on 31 May 2012
I'm not saying forget about other versions e.g. Polanski etc. but when it comes to a modern interpretation which the bard might have liked, this is the real McCoy. Haunting performances by Pat Stewart and Kate Fleetwod, a gripping storyline that gives enough room for the beautiful dialogues we've heard so often, breathtaking setting and effects. This is, as the Guardian put it, a superb film made from a superb production.
By the way...I watch this one with my English classes on regular basis before I read the play, and it has always done a great job making my pupils want to know more.
on 21 December 2015
Excellent version, imagined in a shadowy subterranean bunker, with uniforms and iconography reminiscent of Soviet Russia.
The witches are particularly chilling-their invocation ritual is not for the squeamish!
I used this version to teach the play to a class of recalcitrant y9s, and it really gripped them- after the second lesson they were asking for more!
on 20 September 2015
Amazing production. we saw the stage production this is based on and it is a good film version. Patrick Steward and Kate Fleetwood are amazing
For school students this is a really good version which should engage them well. It is true to the text and excellent production. I have lent it to many of my students and it has gripped them and made the play very real and up to date for them.
on 19 April 2017
Excellent many thanks superfast delivery A++++++
on 17 May 2017
Brilliant version of Macbeth, Patrick Stewart is such a good actor. Brought this copy as my son is doing Macbeth for his GCSE`s
on 21 May 2017
Patrick Excellent as always
on 14 March 2017
I love the aesthetic of this production, as well as its cast and performances. Patrick Stewart fans must not miss this one!
on 3 December 2016
Probably my favourite version of Macbeth. A lot better than the 2015 adaptation.
on 29 November 2012
I bought this product as a teaching aid to show to my students and subsequently ended up showing it at a dinner party to my closest and dearest friends. This production of Macbeth really does breathe new life into the story. Think you know the story?... Macbeth kills the King, becomes King and dies? Think again. Yes, I grant that is the basis of the narrative but you've never seen it quite like this.
Patrick Stewart is peerless playing this tyrant and I think that Rupert Goold does a superb job of making this soul-less, murdering, maiming machiavellian character appear as tormented and quite put upon by his lady-wife while, concurrently, making Lady Macbeth seem like a woman who's been pushed to the edge of sanity in supporting Regicide. I can't tell who I sympathise with more. So many of the immortal Elizabethan language lines are delivered in such original ways which make this film a timeless masterpiece. There is a simply magnificent scene when Baqnuo's ghost appears while the character of Ross is dancing on the dining table and utter farcicality ensues.
MacDuff is precisely as one envisages him in their mind's eye: tough, uncompromising and totally unafraid to do what is necessary.

My favourite moment: The part which encompasses my inability to decide on whom I most pity. Patrick Stewart's "Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day to day" really tugs at the heartstrings and makes the final scenes of the play, even though we know what happens, so much more watchable. Macbeth's final lines with "lay on, MacDuff, and damn'd be he that first cries hold... enough" is also, quite possibly, the best I've ever seen it done.

If you are a Shakespeare fan, a Patrick Stewart fan or just a story fanatic; watch this play. I have yet to see anything in the last ten years (McKellen's 'Lear' aside) which betters it...

A grateful English teacher.

P.S. If you want to know how good it is, I had a group of GCSE re-sit PE boys open mouthed during 'Banquo's ghost's scene'. If that don't prove it, nothing will!
on 29 September 2013
Well known faces,but somehow it lacked something.The story was all there,but in my opinion the play has been presented 10 times better.