Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.79

on 4 July 2011
Like "A Customer", I was initially wary of buying this- the bargain basement price appeared to suggest "cheap cash-in" and there's a vast amount of King Tubby sets out there to choose from. But his review convinced me to take a punt, and I'm so glad I did. For about half the price of your average magazine, you get an incredible introduction to a sonic genius.

These dubs leap out of the speakers with a unique combination of in-your-face clarity and deep warmth, and they haven't dated one bit. The 20 (largely instrumental) tracks blast and shimmer their way right through you. Solid drums and bass (courtesy of Sly & Robbie), guitar and keyboards are all filtered through Tubby's unique sonic imprint. I finished this CD thinking three things: 1) how brilliant King Tubby was, 2) how rubbish it is that he's dead, and 3) contemplating how much money I'm going to have to cough up exploring this new world of sounds.

For the initiated, I cannot hope to do justice explaining how great this album is. You already know. For those looking to explore Dub Reggae but unsure of where to start, why are you still reading these daft ramblings?

Buy this incredibly-priced CD, and be transported...
on 21 November 2002
if, like me, you have seen this album all over the place and been put off by the ridiculously low price i would like to reassure you that this is a fine record and a worthy purchase. i know a lot about reggae and this is some of the purest and most irresistably danceable dub ever recorded at king tubby`s. sly & robbie feature in every track and the trademark tubby reverb and electronic overdubs are mindblowing. all i can do is urge anyone into dub to buy this amazingly cheap cd wherever they happen to see it.
on 13 October 2011
While agreeing with other reviewers that this cd is currently so cheap to buy that you can't really go wrong, I wouldn't really put much of the music on it in with the really top-ranking Tubby productions. If I was to have only one King Tubby cd in my collection, it wouldn't be this one...but at this price you can check it out for yourself!
on 23 April 2004
I bought this cd because I wanted to know more about this genre called'Dub'.
From what I had heard, it was a kind of Reggae and there is somethingspecial about it. It gives inspiration to modern urban music such as Drum& Bass, I would hear people describe certain D&B tunes as 'Dubby' and Iwould have no idea what they meant. King Tubby was reccomended by the BBC,so I had to check this out.
After putting in the cd, the first thing that hit me was the loudness andclarity, Tubbys tunes are well engineered and louder than your averagetune, there is big emphasis on the bass which is very powerful. The tunesare mainly instrumental and use plenty of special effects, the mostnotable one being echo or 'delay', which has to be heard to bebelieved.
Theres definatley a special vibe to this music, unmissable when othermusic such as drum and bass try to borrow from it. So what's a dubby drumand bass tune? check out 'DJ Hype - Reflex' which appropriatley useselements from 'King Tubby's 'Jah Jah Dub' on this cd.
Theres different moods to tunes on here, from the happy sounding 'skankingdub' to the uneasy and darker 'easy dub'. If you like reggae or just wantto discover the dub style, definatley check this cd out. HighlyReccomended.
on 29 October 2011
I can't help but agree with some other reviews here.
Yes, I was put off by the price and thought this must be some sort of low-fi cash-in.
But, as I was buying some other albums, added it to my list for £2.99.
It turned out to be an inspired purchase. Absolutely fantastic and a great introduction to Dub and King Tubby.
I recommend you try it - if like me you love it you'll soon be buying more. If you don't, then it's only £2.99 gone south.
on 25 January 2013
I first came across DUB in the 70s as a young punk. Hadnt given it much thought till I came across Trojan Dub cd 1973-1981which is great this led me to buy Dub Fever you have got to buy it is an absolute corker tracks 19 @ 20 are probably the best dub I have ever heard and played loud in your car with plenty of bass certainly gets you noticed. Go on get a copy you know you wanna.
on 21 October 2011
King tubby has produced another top dub album keeps you skanking all night well worth having along side all your top Dub stuff
on 4 November 2014
Skips a little
on 29 December 2012
i was awfully disapointed as this cd was more scratched than joseph fritzl's basement and as jittery as muhammed ali's hands, not enjoyable having a constant glitch through tubbys tasty dub riddims
on 10 November 2014
Wicked tunes for people who love dub a must buy.