Format: DVD|Change

on 23 June 2013
Absolutely brilliant, laugh out loud comedy. Love all the main charcters but jim & Wilson and grandma in the bikini are also hilarious!
on 24 December 2012
Really really funny - love it. Good family entertainment with a little appropriate swearing - if only our family was as functional!
on 14 March 2013
One of the best series to come out in a long time. British humor at its best. Really, really funny!
on 8 January 2013
brilliant series , whole family are superb. Can watch this many times and still find it so funny.Watch it and enjoy!
on 5 October 2011
First, let me say I am a 61-year-old American woman, probably not the typical viewer for this show. My family has never, ever heard me laugh the way I do when I watch Friday Night Dinner. I usually watch it in my bedroom, and once it starts, my husband peeks in the door and shakes his head hopelessly. My 21-year-old daughter inevitably comes and slams my bedroom door shut because, yes, I lose my ever loving mind laughing, and I am sure my neighbors can hear me. Humor is a highly individual thing; it's fascinating, really, to think about what makes someone guffaw and another person just smile. This show has hit my funny bone like nothing else ever has. I love The Office (British and American versions), but it doesn't make me laugh like this.

Every character in this program (or should I say "programme"?), is top notch. I have to say the mother is my favorite, though. She is right on point with her gestures and facial expressions. The father is a disgusting scream! The boys are so infantile and immature that they take me back to the days with my sisters and our irreverent humor. I never get tired of the "salt in the water" prank. I'd say the level of the humor is very low on the intelligence scale, which makes it all the more funny, for some reason. I think the success, though, is due to its character driven nature. I will dearly miss those characters when the show ends.

All I can say is, please, keep those episodes coming! I am sure that years have been added to my life with all the endorphins that squirt into my veins with every silly antic. British humor is definitely the best. And yes, it does transfer very well!
11 Comment| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2012
I have read some less than glowing reviews about FND but comedy, like much else in life, is entirely subjective. Personally I absolutely love it. I love its simplicity, its brilliant quirky observations of family life, the performances, the repeated jokes. Special mention HAS to go to Mark Heap as the stalking neighbour and Wilson the Dog who don't have to do much to make us laugh/cringe (delete as appropriate!). When Series 1 finished my partner and I were distraught as Friday Night had become somewhat empty without it and the wait for Series 2 has become interminable! Looking forward to seeing it again.
on 30 November 2013
Every Friday night, good Jewish family Jackie and Martin, together with sons Jonny and Adam get together for a traditional family dinner. But life is never quite a straightforward as it either seems or should be.

Martin (played by the outstanding Paul Ritter) is not only eccentric, but also mildly deaf; Jonny Tom Rosenthal), an estate agent, has a complicated love life involving his boss, who is significantly his senior, but which none of his family believe is real; Adam (the Inbetweeners' Simon Bird) is intelligent and acerbic but is dragged down to a puerile level by his sibling rivalry.

Trying to hold it all together in the midst of weekly chaos is the wonderful Tamsin Grieg (Jackie) who applies overpowering emotional unction to the inevitable wounds.

Add to the mix a bewildered grandmother and creepy neighbour Jim (played by show-stealer Mark Heap) and his mild-mannered (to everyone but Jim) German Shepherd, Wilson, and the ingredients are all there for some classic comedy.

There are some outstanding moments - lifted immeasurably by the acting talents of Grieg, Ritter and Heap. The time when Grandma gets trapped outside wearing only a bikini. The endless pursuit of a mouse. When Jim comes for dinner.

It is let down slightly, though, by the puerile nature of Jonny and Adam's sibling bickering. When you've got dialogue and characterization this good - and it is, truly, excellent most of the time - having two of your characters (both of whom, it should be remembered, are adults) calling each other 'p*ss face' and 'pus face' and putting salt into each other's drinking water just isn't funny by comparison. That kind of stuff works on material like The Inbetweeners because it's in the right context and it's what you expect of the characters. In this case, neither the setting nor the intellect of those involved supports the juvenile nature of the fun.

But it's a great piece of original, inventive British comedy that's keenly and affectionately observant of Jewish tradition and culture without ever straying into the territory of stereotyping or being guilty of offence.

Highly recommended.
on 24 January 2013
Odd ball comedy series that sometimes falls flat, but wins through overall. Great actors that overcome script issues most of the time
on 27 March 2015
It must be me as others seem to like it but thought this was dire and painfully predictable. Shame as like the cast in other things they have done but this feels like a old sitcom with swearing added.
on 17 March 2012
Just wanted to say that criticising this sit-com for being formulaic is rather missing the point - it is the constant repetition of the same awkward, toe-curling situations that provides the comedy. As in real life, we find the characters colluding in an endless cycle of disfunction and misunderstanding. Anyone who's been part of a family must recognise these patterns and the fact that there is an enormous amount of love and compassion just under the surface. Whether this strikes you as funny or not is just a matter of taste. I absolutely adored it and just wish the DVD release date was sooner. On the other hand, I'll probably appreciate it more for having had to wait. Hope my friends and family will love it too as it will be featuring high on my list of 'presents to send' at Xmas 2012 (much in the same way as the novel 'Child 44' did last year...).