Customer reviews

on 16 March 2017
Another great book by Patricia Briggs .
the book deserves this rating it keeps you on you're toes .with the plot Mercy three lead character has a knack of getting herself in to trouble Tunis book is no different .it has a good story line is very well written with some unusual and fun characters all supernatural of course. In this book Mercy is on her honeymoon with Adam Alpha werewolf. And they are fighting 90 ft river monsters as you do as,well as meeting some very ancient people.
I w kills recommend this book to anybody who likes supernatural

Stories.
on 20 August 2017
Mercy and her Alpha mate Adam get married and head off to the wilderness in their honeymoon camper van. Of course there is something large and very evil lurking in the bottom of the Columbia river they've camped next to and it is preying on the locals and campers. Soon Mercy is having to figure out how to destroy it as it has already marked her physically on its next prey. Soon she starts to find out more about her father's heritage and Native American Indian legends to face down the fearsome river predator. ..
Another great Mercy story (and makes you love Adam even more!)
on 28 May 2017
Another purchase as a present from a wish list.
on 18 August 2017
Good
on 29 April 2017
Love this series the wolves and coyote are awesome characters.
on 31 August 2017
Fab book can't wait to get the next one
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 March 2014
I've recently reread all the previous books in both the Mercy Thompson and the Alpha & Omega series and I've loved them all as much, if not more, than the first time I read them. I can't tell you how much I love the world that Patricia Briggs has created and it's been like taking the time to catch up with old friends. As much as I've enjoyed rereading the earlier books I was excited to get to River Marked though, I never got this far when I read the series for the first time so I was looking forward to that exciting first read where everything is new to you and I have to say the author didn't let me down and this is another fab instalment in the series.

I have loved watching Mercy and Adam's relationship grow throughout the series, I just love the way Adam totally gets Mercy and has never once tried to change anything about her. She might drive him crazy with the way she always manages to get into trouble because his instincts are to protect her and keep her safe but he understands her need to take care of the people she loves and he supports her in that which is something I really respect him for. He's also been so incredibly patient and supportive of her as she recovers from the ordeal she went through in Iron Kissed, it's not something she'll ever completely forget but she has come a long way down the road to recovery and that is in part because of Adam. Anyway, I don't want to say too much about what happens between them in this book but I will tell you that the first few chapters were so good that I had tears of happiness in my eyes as I read them. In fact, they were so good that I had to reread them before I could continue with the rest of the book! It's absolutely fantastic to look back at how far they've come as a couple but I also loved seeing Mercy realise how many other people love and care for her. She's always felt like she was alone and didn't quite fit in anywhere so it's wonderful to see her look at her friends in a new light.

A lot of this book is spent with Mercy and Adam away from their home and I have to admit that I did miss spending time with the side characters I've grown to love. It wasn't quite the same without Samuel, Warren and Kyle or even Zee and Stephan but we do get to meet some interesting new characters and we get to find out more about Mercy's Walker heritage which I really enjoyed. There is one new character in particular that I really hope we're going to end up seeing a lot more of as the series continues - he has the potential to become a new favourite! As much as I missed the other characters I did really appreciate getting to spend more time with Mercy and Adam, seeing them grow more comfortable as a couple and start to really figure out how to communicate properly, in fact just seeing how much they mean to each other was brilliant.

Only Mercy could go on holiday to the middle of nowhere and find herself facing an enemy that not even Adam can help her with so of course it's not long before she's up to her eyes in trouble. She may have found some new allies but she's got to face this one alone to a certain extent and it's not going to be an easy task. There are some brilliant fight scenes towards the end of the book and what turns out to be quite an epic battle which had me on the edge of my seat. River Marked had a slightly different feel to it compared to the previous books but it made a nice change and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 March 2011
Mercy Thompson is one of the few urban fantasy heroines who isn't all lily-white -- she's half Amerindian, from whence her coyote shapechanging comes.

