TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 December 2013
Noah and the Whale's third album 'Last Night on Earth' is easily still my favourite of the three, I have yet to hear the recent fourth, but it's on my list of CDs to buy.

The album opens up with the positive and inspirational 'Life Is Life', with lyrics that have inspired and helped me through a very difficult year. The lead single 'L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.' is another feel-good song, which is the general tone of the album. Other tracks that are almost guaranteed to lift my mood include 'Give It All Back' and 'Waiting For My Chance To Come'.

If your looking for music that will encourage you to come to terms with life and to move forward, then you've found it with 'Last Night on Earth', which contains ten excellent tracks, all sung by Charlie Fink, who has a beautiful voice. Thanks guys!
One person found this helpful
on 8 July 2011
After the patchy but potential-packed Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down and the indulgent, over-egged dirge of The First Days of Spring, I was beginning to wonder if Charlie Fink was about to throw in the towel. It was only after reading some rather curious reviews of this album (the phrase "drive-time music" came up at one point, I believe) that I thought I'd give it a try and I'm more than glad I did. It has been a very, very pleasant surprise.

This is a wonderful slice of summer-y, shimmering, heartfelt and (above all) intelligent pop, with not a duff track on it. From the anthemic statement of intent "Life is Life" to the swooningly beautiful "Old Joy", this is a pleasure to listen to, a glorious and uplifting rising from the ashes of despond. It's the perfect soundtrack to a sunny day, with its tales of hope and memory, all wrapped up in a sweet and upbeat tunes that will make you smile. While usually averse to such pop-dom, this has become one of my top albums of 2011, and I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone.
on 2 January 2015
I've had no complaints from the recipient (my wife). As a fan of theirs, it must be as good as she would have expected. From my point of view (not being a fan) I've not heard it and even if I had I probably wouldn't be able to say whether it was good or bad!

However, as you or even I would expect, It was packaged satisfactorily, and sealed in celophane as new item. One could not have asked for more. Other than for me they could have included a new album by Slipknot, for me for free.
on 21 April 2012
Heard them on the TV and on the strength of that I bought the CD. It took a couple of plays to get into it, but I really enjoy it. The only criticism is that the music is very controlled - there are very few wild solos or guitar riffs. I would have liked to hear them cut loose and lose a little of that control sometimes. Having said that, there are several strong songs on this album. Waiting for my chance to come, LIFEGOESON, Life is life and Wild thing all stand out for me, but its a great album overall. The band come from a Folk style, and you can still hear some of that influence in between the catchy pop tunes and smart lyrics. If this puts you off, have a listen, its got more interest value in terms of the tunes and the lyrics than simple pop and the musicianship is very good.
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 16 March 2012
I'd been thinking about buying this album for a long while after enjoying the single 'Life is Life', and after finally purchasing it I don't understand why I didn't buy it ages ago. This is the first Noah and the Whale album I have purchased and it is simply beautiful, consisting of songs that are easy to listen to and enjoy. I'm certainly going to be looking at their previous albums as this is fantastic. My only grumble is that I wish the album was a tad longer, but at the end of the day I'd rather have quality rather than quantity. Highly recommended.
on 15 October 2017
bought this for my mum who wouldn't stop singing it when it came out r she loves it!!!!!!!
on 24 May 2012
This is my first introduction to NATW properly having only heard other material on the radio etc... Looking at some reviews it states that this isnt Noah at their best, but I totally disagree! This album is such an uplifting experience from start to finish and is simply amazing. I must say I am an album lover, rather than individual songs and hate buying a record on the back of one song, only to find the rest of the material on the album is not to my taste. But this isnt the case here, the whole album is fantastic!

My only criticism is its length at just over 30mins but I'd rather have a short, very good album, rather than a long one with "filler" songs in it ( Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium" for example).

Having heard their older material I must say this IS their best work and should be a worthwhile purchase for anyone. If you are into "ALBUMS" check out "...And you will know us by the trail of Dead - Worlds Apart" too.
on 22 February 2012
Bought this album after hearing a few Noah and the Whale songs - L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N and Tonight's the Kind of Night - which I really liked. It is a truly fantastic album! Almost all of the songs are catchy and great, and I went on to buy Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down after. On buying their first album, you can really say how much they've come on - I find the tunes a lot better. Wild Thing and Old Joy aren't brilliant, but almost all of the other songs are. Give It All Back and Waiting for my Chance to Come really stand out for me because they have so much more emotion in them than most of the other songs on the album and most popular music today! It's so nice to hear current music that they have written and performed themselves, and isn't full of autotune!
on 1 July 2017
Top album! Don't miss it!
on 3 December 2015
I really liked the album, after hearing a song or two on the radio I felt that I wanted to hear more and i wasn't disappointed.