in the end and gives a true excitement every day for the whole month of December!
on 6 December 2011
I have bought these in the past and have never been disappointed. Again it's a hit with my 3 children. Even my 12 year old son still likes to open it and build the piece for the day.I find it's a good advent calendar for sharing as my 7, 10 and 12 yr olds are happy to take turns in opening. I was happy with the link to the police station this year as that's our most played with lego city building. I don't think you have to have the police station to enjoy it though. Although the Amazon price was a few pounds higher than high street shops, it included free postage and I got it the next day. The City version was cheaper than last years I'm sure.
A must for any Lego City fan.
on 19 December 2011
My little boy is Lego mad and adores all of the different themes (except anything pink and girlie which is clearly the work of the devil and must be avoided at all costs!). He loves this advent calendar and plays with the new additions and characters for hours each day. My biggest criticism is that he wakes up earlier than ever because he can't wait to open the next door! It isn't especially festive, however, so far the most Christmassy things are a little tree and some presents, and there are only 5 days left, so anyone expecting cute elves or wise men and donkeys will be disappointed. All in all, it's been well worth the price tag from a child satisfaction point of view.
on 4 January 2012
Very fast delivery! The received product was as as described - in excellent state! Given how it's difficult to find a Lego avent calendar in stores in December, this is a life saver! Many thanks!