And Patricia Briggs' sixth urban fantasy "River Marked" delves into that oft-neglected side of her heroine. The plot is patchy and rather meandering at times, but Briggs keeps it moving with her strong earthy prose, likable characters, and some new insights into the world of shapeshifters. It's nice to get away from the Tri-Cities area!

When her mother starts overplanning her wedding to Adam (doves! Balloons! BUTTERFLIES!), Mercy decides to have a small, intimate ceremony instead. And they immediately embark on an idyllic honeymoon in a remote canyon on the Columbia River. But Mercy soon stumbles across some connections to her long-dead father -- other Amerindian shapechangers, ghosts, and true dreams.

As she searches for connections to others of her kind, Mercy stumbles across something much nastier, when she is "river marked" while rescuing a wounded man (who was bitten by something barracudaesque). The secret to dealing with the river creature will send Mercy back through ancient lore -- and the discovery of her father's true identity...

The previous five Mercy Thompson books all took place in the same general area, so it's a little refreshing to get out of town in "River Marked." Oh, the regular supporting cast makes appearances -- from the mopey Stefan to Mercy's cutthroat mama -- but most of the action takes place in the rugged canyons and murky rivers.

The biggest problem is that that the plot is pretty patchy. The main focus is on Mercy's search for her roots, so the river-monster and otterkin subplots sometimes get shoved to the sidelines. But Briggs' prose is strong and earthy, with some warmly snarky moments ("You stop baiting him -- or I'll call my mom") and some otherworldly ones (Mercy's talks with Coyote).

And it's good to see more exploration of Mercy's roots -- we know she was raised by werewolves, but Briggs really delves into her mystical, mysterious heritage here, and it adds a new dimension to her without seeming Mary-Suesque. Almost as important: she and Adam are now a full-fledged couple in every sense of the word, but they still have some wrinkles to iron out.

Patricia Briggs' "River Marked" is light on plot, but heavy on atmosphere, characterization, and a suitably monstrous magical foe. It's not the best of the series, but it's a powerful book.
VINE VOICEon 20 March 2011
I sadly have to agree with most of the other reviews- this latest installment was a disappointment.

I think it's safe to say that I, like most other fans of the series, was really looking forward to this book and expecting great things from it. In the end, it didn't *feel* like all the other Mercy books and couldn't keep my attention.

I felt the book was short and rushed- especially at the beginning when a whole lot of things happened in the space of a chapter or so.

All my favourite characters were hardly in it: Stephen, the pack, Jesse, Zee etc. It was basically just Mercy and Adam the entire time. Perhaps that was the problem: even although she's the leading character, maybe Mercy can't carry a book on her own, and needs the secondary characters.

As I mentioned before, Mercy's "voice" seemed different as well, which was distracting. Her and Adam's relationship has changed IMO and I don't like it.

I did quite enjoy the ending which redeemed the rest of the book a little bit. But it was a shame I was so bored and restless with the first 3/4. It just wasn't doing anything for me.

It was also interesting finding out more about Mercy's past, and especially meeting Coyote (who I loved and hope to see again).

Fans of the book...well, it's a must read, but be warned not to get expectations too high. Hopefully the next one will be better.
New Comers: I suggest starting with the first novel in the series Moon Called: Mercy Thompson, book 1. You'll like her if you enjoy such authors as: Ilona Andrews, Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong, Charlaine Harris.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 September 2015
Mercy manages to land herself in deadly peril again when she and Adam head off for their honeymoon. On the plus side, she meets other Walkers for the first time and uncovers more about her deceased father.

The enemy that Mercy faces in this book is probably the biggest so far in this series. She's got some powerful help in the forthcoming fight; many of whom are new characters introduced in this book, who will make equally impactful but brief appearances in later books (yes I've already read books 7 and 8). Again expect a ridiculous amount of action, plenty of fights, and an impending battle led by one of the feistiest and stubbornly loyal heroines you'll ever come across. This series just continues to get better and better.