African Cats [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 6 September 2012
I watched this movie at the cinema several months ago now with my 3-year old son. He was fascinated by it - and I was captivated by both the awe-inspiring cinematography (from air and land of the Masai-Mara) and also the beautiful soundtrack.
The original screening took a lot of criticism for the narration (provided by Samuel L Jackson) which I, although agree was a bit cheesy in places, thought was quite harsh criticism. Regardless Disney have replaced the original narration in the DVD release with a much improved narration by Patrick Stewart.
The film is just the right length at under 1.5 hours and there isn't a dull moment throughout.
If you like nature doco's this is a MUST. Kids from 3-up will appreciate it and you'll need a box of tissues at hand for your Mum!
Truly amazing!!! Nothing short of 5 stars.
on 19 November 2012
There was a time when Disney just made great nature films. Those were the days when you went to the cinema and the B feature might be a Disney Nature documentary that usually outclassed the animated film that followed you'd actually gone to see.

Two British directors and the camera work of Simon King (of Autumn/Winter/Spring Watch) literally have bought Disney back into the fold. The picture quality is absolutely stunning. The sound quality is amazing - rattled one of my back speakers when the lions roared! And production quality is top notch.

Have they Disneyfied it? Well you could argue yes. But bad things happen. Cubs go missing, other animals get killed and yes the animals mate, but not on camera. On a hunt they show the capture but not the gory kill. You don't have to sit with your kids whilst the lions rut away, but by that you really get a better film, because that is what this is - more than a documentary.

First class stuff, looking forward to getting Chimpanzee and seeing others coming out.

And there lies the issue. Availability.

Considering the rampant desire we have in this country for wildlife documentaries it is curious how long this took to become available. I know they ran it in the cinema, but this is one of those films you need to get to show off your Blu Ray.

Like another reviewer I am partially sighted in one eye, in fact my vision can vary dramatically and I bought a HD TV and Blu Ray so that I could SEE things better. I've even been moved a bit closer to the telly by my missus.

It brings back memories of sitting close to the TV as a kid. And this film makes you feel like that awed child in the cinema again.

Just buy it.
on 5 April 2017
 My Silver Bengal - Mr. Nuri - and I like to watch "wild animal" movies. We both enjoyed this one, but I think I had more fun because I got to eat all the popcorn.

In regard to the film itself, as might be expected from Disney, there wasn't much blood-n-guts, and everyone basically lived happily ever after - except for the poor Thomson gazelles who served as the big cats' ersatz-popcorn.

Just as a peripheral cultural note, the Thomson gazelle was named after the Scottish geologist and explorer Joseph Thomson, whose motto is often quoted to be "He who goes gently, goes safely; he who goes safely, goes far."

I reckon he forgot to tell the big cats about going "gently" and the poor gazelles about going as far away as they could from the big cats.

By the way, Mr. Nuri's somewhat of a wild animal in his own right (see movie)
on 12 August 2017
My six year old saw the trailer for this on a 'U' rated Disney dvd we own and asked to buy it with her birthday money. As it was advertised to children on a young children's dvd I naively thought it would just show nice bits but my daughters got too upset to finish watching it. If you have older children this would be fine but if you want cute cubs cuddling up with their mum's don't buy this
on 11 August 2016
I watched this 89 min ALL REGION DVD and once I started I found it very compelling. What more can you add to the comments made in the reviews. The story line superb, music first class, animal extras good, sad at times and could anyone have told the story better than Patrick Stewart?
on 29 August 2016
A really beautiful filmed film.
My grandson had just come back from South Africa, and having been to East Africa as well, and seen many of the animals
loved it. Though it did have him and I in tears. In fact he sobbed his little heart out.
Just a warning for sensitive souls.
It tells a real life story of a pride of lions and their cubs interwoven with all the other animals.
And the trials and tribulations they face.
on 16 June 2015
Arrived quickly- got this as a present for the in laws as they went on a safari a year ago and I thought this would bring back those great memories plus I've watched it before and it is an amazing film. Definitely not what you may think - thought it was some boring documentary but it is done as a film but done so well. Catches on camera the tale of the African cats and their battles with nature and with each other. Just mind blowing - would recommend. In laws loved it too after they watched this DVD I got them.
on 24 March 2013
I bought this movie for my 6 year old daughter, who loves wild African cats, especially cheetahs. This movie is absolutely beautiful, the cinematography is striking and the story line is very moving and engaging. I always thought that David Attenborough nature programmes were the best but this movie is definitely up to their standard. It is a bit Hollywood, I have to admit, the BBC productions tend to be more factual and to the point, but there is nothing better in engaging the imagination of the young audience then a bit of sentimentality. All in all, this is a wonderful touching movie, highly recommended!!!
on 2 June 2016
Lovely documentary, a bit gruesome at times but it is a nature documentary so it is only showing the animals in their natural state. I loved the film, very informative and the bond you see between the adults and their young is very touching. Big thumbs up!!
on 7 May 2017
|I love anything to do with the Natural world. This dvd is about two families one is a Lion Pride and the other is about a Cheetah and her cubs.