on 31 March 2016
Read this one on the back of the first book as found it a lovely nice read. Lots of comedy and likeable characters, I found this one slightly less endearing as the first but may be because I read them back to back and probably should have had a little break. Will definitely look for a 3rd book if there is one in the future and enjoyed the historical references. Nice light easy holiday read :)
on 8 April 2017
Completely lost the charm of the first book.It became very ordinary and plodding.Every plot twist was signalled way ahead of time and there was not enough of the Lares which is what I bought it for.The characters which were sketchy in the first book became as lifeless as the plaster gnomes.
on 2 August 2017
Clever lovingly told tale about ...
Well read it and smile
A neat twist on history and whodunnit tales
Joyful observations on a small section of society and people
on 23 March 2017
Not as good as Ready Steady Dig, but still a good read. The roman gods and spirits Should have been featured more, I felt.
on 8 May 2017
Brilliant sequel. Colourful new characters, lots of plot twists, I enjoyed this read immensely, I hope that there is going to be a third book.
on 31 July 2017
Lots of fun and fantassy
on 2 September 2012
The first book was ok. I was hoping for a bit of a mystery with this one, but there was none. The culprits and the reasons were immediately obvious. Won't put a spoiler. I found the characters all very pompous, just too middle class, even the supposed working class ones used terms that no working class person would ever use. Wretched coin! The churches were full? On what planet? I realise this is fiction but I'm sorry, the author should stick to what she knows, the middle class, because her working class characterisation is awful.
66 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2017
Different. If you like the Detectorists on TV, you will love this.
on 3 March 2012
I read this because I loved the first book in the series, Ready, Steady, Dig! (The Rooks Ridge series). I enjoyed this too but not as much as the first one because I would have liked the lares to be in the story more - they are my favourite characters. This was still a pleasant and amusing read, I loved catching up with the characters that I'd got to know in the first story and I look forward to reading the next in series when it's available.
on 29 January 2012
liked this, read it as the sequel... read Ready Steady Dig first. I am sure I enjoyed it more for reading them in sequence

its just a gentle entertaining story, and I felt I knew the characters already, was good to catch up with them.