on 21 November 2015
I may have discovered this book in a rather unconventional way. I had heard whispers about this book for years, on the Internet, on TV and constant recommendations from friends but it was not until years later when I would finally come to my senses and read the book.
I had watched the movie and was blown away by this amazing story that I felt wasn't shown and was hiding behind the crappy cgi and the "short" running time (seriously this movie could have been an hour longer). I wanted to learn more. It wasn't until about 2014 when I saw a little girl on the train probably about 8 years old reading this book when I decided that I probably should read this book.
After reading a couple of pages, I realised something. THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR EIGHT YEAR OLD GIRLS. Or eight years old boys. Or adult girls. Or adult boys. Or anyone for that matter. I didn't find this book, this book found me which I feel is very fitting considering the subject matter. This book is very disgusting and graphic and makes you like a piece of gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe or like a a fresh pile of dog crap which already has someone's boot print in it.
I would break it down on the positive and negatives of the story but it doesn't matter. The story bounces around so much that if you get lost, the book doesn't care and will just bring you back in.
In the end this this book will stay with you foreve- PRAISE BE TO KORROK.
PS. John dies in the middle
on 22 April 2016
After reading this book I can't believe another reviewer saw an 8 year old girl reading it without wondering what she was when she wasn't pretending to be an 8 year old girl...

I CAN believe there are people who would hate this book. In fact, I'm probably married to one of them. That doesn't matter, just try not to let them read it. It's better if most people don't know the truth anyway. Hell is all around us but we just can't see it. Lucky us. Stay off the sauce (but you don't take the sauce...the sauce takes you...)

I won't synopsize, others already have. The ideas are wild, dazzlingly crazy, bold and confident. It's "horrible" and undeniably "horror", but not horrifying (unless you're offended by frequent references to genitalia, usually in the form of improbable boasting or implausible threats). I probably wouldn't encourage a (human) 8yo to read it but anyone over about 13 could do worse than have a look.
on 16 July 2015
It's probably my own fault but I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed with John Dies at the End. In certain circles at least, it's regarded as the perfect marriage of horror and comedy and I was mostly left a little disappointed with the humour. That said, the horror is quite effective in many cases and Wong injects a good deal of tension into several scenes. It's best to temper your expectations with this one.

I'll start with the negatives. I found the humour more consistently present than ever actually capable of producing a laugh. I appreciate Wong's commitment lack of embarrassment with juvenile humour, as it should be, but his particular brand just never really hit home for me. Particularly the titular John, who is clearly meant to be a zany dude who's a laugh a minute to be around, I found no more interesting or funny than any of the rest of the cast.

Another slight disappointment for me (which comes with a mild spoiler warning for anyone who wants to start reading with as little known about the plot as possible) was how the start of the book suggested the main characters might actually just be insane and that the paranormal goings on are all imagined. However, that idea is quickly brushed aside in favour of a plot with a much larger scale. It's not without its twists and turns but the implied ambiguity was intriguing.

The characters are also somewhat weak. Aside from the protagonist, characters seem to exist solely to serve a purpose and have very basic objectives of their own. Other characters are introduced and disappear again almost without any input to the story at all. While that fits somewhat with the somewhat dream-like quality much of the book has, it feels very much inorganic.

The plot was interesting, easily enough to hold my attention to the finish, though I think it was a little too explicit towards the end, explaining things that would have been more terrifying if they remained a mystery. It is also a bit meandery (is that even a word?), and you can almost tell that it was written and released in pieces. I strongly suspect Wong mostly made it up as he went along, or something close to it. It's the mysteries, though, that are the driving force behind the story that will push you to the last page, even if a few too many of them are demystified, in my opinion.

The best part of this book, as far as I'm concerned, is the horror. Wong crafts tension quite well in several places but it's more the creative, terrifying ideas that really sell it. Sure, some of Wong's influences are obvious but all the best horror plays on anxieties hard coded into the human psyche that are thousands of years old. Some almost familiar moments are to be expected.

Overall, I don't feel I wasted my time reading this book but at the same time I would hesitate to recommend it. For horror genre fans, it's definitely worth a look at least. For everyone else, there are likely more enjoyable reads out there for you to discover.
on 13 April 2013
It took me over a year to read the book and I had to push myself to do it, because I don't want to leave half-read books.

I really don't see the point of the story. I guess there is an audience out there for gory details, and I might enjoy it some times, but I think it has to have a context, what it the meaning if you are just piling up guts and bugs without a strong story?

It seems like the last 1/4 of the book is written in a different style, less guts more story, but still I didn't feel interested in the characters.

Sometimes the humor was good, but mostly it seemed forced.

I see it as an experience, but I wouldn't read it again or recommend it.

As I said, I guess there is an audience for this kind of books, I just didn't like it.
on 10 November 2016
Great story. Funny stuff, but with an underlying seriousness. Throughly enjoyed it. Ends tied up nicely. Only bit that was a bit odd was the basket ball match at the very end. Just found it distracted from the main ending. Don't let put you of though. Highly recommend. Just going to start the next one.
on 21 July 2013
So finished reading this to night and the pro cess has been notthe best experience of kindle reading I have experienced. The en glish is awful- seems like it has been proof read on a bud get of about $1 and could have been better spell checked by 5 years olds on a school maga zine. But what ever. In de pen dent from the awful typos the story of something bad happening and then something else a bit worse than that and then and then and then gets very monotonous - don't think I 'll be reading the sequel..... not for a few de cades anyways
on 7 June 2010
While it may seem like yr going a little insane while reading... it's incredibly enjoyable. A whirl wind story that you can't put down while you stare at the pages slightly gob smacked. Characters you can really relate to especially if you've ever been 20-30 and wondered if there was something hidden behind the veil that we see as life!!! In truth a very difficult book to explain but one you definately won't regret buying.
on 11 May 2016
Pretty good. Interesting idea, and some genuinely scary moments - not the gory bits, but the moments when the protagonist and thus the reader think they might be going mad... "Amy wan't there, Amy had never been there" gave me a shiver!

Some weird formatting, with strange gaps in the mi ddle of wo rds. Was this a purposeful technique to suggest the fracturing of reality/sanity? Am I reading too much into it? Probably!

Not sorry I downloaded this. A bit different.
on 6 September 2012
I received this book for Christmas 2010, as I had become a fan of Cracked.com. What I expected was an immature, yet amusing tale. What I didn't expect was a fantastically written story with likeable characters and entertaining twists. I have no idea how many times I've read it now, but my copy is getting pretty worn out from constantly being read.

I recommend this book for fans of comedy, horror and John (I mean, who isn't a fan of John?)
on 27 February 2012
Not even sure where to begin...In part funny, in part just damn right weird, this novel is one of the strangest i have ever read. If you have a short attention span or simply are not into things that are a bit whacky, then stay away. I recommended it to a friend after i finished it and he said he just didn't get it, which i guess some won't. Yes, the story is completely absurd and makes no sense, but then again that is part of the fun of it. Personally found it a light and entertaining read while on holiday.