Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 24 November 2005
When I first got hold of this book I was surprised to find that it was a book of short stories, and I wasn’t sure if I would like it. How wrong I was!
The book was first published in 1960 so it’s one of Heyer’s later books, and that shows in the range of characters and ages that she portrays in these short stories. Each story works brilliantly on its own as a story – although short, they never feel rushed or incomplete. The range of characters is as broad as ever, including some young heroines and one who is in her thirties. Her heroes tend to be the usual ones – dashing, handsome, rich gentlemen who are excellent horsemen. And yet there are a couple of stories in there which seem a little more unusual – my particular favourite is Hazard where Lord Carlington wins his friend’s half-sister during a night of gaming and finds himself with her in an Inn the following morning, having just inserted the notice of his engagement to another woman in the papers. Of course things work out well (they always do in Heyer’s books, which is what I like so much about them) but it’s how these resolutions are brought about that make these stories such fun.
I first read this book about 35 years ago and found when I re-read it recently that I could still remember some of the stories. I loved the characters, the witty dialogue and the way the problem is resolved in just a few pages. My particular favourites are `Pink Domino' and a `A Husband for Fanny', though all the stories are lovely to read. They have the same flavour as most of Heyer's full length novels, especially those set in the Regency period.

If you are not sure about reading Georgette Heyer then start with this collection since each story can be read in about 20 minutes. If you like them, try her novels. These stories have the real feel good factor - like curling up with a mug of hot chocolate or a glass of wine on a cold winter's day. Bliss!
on 6 February 2001
This book from Georgette Heyer has 11 short stories covering her usual styles from funny to romantic. They leave you laughing one minute and anxious the next. Pistols for Two is ideal when you have only a short time to spare, such as waiting for an appointment or on the train going home, the stories can be read fairly quickly. The only problem I found with some of the stories is that the characters lack depth and plots were a bit thin, but considering the length of each story that is the price that has to be paid.
on 26 September 2012
I was initially disappointed that 'Pistols for Two' was not another full length novel but a collection of short stories. This was not made clear when puchasing.
At first I found each story unsatisfactory as the plots seemed flimsy and the characters undeveloped .However it is possible to see where these themes have been later developed into full novels. In fact it was fun to spot where characters in the short stories reappear under different guises in the novels. So an interesting addition to my G. Heyer collection.
on 8 August 2016
I found my first Georgette Heyer romantic novel when a teenager, and I worked my way through all of them, and haven't stopped reading and re-reading all of them yet, some forty years later!

Heyer created the historical romance genre single handedly, and remains the first as well as the absolute best in this now hugely growing field. You can see her influence in all books of this type, and for language and descriptions appropriate for the era, she is the beast as they were gleaned from years of painstaking research from letters and books of the time. Her forays into other eras than Regency were also researched well, plus her book about the Battle of Waterloo is considered a quality piece of historical research, tinged with characters for her novel.

This particular book is a set of short stories, and I love them. Frankly, Heyers' writing success is hinged on ceasing a description at the last moment to allow our imaginations to take over, plus the way she writes her characters inner thoughts without speech marks, making her whole paragraphs so very subtle. I really recommend all of her books, most particularly this one.
on 30 May 2015
Anyone who, like me, has been a fan of Georgette Heyer since she was a teenager, will always appreciate the gentle humour and elegant storylines which epitomise her long novels. Pistols for Two is no exception, although it is a series of short stories which are just as riveting and a total pleasure to read. If you imagine her novels, and then reduce them to short stories for an hours rest, relaxation and peace then that is this book in a nutshell. and ideal reading to put a smile on one's face and make an afternoon tea and biscuit taste like a feast.
on 27 June 2016
I love Georgette Heyer. I don't think that the short story is quite her forte, but some of these have become favourites. I like the one set at the Inn, where the hero and heroine are not very rich or high class, especially. I think that Heyer used the short story format at times to work out an idea which she then wrote at, at greater length.
on 8 July 2014
A wonderful collection of short stories from the regency era. Bringing to life all the restrictions and etiquette of this period in history, written with wit and humour, quite easy to read. As usual with Georgette Heyer books her knowledge of the time and her style of writing make this a very enjoyable read.
on 1 October 2008
When I first got hold of this book I was surprised to find that it was a book of short stories, and I wasn't sure if I would like it. How wrong I was!

The book was first published in 1960 so it's one of Heyer's later books, and that shows in the range of characters and ages that she portrays in these short stories. Each story works brilliantly on its own as a story - although short, they never feel rushed or incomplete. The range of characters is as broad as ever, including some young heroines and one who is in her thirties. Her heroes tend to be the usual ones - dashing, handsome, rich gentlemen who are excellent horsemen. And yet there are a couple of stories in there which seem a little more unusual - my particular favourite is Hazard where Lord Carlington wins his friend's half-sister during a night of gaming and finds himself with her in an Inn the following morning, having just inserted the notice of his engagement to another woman in the papers. Of course things work out well (they always do in Heyer's books, which is what I like so much about them) but it's how these resolutions are brought about that make these stories such fun.
on 1 October 2008