Customer reviews

Dub Fever
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.49

on 4 July 2011
Like "A Customer", I was initially wary of buying this- the bargain basement price appeared to suggest "cheap cash-in" and there's a vast amount of King Tubby sets out there to choose from. But his review convinced me to take a punt, and I'm so glad I did. For about half the price of your average magazine, you get an incredible introduction to a sonic genius.

These dubs leap out of the speakers with a unique combination of in-your-face clarity and deep warmth, and they haven't dated one bit. The 20 (largely instrumental) tracks blast and shimmer their way right through you. Solid drums and bass (courtesy of Sly & Robbie), guitar and keyboards are all filtered through Tubby's unique sonic imprint. I finished this CD thinking three things: 1) how brilliant King Tubby was, 2) how rubbish it is that he's dead, and 3) contemplating how much money I'm going to have to cough up exploring this new world of sounds.

For the initiated, I cannot hope to do justice explaining how great this album is. You already know. For those looking to explore Dub Reggae but unsure of where to start, why are you still reading these daft ramblings?

Buy this incredibly-priced CD, and be transported...
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 October 2011
While agreeing with other reviewers that this cd is currently so cheap to buy that you can't really go wrong, I wouldn't really put much of the music on it in with the really top-ranking Tubby productions. If I was to have only one King Tubby cd in my collection, it wouldn't be this one...but at this price you can check it out for yourself!
on 21 December 2017
as described
on 4 November 2014
Skips a little
on 29 October 2011
I can't help but agree with some other reviews here.
Yes, I was put off by the price and thought this must be some sort of low-fi cash-in.
But, as I was buying some other albums, added it to my list for £2.99.
It turned out to be an inspired purchase. Absolutely fantastic and a great introduction to Dub and King Tubby.
I recommend you try it - if like me you love it you'll soon be buying more. If you don't, then it's only £2.99 gone south.
on 25 January 2013
I first came across DUB in the 70s as a young punk. Hadnt given it much thought till I came across Trojan Dub cd 1973-1981which is great this led me to buy Dub Fever you have got to buy it is an absolute corker tracks 19 @ 20 are probably the best dub I have ever heard and played loud in your car with plenty of bass certainly gets you noticed. Go on get a copy you know you wanna.
on 4 January 2015
very good
on 10 November 2014
Wicked tunes for people who love dub a must buy.