Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 23 October 2016
I love the oriental influences in this album, it's a brilliant mix of instruments. This is Bonobo's best album in my opinion, followed closely by The North Borders. This is so chilled out and would be enjoyed by any music fan, young or old so would also be a great gift for any music lover.
on 27 April 2010
This is a superb album, perfect for a lazy summer afternoon. The tracks featuring Andreya Triana are beautiful and I'm struggling to see how other reviewers don't feel the drumming is up to par. Have they listened to "Animals"? Do yourselves a favour and buy it on vinyl though, the artwork is stunning and you get a free MP3 download anyway. A win win aituation if ever there was one.
on 22 July 2012
Simon Green, aka Bonobo, had released 3 solid studio albums up until this point, with the third recording "Days To Come" being the most accomplished of them all. However, 4 years later, he brings us "Black Sands" which is even better. The tracks sound confident, interesting, very well produced, varied and most of all extremely well composed.

"Prelude" opens the album with high hopes, combining beautiful Oriental string arrangements with notes from a piano. The following track "Kiara" is a fantastic instrumental combining World music influences with modern beats and fresh sounds. "Kong" follows in the same line and is just as good, but is more rhythmic and straight forward Dance. The first highlight and instant classic "Eyesdown" features the soulful Andreya Triana and has an infectious dance beat and heavy bassline. "El Toro" is an interesting Funk and Dance instrumental with some Jazz influences, reminiscent of The Cinematic Orchestra's earlier work. "We Could Forever" is a flashy Dance track with Latin Jazz influences whilst "1009" takes its whole inspiration from Dance and Electronic music as does "In All Forms". "The Keeper", a Funk and Soul influenced song, and "Stay The Same", a jazzy creation, both feature Andreya Triana once again who adds some delicious vocals to "Black Sands". "Animals" has a combination of interesting beats, a powerful bassline and an intense yet unrushed feel to it with some distinctive Jazz sounds. The title track "Black Sands" opens with a soft acoustic guitar which is then joined by a bassline, further guitar plucking, a melancholic horn section and, after 2 minutes, a clapping beat - an interesting song to close this wonderful album.

With this album, Bonobo manages to create a very strong collection of songs that inspire the listener who can, in turn, drift into a hypnotic and creative World for just under an hour. "Black Sands" is one of the best primarily instrumental albums I have heard for a long time and has a very fresh and unique sound which makes its purchase even more worth while.
on 31 August 2016
No question of Bonobo's skills - I remember first buying Animal Magic by Bonobo many years ago after hearing a few tracks on chillout compilations and it immediately resonated with me. Since then I bought his second album and felt that it was of the same level of quality and knew what to expect. When I got this album it shows how Bonobo has evolved. You can hear the essence of his style throughout but also more edgy and quick tempo based vocal sounds to add to his resume. Without losing any quality he has managed to remain original yet push his music to new heights with this album. Percussion heavy and moody whilst being atmospheric it is a cracker.
on 6 February 2012
To me this beautiful album literally takes me somewhere else. I am on Black Sands the contour lines of which are seen on the disc and the album artwork is the view from a hideaway. If you havent listened to this album that will just make me seem like a raving lunatic. But this album is amazing and everytime I listen i find something new. Buy this.

My current mission it so find a perfect pair of head phones that will play this in the quality it truley deserves.
on 31 March 2010
I'm not a music critic, so can't write what you might call a proper album review. I can, however, say that despite wondering if he still has it after 3 albums, Mr Green has hit the spot again with Black Sands.
Slightly weird Japanese-ish first two tracks, but they grow on you. And I reckon if you liked his other albums you'll definitely like this one.

Personal favourites are Kong, El Toro (with some enthusiastic drumming), Stay The Same and Black Sands.

Go buy it. I'm sure he's not short of a bob, but don't just pirate it, go buy it.
VINE VOICEon 1 April 2010
Mixed reviews here, and average reviews in the music press, which I can only agree with, but not in the same league as Dial 'M' for Monkey or Animal Magic, both of which should be essential purchases for any "coffee lounge" chill out fan.

An album you can put on in the background, eating, drinking, entertaining.... and it passes quite nicely.... you could imagine this forming the soundtrack of a 21st Century "This Life", replacing the excellent Portishead soundscape from the original series back in the mid-90's. The album has plenty of jazz and world influences, so if you like your beats with ethnic origins, it may be one for you, but buy the other two first (and follow that with Days to Come before this one)to really appreciate what Bonobo can do.
on 11 April 2010
Everything from Bonobo is simply amazing. I am so addicted to the sound, harmonies and overall melodical poetry, that I cannot say a bad thing. If you liked his previous records, you will love this one too. Whoever didn't like it, simply doesn't get this type of music, which of course, is not for everyone. I am a chill-out, lounge sort of person and I live for this.

How great that after 10 years, Bonobo still creates the same fantastic tunes.

My personal favourite here is Eyesdown.
Don't hesitate, buy this immediately ;))
on 24 December 2013
Bonobo are without doubt were a new name to me when I first downloaded this album and I was so impressed that since buying this album I've now got everything they've released and a few naughty remixes here and there from a man down an alleyway who shall remain nameless hehehe.
Bonobo remind me of my cousins back home in Iceland, we love these sort of soundscapes, the bands in Iceland are pro's at creating mountains out of music and Bonobo should have a holiday there and they'll see what I mean.
They fit right in against Sigur Rós, Múm, Jónsi & Alex, CocoRosie, the non Icelandic 'Shpongle', and the Scottish 'Boards Of Canada'.
Brilliant group, cannot wait for their next outing.
Peace friends.
on 23 March 2011
A very close friend recommended this album to me as he knows how much I like chilled out, well produced music. He hit the nail on the head with Black Sands.

I have heard Bonobo tracks on various chill out album's and they have all been great tracks, however none of them are as good as this album.

I am a big fan of listening to albums all the way through and this is defiantly one of those albums. Not to say I have my favourite tracks: Eye's Down with its out of phase b line and smooth vocals that contrast each other perfectly. Stay The Same with beautiful lyrics and a saxophone backed chorus to die for. And Finally the title track Black Sands, musical genius. As the track progresses layer upon layers are added yet it is never muddled.

If you are a music lover and don't get bored by an album without a constant get up and go pace then this is a must for your music collection.

If you like this then check these out:
GRAINS