on 3 February 2006
Having read the other reviews, it looks as though most people didn't like getting sidetracked by the whole Anderith subplot. To be honest, I loved it. It was certainly a refreshing change, although it did seem to make the book slightly out of place with the rest of the series thus far.
I didn't find that a problem at all. And whilst the Chimes were never 'tangible', per se, I don't think they were ever meant to be the major "bad-guy". Instead, they were just something that Richard had to deal with instead of getting ot the root of the problem.
So that wasn't my problem either - what was my problem, was Kahlan (and possibly Cara, too).
After all that's happened in the previous books, after everything Kahlan has been through not just with material enemies, but with good and bad spirits (like Darken Rahl and the ever-present Keeper), she decides, for some reason, that she isn't going to believe in bad spirits anymore, and rubbishes Richard's worries about them. Even when people die mysteriously, and when she's given all the clues under the Sun, and a man who seems to be able to understand and accomplish everything ever possible (Richard) warns her, she still doesn't believe.
That was truly apalling story-telling.
But it gets much better towards the end. This may not be the best in the series, but I enjoyed (most of) it nonetheless 8)
on 11 April 2001
In this, the fifth of the series, Goodkind has created a story that remains engaging as he explores the subtleties of human emotions, loyalty, and trust and relationships both personal and political. Granted it is a much slower paced book than the others in the series, it is however intriguingly subtle with numerous subplots. All our favourite characters remain in the action and the stage is set for another book.
Goodkind has succeeded in creating a book that is both intellectually and philosophically challenging while keeping the epic fantasy plot engaging. You will find less of the hackneyed magic and battle senario here (although they are, of course, still there) and more of a journey into the self. Fantastic. I can't recommend it enough!
on 17 June 2008
Having read the first four books in the serious 'Sword of Truth', book 5 was nowhere near as good. T Goodkind has done an amazing job creating the first four books, which are outstanding, but this one was like coming up against a wall and being bounced right back off it. i had to force myself to read it, waiting in vain for something to happen - the word slow doesn't cover it.

T. Goodkind has an annoying habit of repeating himself throughout all the novels to remind you constantly about previous situations, this is bearable as the other previous books are so good you can forgive him for this, but i found this book so poor that it was near impossible to stick with it. i am ok with new characters, but in this novel it lost its connection to the main characters for far too long.

This was so.... boring and unnecessarily violent and abusive. he does seem to like his abuse!!
For me he over egged it in this novel and made me feel i had wrongly recommended these novels to my friends. i feel that many people who like Science Fiction Fantasy would be offended by the continual level of abuse, which detracts from the overall story. felt like he was filling in rather than writing from his heart/soul

So for me this book was a big disappointment. I would suggest he end the series sooner rather than later, and for the next novel in the series persevere to the same high quality level of writing and plot that he managed in the first 4 books!
on 29 July 2012
The sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind has to be one of the greatest fantasy fictional works ever written, that has delighted readers for years by standing out whilst new authors appear. Beginning with the magnificent `Wizards first rule' this epic saga continues to take your breath away with each volume, being such an inspired storyline that gets better and better. Soul of fire is the latest book that I have read of Terry Goodkind's which has proved to be just as fantastic as all of his other works, showing just how great this genre can be at its very best. Keeper of the sword of truth the reader follows the character of Richard on his journey, where he is faced with evil and plagued by an insane Emperor called Jagang. He has to travel to the Temple of the Winds to destroy the evil that threatens to overwhelm him, and spare the life of his beloved Kahlan. Full of dramatic battles and fast-paced action this magical tale will take you on the most exciting adventure, which you won't want to leave.

Terry Goodkind is an accomplished writer whose creativity and imagination is outstanding, that ranks alongside other literary giants such as JRR Tolkien, Kate Elliot, Raymond E Feist and Stephen Donaldson. This book had me sitting on the edge of my seat in suspense, with anticipation that moved me to tears and made me feel a real part of the author's world. A world full of fire breathing Dragons, powerful sorcerers, frightening beings that are evil and merciless, here is a book that will delight readers both young and old sparking ones imagination. An absolutely beautiful, striking cover to this volume this book stands out as being something totally magical and spellbinding, uniquely rich and original by an exceptional writer that I cannot enthuse about enough. True epic fantasy that is mesmerizing and utterly captivating, engrossing from beginning to end this series the sword of truth will touch your heart.
End of the previous book, Richard has the Sisters of the Dark and Jagang to deal with. At the end of this book, guess what he still has to deal with....? The author decided he'd better quickly introduce some new problems to keep the main characters busy. I'm beginning to get the feeling that each subsequent book will deal with progressively less and this series turns into a 300 volume special! The content really was poor with reams of pages on uninteresting sub-plots I just skipped past. Suddenly, towards the end of the book we start seeing movement, but you realise with a sinking feeling you're too close to the end of the book to be able to deal with the dangers facing the main characters - cue book 6...
on 8 July 2014
As my title says, this book is totally brilliant.
Terry Goodkind has the ability to create characters that are truly believable. In this book, not only do we follow characters we know and expand upon our knowledge of them, but Terry introduces new characters and within a few paragraphs we start to understand them.
The storyline is also riveting and has you not wanting to put the book down (I'm writing this at 2:30am). The plot moves along at a good pace and lulls you into thinking you know what's going to happen. Just as you get comfortable there is a twist that you didn't see coming and that turns things upside down.
Despite this being the 5th book in the series there is nothing old in the story. In fact, I was shocked to find out that I've already read 5 books. The whole story is so engrossing that I didn't realise that I had bought that many.
If you like fantasy novels then I urge you to read these, you will not be disappointed.
on 3 October 2000
After the brilliance of the first four volumes of this amazing fantasy series, I started Soul of the Fire with very high expectations.
The story starts well. The introduction of the Chimes is refreshing, after the previous three volumes all had the same 'bad guy'.
However, when the plot starts concentrating on new characters the book becomes all too entangled in political mystery and espionage.
After the first 10 chapters or so the plot really slows down and doesn't start becoming interesting for at least 400 pages. The main reason I think is the detachment of the story from the characters that we have grown to know and love in the previous four novels. The story could quite happily have focused on them and it would be infinitely better.
I, however am not a multi-million selling book writer and I hope Faith of the Fallen restores MY faith in this series.
on 9 November 2015
Is this the guy who used to keep me awake all night, with the first few books in the series, because I couldn't stop reading? Well, things have changed - the final books of this series are shallow, non-thrilling, and simply boring to be honest.
on 10 July 2013
This is a great series!! I love it and all the characters in it. Another great addition.

I enjoyed this book sooo much, I enjoyed learning more about the world Terry Goodkind has invented. We learn lots about a land called Anderith and the people in it.

The evil 'dream walker' has plans to overthrow the Midlands and is starting to implement them. Eek!

There is an evil in the land and many people are dying because of it. It's draining magic from the land and people with power are now like everyone else. Richard must fight for survival and the lives of his people.

Another great journey, another great story.
on 4 May 2015
As always this continues directly from the previous book. The first third progresses slowly then the pace of the story builds to violent and gripping heights. Wonderful characters some you love , others you love to hate.