Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 16 August 2015
A delightful read reminding me of A Midsummer Night's Dream without the fairies! The antagonistic interplay between the H&h was full of humour and even the secondary characters contributed to the laugh out load moments. The characters were well drawn.
There isn't a great deal of action in the story, it's joy lies in the characters themselves.
I hadn't been sure about 'bothering' with this shorter story but I am so glad I did. It has become one of my favourite Heyer books along with the likes of Venitia, Arabella and the Grand Sophy.
on 18 August 2017
Always a good read - possibly not one the best ones but still enjoyable
on 1 June 2017
Fabulous
on 16 April 2017
Usual Georgette Hayer. Nice book
on 27 April 2017
Excellent regency romance.
on 7 September 2017
georgette heyer is great novalist a good teller of tales you are having the aventure with them
on 27 May 2017
I have read this book many times and always love it.
on 29 June 2017
Very satisfactory
on 2 August 2017
Entertaining and enjoyable.
on 7 April 2017
The first copy I ordered of this novel went missing in the post and I had to buy another one-THIS one.
The novel has a good variety of characters, with great descriptions of manners (or the lack of them). Great attention to detail eg.in facial expressions, emotions,clothing etc. There is definitely an underlying thread of comedy throughout the novel- though sometimes it is subtle.
There are predictable events...such as who will end up with who, and there are many scenes of such utter Ham it can be embarassing.
It is well written and very readable - and I always learn something whilst reading a Heyer novel...whether it happens to be information about that period of time, new vocabulary, etiquette etc.
In many ways it is an easy read...but hard work having to look up so many definitions. It seems that I am far from that Regency world, even though it seems to be a part of me which I am very familiar with - it is like looking through a window into another world - if that makes sense.
I feel the novel would make a good play or even make a good movie or series.
If I had to give it a score I would say 7/10.
Interesting facts...Faro is not only a card game but The Faro's Daughter is also another name for The Eye of Horus and can also mean vagina.