The King of Limbs
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 April 2014
I am somewhat puzzled by several people’s reactions to this album. Perhaps these stem from the fact that it is not as instantly appealing as 'In Rainbows', but that to me is part of its charm (and just goes to show that you shouldn’t judge an album on just a couple of listenings). To my mind it is only after repeatedly listening to it that the magic of TKOL becomes apparent. I think this comes from the multi-layered arrangements, and especially from the deceptively simple drum patterns. (In a Mojo interview after In Rainbows was released, Phil Selway commented that with the band’s turn to electronica and use of programming after OK Computer he feared he was becoming redundant. It is thus ironic that, with a partial return to electronica, one of the highlights of this album is Selway’s drumming.) From the minimalist piano intro to ‘Bloom’ to the gorgeous and multilayered ‘Give Up the Ghost’, this is by my standards simply a superb album; in ‘Codex’ it contains an exceptional piano-based ballad as good as earlier Radiohead examples of this genre (e.g. ‘Pyramid Song’, ‘Sail to the Moon’), and others tracks as good as anything in their back catalogue. All I can say is, if you’ve been put off by other people moaning that it’s not as good as In Rainbows (or for that matter people who haven’t ‘got’ Radiohead since The Bends or OK Computer), ignore them and give it a go. If you already own it and don’t play it, get it out again and listen more carefully.
16 people found this helpful
on 6 April 2018
Pleasantly surprised !!

I was a bit sceptical about this album, because of all the negative reviews, saying this is their Worst album.
So I went on you tube an listened to a few tracks. An brought it after enjoying the first track in bloom, which is amazing by the way. I wish there was a hour long version of that lol.

I have really enjoyed the album, an frankly I can not understand what people are talking about. This is a good album, I enjoy all the Radiohead albums an this is not a bad one.
I like to think of all the albums as children, they are all unique, an they have their own qualities. But you love them all the same, and I could never hate any of them.

My only gripe is that it’s a bit short, but that’s the only negative, I can think of about this album.

Funny, the track Give up the ghost makes me think of My Morning Jacket.
An the song Lotus Flower is really great too, but go an watch the video its epic lol.

But yeah, if you love Radiohead get this album, it deserves a place in your collection.

Don’t listen to all the haters go buy it an enjoy!!
One person found this helpful
on 9 March 2018
the review of the music has been covered many times, there is not a lot to add to those already there. With this album there will be dos and downs of sound, but for the vinyl this does give a better dynamic with better musical information offered to the ear in the recording over other versions. So buy the vinyl over the others......... One for Amazon though, can I have the TICK001LP version as this was advertised as and not the 2016 reissue!!!! Amazon are now getting themselves in a real pickle on reviews, (vinyl reviews need to be with vinyl versions etc), and know which version is stacked on their shelves before posting!!!!!!
on 17 August 2017
Although I hear echoes of other bands here at times (Arcade Fire and Bon Iver come to mind) and so begin to wonder if it's Radiohead at their most cutting edge, it's an album worth replaying, with great moments and enough to distinguish it from other offerings. What Thom Yorke is on about most of the time I do not know, but it's fun trying to figure it out.
on 8 September 2017
Lotus Flower and Codex are as good as any two songs on any other Radiohead album.
Some other good tracks, including some seriously funky ones (e.g. Morning Mr Magpie), but with only 8 songs at 37 minutes long you can see why some folk feel short-changed.
But this is Radiohead, innit? so even when short changing you this album warrants and deserves a 4 star rating IMO.
One person found this helpful
on 25 February 2017
Not quite at their best on this one, in my view. Lacks quality (or quantity) that we normally get from Radiohead. Would have made a very good EP. Along with Pablo Honey, my least favorite Radiohead album. But even bad Radiohead (and it's not actually bad) are better than just about any other band.
on 30 April 2018
Can't beat this in my opinion, out of the radiohead albums. All the songs are amazing, it takes your mind to another place. A must buy
on 7 March 2018
great cd and service , highly recommended
on 10 February 2018
Great.
on 7 February 2017
A fine piece of work, not their best, but still good. Nice to own it on vinyl