on 2 July 2017
I read this book because I was looking for ideas for bringing greater variety into my diet, and also because I was curious. I did find the authors style challenging to read - it's just so crazeeeee! -as another reviewer has put it, but I tolerated it. Unfortunately however this book is full of misinformation and some important facts are rather glossed over, and that I can't tolerate. It's hard to know where to start but the fact that the diet Kris Carr recommends in the book cannot provide either enough Omega 3 fatty acids or any B12 at all is probably a good place: Both of these nutrients are absolutely essential to human life. She says we should take supplements to be on the safe side, and anyone who chooses to follow her advice and become a vegan should heed this advice.

Carr claims that actually humans aren't meant to eat much animal protein, and also makes the completely unsubstantiated claim that hunters and gatherers mostly gathered. there's a small problem with this claim: hunter gatherers in Europe would have starved during the winter months if this was so. An all, or even mostly, plant based diet is only possible in an industrialised/ post-industrialised world where the growing season can be artificially extended, grains and pulses can be grown and food shipped around the world to wherever it is wanted. When only what is naturally available is eaten, food would be very limited indeed during winter months, and without any cereal crops either, people would really struggle to take in enough calories to survive, never mind the lack of essential nutrients.

Like it or not we are are omnivores despite what Carr claims about our digestive system: she believes that meat gets stuck in the intestines and sits there rotting for weeks. Apart from her alarming ignorance of how a human digestive system works, this is just laughable. If meat was rotting in my digestive system I would be a very sick person indeed! In fact I'd likely be rotting myself. No, meat does not rot in your digestive system - if you've ever eaten anything your body couldn't handle then you know what happens: stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea, and lots of it!

But there is another, far more important reason why this doesn't happens to meat - Carr claims stomach acid is there to digest vegetables. No, no it isn't. It's there to digest proteins and some sugars found in animal proteins. The vegetable matter we eat is mainly digested by the bacteria in our intestines. The reason, in fact, we can be omnivores is because we have a microbiome which can break down fibrous matter. Stomach acid is there to kill unfriendly bacteria, and break down proteins. The resulting mush is called chyme and this makes its way through your intestines in a matter of hours. The waste from this process is excreted, usually the next morning. And if that doesn't convince you, surgeons conducting surgery on the intestines have yet to find ANY traces of rotting meat, or of the mysterious black gunge that meat eaters are often said to have polluting their intestines.

You might be forgiven for thinking I'm anti vegan - I'm not, I used to be one- I just dislike the myths and propaganda which seem to be spread by books like this one. Telling people things which are just plain wrong helps no one's health, may even be dangerous, and ultimately just makes vegans look silly. A vegan diet is made possible because of supplements and cheap oil which enables us to transport food around the world. It isn't a traditional diet and nor is it particularly environmentally friendly when you actually examine the facts (cheap oil, monocultures, land clearing and habitat disruption...) However it can be very helpful to some people because of the high level of antioxidants consumed when following a plan like this one. And it's certainly better than a diet of junk food or the SAD. But please! Let's stick to the facts: factory farming is indeed inhumane and terribly cruel (please don't buy cheap meat) but fortunately not all animals are reared that way and grass fed meat is becoming easier to find, as is game; meat won't go all yucky in your tummy and hunter gatherers might have skipped around with flowers in their hair but they sure as hell ate meat at dinner time.
on 16 January 2011
This is the book i have been waiting my whole life for. Kris gives the low down for all aspects of health and nutrition - mind, body and soul. With Kris' wit and beautiful style it feels like she is talking directly to you! Most other books i have read that would be put in this category would inspire me, yet feel unachievable for 'my lifestyle' yet Kris explains the A-Z of everything you need to know and it just feels madness to ignore these facts and the changes just seem to have filtered into my life. I can't recommend this book enough.
on 10 July 2016
Never arrived
on 21 March 2011
This book is just so worth every penny. Kris is a cancer survivor. Not through Chemo or drugs, but through education and major dietary changes. No I don't have cancer, but the same diet that cures cancer is also... funny this... the same diet that creates a disease free body.. prevention is better than cure obviously and of course it's the diet that makes us feel fantastic. So why am I reading it? Because, we always need inspiration and motivation. It's all too easy when one has no time to whack on the oven fries and chop up a salad and pretend you being half healthy. No so.... a Buddha Bowl (p217) would be a far better option. Therefore, I'm always boning up on the latest health knowledge and trying to mix with people who inspire and motivate me... and I have to say, this book really works. It explains EVERYTHING you need to know from pH to Poo and Green Juices to Gluten. It's not entirely raw, so it will appeal to a lot of people and the diet is very achievable and more importantly sustainable.

Anyway, this book could literally save your life! I love this book!
on 1 August 2015
I love this book. I highly recommend it to anyone who would like to improve their relationship with food and better understand how to eat healthily.
on 22 May 2012
Kris Carr beat a rare and incurable form of cancer through a revolution in what she ate. She writes in a wonderfully witty way, and is not afraid to say it as she thinks.

There is a reasonable amount of science (to explain how the body metabolizes various foods) - it is all written in a way that is easy to understand. There are many side bars from eminent scientists, doctors and nutritionists to back up Carr's writing.

I would heartily recommend this book to anyone who is remotely interested in improving their health. Since I started eating some (not all) of Carr's suggestions (green smoothies; little or no dairy; reduced caffeine and red meat) I have lost 4kg and feel much, much more alert and healthy.
on 7 January 2011
This book is definitely more than just a diet book. There is a lot of information with regard to taking care of yourself, cleansing, food production, animal welfare, exercise, nutrition, and a dose of spirituality. It is really more of a lifestyle overhaul, all backed up by input from experts and contributions from survivors of illness. Those, along with Carr's own story of living with cancer are really the motivating factors for me. It is so blindly obvious from reading this book that what you put into your body has a massive impact on how your body functions and your levels of wellness. It is impossible not to be convinced by Carr - her energy oozes from the pages.

Carr's story is certainly very inspiring. I have not yet signed up to a full 21 day cleanse (I have a nursing baby so probably not sensible for me to go all out juice crazy just at the moment), but elements of the book have definitely crept into my diet and lifestyle. It is making a big difference to my energy levels and general mood. I am juicing most days, eating a lot of good clean food, journaling and looking after me a bit more. I know that I will be adopting more elements from this lifestyle in the future.

I would recommend this book to anyone living with an illness or health issue, and also to anyone who just wants to boost their energy levels and feel cleaner and healthier. Also if you have any interest in veganism or food politics it is probably worth a read - although bear in mind that the author is American so it does not refer to UK food politics. - Enjoy!
on 6 January 2011
This book is fantastic. It is not purely a diet book as the title suggests, but a total healthy lifestyle book. Packed to the brim with useful ideas and tips for healthy living. I would recommend this book to anyone. Easy to understand and thoroughly enjoyable. Kris Carr makes learning about healthy living fun!
on 10 May 2015
I'm received what I bought
on 6 February 2012
This book was highly recommended to me by a holistic therapist, otherwise I would never have bought it because of the stupid title. In fact The book contains some important and useful health and diet information and sets out some interesting theories, many of which are worth paying attention to. It's the writing style that's the problem. It irritates in the same way as over-familiar phone calls from complete strangers. I am sure Ms Kris Carr means well and her journey has been remarkable but her book does not translate well into British English.