Customer reviews

Jesus of Nazareth [DVD] [1977]
Format: DVD|Change

on 31 March 2013
Although not having watched this film for 36 years, I am convinced there were some cuts in the recording since the original. However I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and the series of events I feel are more or less according to the biblical teachings. Robert Powell is superb and it's something of a pity that he was involved in that rubbish with Jasper Carrot later on, after such a authentic performance as 'Jesus'. The story has a large and talented cast and I would recommend it to others.
on 1 May 2013
The movie arrived quickly, and that made me happy. This movie of Jesus is the best movie ever made. The actors are amazing, Robert Powell makes a good Jesus, the movie is detailed and pretty accurate. Running time is a little bit over 6 hours and it starts with the nativity and continues till his death. It's directed by Franco Zeffirelli who is one of the best directors in the world. I've watched this movie many times, and still love it. It's so inspiring :) <3
on 5 February 2013
Excellent, very moving, what a weak thing to say. What Jesus went through for us is unbelievable . I shall view it again.
on 6 November 2006
First of all, it should be pointed out that this film is a superb piece of television, beautifully crafted from a first-rate director, and marvellously performed by one of the best ensembles ever to grace our screens. In Franco Zeffirelli, this film benefited from a director of great vision who was sympathetic to the storyline, and Robert Powell's performance as Jesus is representative of both the compassionate grace of Christ, as well as demonstrating his strength of character (for instance, when challenging the Pharisees).

I have long awaited the full version of this film to be released on DVD in the UK; in between its last (dreadfully edited) video release and this current offering, I have acquired a Dutch DVD edition (fine for viewing, as the subtitles are removable), and even an Australian edition, of which the packaging actually echoes the original 80s video release, and therefore is of sentimental value. The reasons for the huge disappointment, however, are twofold: 2007 sees the 30th Anniversary of this film's first showing, and it would have been appropriate for this edition to have included either a booklet or DVD extras within the packaging. Neither exists, and as such is a wasted opportunity. More disturbing, however, is the blatant untruth of the presentation: it is labelled on the box as being "374 minutes approx."; how approximate do they wish to be? It is actually a mere 363 minutes, the remaining eleven having been omitted from episode 4, and producing a serious flaw in the plot line. We miss the fictitious (though dramatically necessary) scene where the priest Zerah persuades Judas to bring Jesus to the Sanhedrin; but more shockingly, we have also lost the essential scene that follows (this time based on the gospel narrative), from the early part of the Last Supper sequence, in which Jesus predicts Judas' betrayal and sends him out on his errand. The action on the DVD only resumes with Judas leaving the Upper Room, with anyone unfamiliar with the story (possibly young children watching for the first time) at a loss about what is now going on.

The blurb on the back of the DVD packaging announces for all the world to read that this is the "full, unedited version" of the film. It is NOT, and ITV DVD have made a heinous error in promoting it as such. Did they not realise there would be aficionados who would spot the omissions? Was the problem that the last two episodes couldn't be squeezed onto a single disc? I would have quite happily settled for the programme spread over four discs if necessary, if only to have had the full film. Surely there is a contravention of advertising standards here, and the distributors should be called to account. It is impossible to recommend this edition in the light of these factors, although people coming to the film for the first time may wonder why anyone is fussing. In my case, I grew up with this film. There has never been a production which I have watched so often (in spite of its length), no movie which I know quite as well by heart. Yet here I am, STILL waiting for a full UK release, despite the billing attached to this edition. Please, avoid buying, and contact ITV DVD to encourage them to re-release - maybe in time for the 30th Anniversary - an edition we can finally call, "complete".
1414 Comments| 388 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2013
Still remember the TV series I watched when I was young. This version although on 2 disks, is much shorter and doesn't include many scenes I consider relevant, but still offers a comprehensive story of Jesus' life.
Definitely more "romantic" than other more recent versions but still quite raw at times it will keep your attention till the end.
Robert Powell's performance is remarkable and in my opinion he still is the best Jesus!
on 13 February 2013
Hello
The problem with this DVD is that I cannot play it on my PC. My PC does not play region 2 DVD's. I'm very disappointed. When I ordered the DVD I did not realize that I needed the DVD to be a region 1 DVD
Next time I order a DVD I will stipulate it needs to be a region 1 DVD. It would be helpful when DVD's are advertized, that the region it can be played in is made plain to see before it is ordered.
on 7 February 2017
Really well done, rarely (though occasionally) a little theatrical, a little "soft-eyed Christ" - but the flow is very good. The supporting characters list is a who's who of theatre, and they give splendidly!

If you insist on total accuracy, this will not please you, but then again neither will any of the other versions. But as a means of encouragement it is really worth seeing
on 18 September 2016
A nostalgic return to my childhood, when biblical epics were played on Sundays (usually around Easter). The cast is made up of top rate actors and actresses. The story is as it says, about the life of Jesus up until his crucifiction. I watched the whole series in one day, I was gripped by the story once again, taking you through a rollercoaster of emotions. Well worth watching again and again.
on 24 December 2015
Good classic production if youre a bible person.

Slight inaccuracy with the name "Jesus" and his depiction as the figure of the white Cesare Borgia.

We all know the real "Jesus" (Yahusha, or Yehoshua) was black, as were David, Solomon, Jacob, Abraham and the entire lineage.

Challenge me!
I have proof

Good film nonetheless.
on 25 February 2010
Exactly what i was looking for Robert Powell is fantastic as Jesus the best performance I have seen.