on 31 July 2011
I use these for editing videos on my MacBook so that I don't disturb the rest of the family. At the discounted price they are a bargain and more than up to the job of digital sound files. I normally listen to music through £300+ Sennheisers and although of course these can't compare in sonic capability they are impressive at 5% of the cost. The in ear 'soft bud' design makes them comfortable for long periods, and most importantly stops sound leakage. My wife can't hear any tinny sound pollution even when sat on the same sofa, such earphones should be mandatory in public places. The 'sealed to ear canal' design does make it possible to achieve ear damaging volume, but only an idiot would.
VINE VOICEon 20 July 2012
I got these because the ordinary phones that come with music players keep falling out of one ear. At first the bass on these seemed deficient (and I adjusted the equaliser on my music player) but once I'd settled on the medium size of earbuds I found that if I pushed them in further than I had first thought right then suddenly the sound was excellent - plenty of bass, mid and treble and very detailed. I'm actually learning new words in songs we've had for years. The only reason I dropped a star is that they start to get slightly uncomfortable after a couple of hours so I went to buy Comply memory foam earbuds only to find that they have not tested the EX50 model and cannot say which might fit it.

Another reason to go for in ear phones is for noise isolation, eg on trains and planes. I do have some big noise cancelling headphones and they work very well but get quite painful after an hour. These Sony ones don't give anything like the same noise isolation but they do help a bit and are comfortable for far longer.
on 9 June 2014
I got these as a replacement for my no longer available 818's and I am sorry to say that I am very disappointed that Sony have discontinued a perfectly good product. These, despite their claims to a good bass, I found to be horribly tinny and lacking in depth, also the stupid ear buds that they insist in using now, keep becoming detached and getting lost.
on 4 November 2011
These little babies are stunning. They sound better than a brand new £50 pair I bought at the same time, and cost a fraction of the price.

They are comfortable, the lead is long enough, and they keep out external noise a treat.

Some lower frequencies are not as present, but they are more good enough for the price, and the crispness and clarity offered by these tiny and stylish headphones more than makes up for it.

In fact they are the best pair I have owned this year in this price range - and this year I've bought 4 pairs!

Having only owned them a few days, it remains to be seen how durable they are, but as of now I would highly recommend them.
on 23 February 2012
I have had many in ear headphones, among my favourites were the Sennheiser CX-300 and CX-400s. But I've also had a run with some Philips and AKGs; and I have to say the MDR EX50s really shine. At a fraction of the cost of the others, you really have to work hard to notice the difference.

They offer good noise isolation good bass. They behave a bit more like open headphones such as the Sennheiser PX-100 and HD238s (my desktop and general use headphones), by which I mean they focus more on clarity of treble and lighter notes rather than bass and also don't isolate you as intensely. This does not mean they are tinny, far from it. You can use an amp or equalizer to milk the lower frequencies if you like that sort of thing and the EX50s will deliver.

Most in ear headphone users will know that if you bump the cable, it really resonates in your head but the Sonys don't seem to do that as much. I am guessing the softer and possibly thinner cables don't transmit the vibrations as harshly as my Sennheisers. They are also designed with an angle to easily fit into your ear canal, as opposed to the Sennheisers which are a bit of a chore to fit properly into your ear.

In summary; great value, clear treble, average bass (but easily fixed), good noise isolation, light, good ergonomics, buy one. :p
on 25 April 2013
I understand the good reviews on these products. They look very smart and have an attractive shiny silver back to them. The sound is OK, reasonable however they really are a big let down.

If your not worried about getting something that looks 'cool' then you really are better off spending £8 or 9 quid on generic JVC, Panasonic or Sony headphones as you will not tell the difference (i imagine these drivers are the same as used in the lower models). Dont be fooled by the packaging, Bass is no better than any other reasonable budget makes.

My real dissapointment is that these were bought to replace some low cost Synheiser headphones which cost a few pounds more and were in a totally different league!

Either buy £8 or 9 quid JVC/Panasonic/Sony phones or spend the extra fiver to buy some genuine high quality sets by seinheiser.

Very dissapointed.
on 25 July 2012
Comfortable, jelly type earphones that do the job well. If I were really pushed to criticise them, they don't seem to carry the bass notes QUITE as well as I'd like - but that's a personal thing.

Well worth the money, in my opinion!
on 28 January 2015
I can't get over how good these earphones are.

Bear with me, as this is a longish story. I have a Walkman and I thought the earphones which came with it were OK, but nothing special, so first of all I read loads of good reviews on a Panasonic pair and bought them. They were worse than the pair which came with my Walkman, so I went back to using those. They they stopped working, so I had to get another pair, because the Panasonic ones were so weedy. I saw these, read the good reviews again, and this time I agree with the reviewers.

These are wonderful for the type of music that I like - progressive rock, Zappa, folk, zeuhl etc. They are clear. Bass is deep without being overpowering - maybe people who like really bassy music might want more bass, but for me it's perfect. They really have made listening to music far more enjoyable for me and I recommend them unreservedly. Cracking value, as well.
on 23 January 2014
Good quality earphones. I wanted something cheap and cheerful but not one of the 50p pairs you can get on Amazon. I settled for these for a tenner, from Sony so some quality expected but not emptying your bank account. They are great quality on the sound department, not so in the physical quality. Still working at the moment, but the paint is already wearing away. I don't mind as long as they sound good!
on 10 July 2013
So far the earphones are holding up but I am a little disappointed in the quality of the sound that they produce.

I suppose for the price I paid I have nothing to complain about, which I'm not, but I do think people should be aware that these earphones do not, in the slightest, have a 'deep bass' sound. They're extremely tinny sounding, almost to the point of being too sharp when the volume is turned up.

Luckily I only bought these as a replacement for my iPod which I don't use too often, so it's not a huge issue for me.