on 4 October 2012
Fortunately I didn't read the reviews before I bought this thermometer, if I had I would have missed out on a really first-rate thermometer.
Having recently bought an oven thermometer that was 50 degrees centigrade in error I was looking for something that was accurate. I recently watched a video with Heston cooking and saw that he used this thermometer, and with his attention to detail was pretty sure it would be accurate.
I did a simple test using boiling water and this thermometer recorded 99.8 degrees centigrade, this is quite exceptional accuracy for a modern thermometer.
As a mechanical engineer I specialised in thermodynamics and am appalled by the ludicrous thermometers on sale today, they give a totally inaccurate reading to 2 places of decimals!!!!!
Some of the comments have complained that their thermometers failed very early in its use, I can see no reason why this thermometer should not last if give a modicum of care.
If you want an accurate thermometer with a good temperature range that is very easy to use I can thoroughly recommend it.
on 26 February 2015
I bought this for making and tempering chocolate, which needs a precise measurement.
This gadget looks good, has a clear display and was great for measuring things like the temperature of the fridge, which stays the same.
It has a clip on the probe so that you can attach it to the side of a pan.
For chocolate, it was a disaster.
It's very slow to calibrate, taking about a 30 seconds for the temperature reading to settle down.
This is fine if your temperature is not changing, but I was trying to heat the mix up 42C- the slowness of the readout meant that I often overshot, and had to start the process all over again.
The clip was no help at all, and I ended up having to hold the probe in the mix with one hand and whisk with the other.
Result: It got covered with chocolate.
In trying to clean it, I got water into it- and it has now died after its maiden voyage.
May it rest in peace, I won't be replacing it.
Definitely not recommended.
on 29 January 2014
The thermometer does exactly what it's meant to.
We have found it very easy to use so far.

To perhaps address a couple of reviews I've read on here.
One mentioned it kept turning off after 5 mins when measuring a low temp. Two things spring to my mind, one that saves the battery next it's not really the ideal thermometer for preparing cold products.
Another mentions you can't wash it. Well that goes for them all. Another has said it broke on them, well thats why it has a guarantee for goodness sake, get it changed.

It's helped us massively with a few Jamie Oliver Fore Rib of Beef recipes (Sorry Heston)
Finally been able to make both fudge, toffee and cinder toffee..! Worth it just for that.
on 13 August 2013
I don't know if it is me or the instrument but it could be better. I was making fudge and had it clipped to the side of the pan but the probe kept getting in the way also It never did show as reaching the soft ball stage although my mixture did as the fudge came out beautifully after I ended up checking the stage with dropping it in water as the thermometer just wouldn't register. I think reading other posts that it maybe needs calibrating but it seems wrong that they are being manufactured with the wrong calibration. In this case the cost does not represent the item as this was expensive for something that, although I've only used it once so far, doesn't seem to work.
on 22 July 2014
Brilliant!!!! I am so glad that I chose to ignore some of the more scathing reviews. Have bought many jam/sugar thermometers over the years but this is by far the most acurate and reliable one I have purchased. Easy to read and simple to clean. Treat it with respect and it will serve you for years. would recommend to any serious jam or home sweet maker.
on 25 August 2014
I put this through it's paces by making a lot of boiled sugar recipes in the last year and sadly it did not last as long as I'd have expected for the price. The display is easy to read and my pan grip worked well but the pre set features are uneccessarily complex and the alarm feature stopped working after just a few uses so I had to keep my beady eyes on the display.
This lasted longer than any of the traditional style sugar thermometers I've tried before but died a death when it fell in the sink. Shouldn't it be waterproof?
on 27 November 2011
this was badly made,it fell to bits the 2nd time i used it.i wouldn't advise anybody to buy this product
on 31 December 2014
Almost got put off buying this because of some of the other reviews but I just ended up going for it and I'm so glad I did! I've used it several times now and I've had no problems at all - the timer is especially handy for when you're multitasking and can't stand watch.
Really recommend this and it's especially good for the price!
on 16 November 2014
Bought a cheap one a few weeks ago and it ended up in the bin as it was useless. Invested in this thermometer and in my opinion it is excellent.
on 25 March 2013
Not very successful when tried to use it when making honeycomb. Depth of liquid in pan less than recommended depth for immersing thermometer but would have to make far too great quantities to ensure required depth! Honeycomb was too gooey so may not have been high enough temperature over whole area.