on 19 February 2013
I couldn't make up my mind which version to buy, the original RCA release here Macalla or the remaster. But then I realized that neither costs very much and ended up getting both. I guess I'm glad I did.

The album itself is excellent, and there's nothing to add to the other reviews. On the remastering I'm not particularly impressed. There's a little more detail, but nothing that's a revelation. The new bonus remix of the opening track is, I'm afraid, a disaster. It's so tried to take a tune, to add a driving beat, and call it a remix. And the opening is very ethereal, moody. This is destroyed in the remix. I suppose it's just not for me.

On the other hand, at least the remastered version has a decent booklet, the original release is rather sparse. The only downside of the new booklet is the horrid new cover art. You can get around it somewhat because - on the back page of the new booklet - the original artwork has been included (thank goodness).

So anyway, if you're looking to buy this disc, I'd say go with whatever the cheapest option is. The newer version is okay, but the new cover art and the needless remix are really poor.

It's certainly good music though!
5 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 8 November 2002
Macalla is one of Clannad's albums from a time they were writing their own music, but before going more synth based, and despite the slightly 'mad axe women' image of the front cover, it's a very good album!
It starts off with one of Clannads trademark breathy 'Harry's Game' (though very good in it's own right) type pieces, and continues with a few more rockier sounding songs like 'Closer To Your Heart' and 'In a Life Time' - though not one of my favourite tracks 'in a lifetime' was a collaboration with U2's Bono.
Also included is 'Buachaill on Eirne' (one of my favourite Gaelic pieces) and one of those simple yet atmospheric songs that Marie seems so at home singing.
There are also some very good tracks that haven't appeared on any of the many Clannad Compilation albums, such as 'indoor', 'Northern Skyline' and 'Journeys End' - one of those songs that are fairly simple, but so suited to Clannads style and will have you singing along before the end!
5 people found this helpful
on 7 August 2013
Lovely and restful, great to listen to when cooking as it really calms me down after a stressful day, the good stuff never dies!
on 6 July 2013
Love it
on 18 July 2014
Best delivery. Best prices.
on 15 June 2017
Love Clannad so all of their albums are outstanding.
on 21 May 2017
classic clannad
on 29 August 2017
All very perfect
on 13 April 2013
Having seen them live a few weeks ago this disc did not disappoint. Although nowehere near as good as a live performance Macalla showed up all the facets of their work very well indeed.
on 17 June 2015
I expected a bit more from this much-hailed classic. Popped it into the charity shop after trying to like it, haven't missed it since.