on 29 January 2012
We were looking for a replacement for Autosketch which we have used as a small business for a number of years, and is now not supported for Windows 7. Our requirements were for a simple package as we only produce occasional basic schematic drawings, and 2D floor plans.
This package is just the job. It can import and export Autocad files type DWG and DXF which is also useful. It could do with a tutorial, but if you have a basic knowledge of CAD software then you should be OK.
on 21 January 2013
I have been looking for a small CAD package to undertake a few 2D diagrams whithout spending a fortune. With the mixed reviews on this package I was torn as to whether to even risk wasting the £7 and give it ago. Suffice to say I stuck my neck out and ordered it. One of the main reasons of my decision was that I wanted to use it on a Toshiba NB510 Netbook which has a 1024 x 600 resolution (many of the CAD packages about need a bigger resolution to run). For your information my netbook has been upgraded to 2048 MB RAM and from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Home Premium. One of the reviews stated it didn't work on windows 7, in my case it does. It also works with a Wacom Bamboo Pen graphics tabletToshiba NB510-11G 10.1-inch Netbook (Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Starter)Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet.

Back to the package; From the start it has been a uphill stuggle and initially it took me many sessions to even place a line, but a few weeks on, having an hours dabble now and then, it is slowly coming together. As others have pointed out it isn't the most intuative package but reading a bit from the accompanying PDF manual and having a go has proved successful. When you start up the program a pop up appears with a tip and you can read as many tips as you want before getting on with your drawing. So far I have managed to draw some simple diagrams including angles and circles and placed text and arrows and saved the window view as a jpeg. When you start picking up the shortcuts etc it starts to get easier and you feel your getting somewhere.

Would I recommend it? A cautious yes, if you're not in a rush and have time to dip in and out of it. I think it will meet my needs in time, which admittedly are not great. I haven't had much time to move on to the 3D element so I cannot comment on that aspect of the program. Bottom line if you are looking for a programme that is intuative straight out of the box you will be dissapointed, but for about £7 I think this is actually a reasonable piece of software.....just keep hanging in there!
on 18 December 2013
I bought this because I had to upgrade my PC to Windows 7 and the original Total CAD 2D-3D software wouldn't work on it. The labeling suggests strongly that this is an upgrade of what, for me, was a simple, but very capable CAD system., sold by the same software company. What does "Version 2" suggest? It certainly cannot mean "Nothing like the original" if it to mean anything at all.

It is nothing of the kind. It is a very complicated, menu-driven system which has no similarity at all to the original. It won't even read the original's file format!

OK, it's very cheap, but it'll take me a long time to learn, and what do I do about my old drawing files?
on 18 September 2013
As an experienced Cad user I can say this is not for beginners. The manual is woeful to say the least and there is no logic to the set-out. I found it possible to set up a drawing - not helped by the manual being obviously written for the American market - but it is not easy. I cannot imagine how an inexperienced user could possibly make sense of it. Compared with AutoCAD it does not stack up but if you are going to buy an "easy to use" Cad program, this is not it.
on 7 September 2013
Had version one and couldn't make head or tale of it printed the manual but still couldn't get my head round it. Put it away and some time later bought version 2. Thought it would be the similar to 1 but no completely different. Like previous reviews its not easy to use and I have barely scratched the surface but I have managed to knock out some drawings that are more than adequate. Admitted it does take time to learn but as you go on and try different techniques you realize that this is a powerful CAD program for the non professional. If you want to spend 500 quid on a CAD program all well and good but if you put the time in learning the operating system you will be more than surprised at the results you can achieve.

Personally I'd recommend it but remember it takes time to learn
on 28 May 2015
Does exactly what I need - draw accurate plans of a proposed extension. You can enable a grid, and grid snapping; I did this and drew my plans to the nearest centimeter, perfect. There are other more pricey solutions out there, but this one does absolutely everything I need and more. No, I can't 'walk through' my design in 3d (I don't think?) but I don't need to, I need to satisfy the planning officers, and they don't need to walk through anything either.

Perfect for any developments you've got planned and worth every penny, before you go and spend hundreds, try this little program
on 5 September 2012
I have used a number of professional CAD systems,(mostly self taught) over the last 15 years but I found this totally frustrating and not at all intuitive. Maybe it didn't help that i was in a hurry and tired at the time, but a lack of useful starter guide did not help. In the end i gave up and tried another approach and downloaded a free graphics package which met my needs in this instance. For £7 i would call this buy an inexpensive mistake, maybe i will look at it again when i have a spare few hours and be pleasantly surprised??
on 21 November 2011
I am no CAD expert but have used Autocad whilst at work. Now retired I purchased Total Cad to do a few 2D drawings for myself. What a waste of time. Loaded the software, printed the manual - didnt even match. After several hours of trying to make sense of them I gave up. Deleted the software, disc in the bin and manual to recycling bin. The only reason it gets one star is that I only wasted £5 to buy it.
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2014
It's cheap, it's not as user friendly as the earlier versions of this software because now, just like AutoCAD 2004, you need a bloody great big thick instruction book....bought seperately of course. Still, as I first stated, it's cheap so maybe if you're seriously into CAD it might just be for you.
on 19 April 2016
As a new user, after loading the CD Rom Version of Total CAD 2D-3D Version2 (2010) to my Laptop I found it to be very impressive and after going through the excellent Getting Started Tutorials I used it to import some industry standard AutoCAD (2011) DWG Files that had been prepared by Autocad draughtsmen under my direction in 2011. Whilst the major Autocad drawing contents (Plans, Elevations, Sections) were imported successfully the Drawing Frame, Title Block, and Text Tables would not import. I was however able to modify the imported extracts by changing unreadable Line Weights/Colours and Text Colours to output readable copies to an A4 colour laser printer. Whilst this exercise was quite tedious I did find it useful in getting to know some useful aspects of the software. In conclusion, with an insignificant purchase price Total CAD 2D-3D is extremely useful and can be used to generate and output exact scaled drawings to A4 or A3 Laser Printers, particularly useful for house/garden layouts, etc, in addition to the facility of importing and modifying extracts from AutoCAD DWG Files. As with all software however, there will be a significant learning curve for new users to get up to speed in producing useful drawings, without instruction from experienced user or training course.