Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 29 September 2016
Totally agree with everything said by others who have given this one star rating, except I can't see that anyone mentioned the amount of blasphemy... totally unnecessary, although I realize that folk with limited vocabulary and imagination can't seem to get through life without using it. Bought this for kindle, can't remember how much I paid... hope it wasn't a lot. Wouldn't have it for free now, having struggled through the first couple of chapters.
on 3 September 2014
GREAT Reading Laugh!
VINE VOICEon 29 July 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Two English people decide to chuck it all in and run a B&B in France - absolutely the dream of just about every disillusioned middle class British professional. It's slightly weird: there's a ghost in the local shop.

Our heroes have to overcome financial difficulties plus the entanglements of local power politics.

The countryside and people are lovingly described by someone who clearly knows the area well. This is sweet, funny and has a happy ending. Works for me!
VINE VOICEon 10 September 2011
L'auberge

A lovely light hearted book. I found this easy to read, amusing, and absorbing. If you have ever stayed in France, you might recognise some aspects, though naturally the characters are larger than life and perhaps stereotyped. They are, in the main, wonderful down to earth characters with no guile or hang ups about the world in general. The main exception is the mayor, who is the villain of the peace, but actually perhaps.... I cannot say too much without giving away the plot!
I could see the auberge, the garden, the door, the bedrooms, everything as it was described.
I liked it for it's portrayal of French village life, for its descriptions, for the characters and because it is such a light, uplifting read, which nevertheless is perceptive of character and has some surprises up its sleeve!
on 19 May 2011
L'Auberge is everything books of its type should be, its sweet, charming and fun. The author creates characters you like, ones you don't, and more importantly makes you care about their lives and loves, I even shed a tear! I suspect some of the people and stories are based on the author's experiences, but that just adds to the fun of it all. I'm always on the lookout for new authors to try - by the looks of things this is a first novel, it'll be good news if there is more to come.
on 31 May 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What a delight this book is.
It is rare to find a genuinely funny & moving book that keeps you (in my case) rapidly turning each page & ignoring familial demands, because I really wanted to know what would happen next !
Julia Stagg has produced a novel that is not only great fun....the running joke about poor French cooking is a delight, with a punch line to die for !( I don't want to spoil it for other readers ); but is also moving ,without mawkish sentiment.
The cast of characters is a joyful mix of the naive (the English), the unintelligably wise (Annie) & hissably Machiavellian(the Mayor).
My only complaint, & it's HUGE, is , that this book only covers the first 3 months of ownership of the Auberge. All I can say is Ms Stagg needs to write the sequel quickly, because I'm already suffering from Fougas withdrawal symptoms.
This has the potential to be a series which will run, & run. And if the BBC or ITV are looking for their next big thing, they could do worse than look at this.
I've already lost my Vine copy of this book...my mother ran off with it, & I've ordered 3 copies to give as present's . Yes, I really do think it's THAT good.....Enjoy...I did
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 June 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I enjoyed reading L'Auberge and it would make perfect holiday reading because it is very light and easy reading.

It's a fictional story of an English couple who but the auberge in a small French village upsetting some of the more traditional residents who want it to remain in French hands. There are many ups and downs from the day they arrive and discover their memories of the auberge they have purchased are rather rose tinted compared to the reality.

As a first novel it's pretty good, but there are some random elements to the story that should have really been edited out (I don't want to spoil the plot so that is as much as I will mention) as they don't add anything to the book and seem to distract. Some characters seem bland and without enough detail to get a good sense of who they are while others are much more rounded. There are a lot of different things going on in the lives of the characters, many of which are not resolved by the end of the book. Possibly there are already plans for a second book? The plot was predictable but ultimately I enjoyed the book and I read it quickly.

Recommended if you are looking for a light holiday read and enjoy reading this kind of fish-out-of-water tale.
VINE VOICEon 7 June 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Firstly I really enjoyed this book, similiar to a Year in Provence or the Chris Stewart Books 'The ALmond Bloosom Appreciation Society' in that an English couple try to start up a restaurant/Inn in a small mountain village, but in this case the local Mayor tries to prevent this happening and shut them down, also how the locals come to their rescue and the story around that happening. There is a lot of nice humour and the characters are nicely fleshed out, You obviously know how it's going to end, but, it's fun getting there..The author gauges the pace nicely and we feel a connection with the locals as they appear in the story. A nice light read and suitable for anyone, easy to dip into with a lot of pleasant humour and the occasional outright laugh.
on 6 June 2012
I instantly felt at home in Fogas, where village life seemed so familiar to our little French village, especially as they too have the ever present divide in village politics with power hungry would be mayors! It is obvious that Julia Stagg has lived in and experienced French village life first hand; you really couldn't make up some of the things that happen and I was pleased to see Johnny Hallyday made a guest appearance too - no French village knees-up would be complete without him. The book has so many lovely characters whose lives are all entwined, both as the story is being told and from past events, which gives us lots of `will they won't they' moments.

I laughed a lot, especially as English food was often the `joke', but unless you have come across a real French person's reaction to our cuisine you wouldn't believe it. I also cried at the end, and the last few chapters had me gripped not knowing which way things were going to swing - it was one of those books that made me stay up way too late at night!

Anyone who has lived in a French village will understand and nod knowingly, anyone who thinks they would like to live (and work) in a French village should read it and learn from it!

Thankfully, Julia's second novel The Parisian's Return, also set in Fogas, starts immediately L'Auberge finishes. I think Jacques was my favourite character in L'Auberge, and as he is central to life at the epicerie I can't wait to find out what happens to him, and what life has in store for the other villagers.
VINE VOICEon 6 July 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very charming book. It is pretty well written and carried me along to the end. The story revolves around two English people who have bought a dilapidated auberge in a small french village. While many people are delighted to welcome the English couple, some have plans for the Auberge themselves including the mayor. Although there is an initial impression that resistance to the English is due to the fact that they are English and will be terrible cooks, the author reasonably quickly moves one on to understand that the motivations are much more complex than that.....

If you to know detail - read the book!

One warmed to most of the characters and the author had an extra little twist in the story that, while really not necessary to make this a good read, was funny and poignant at the same time.