on 26 October 2009
I actually started watching this series on the TV before i started to read the books as i couldnt wait week after week to find out what happened....

Anyway, after reading some terrible reviews on here, i decided to give it a chance anyway, and im so glad that i did. I am not a teenager and i really enjoyed this book! I have read on some review about poor english etc etc, i think i must have got so wrapped up in the story that I didnt notice any poor english...

At first i couldnt identify with Elena...she is very self important...however, as the book progresses you begin to forget about this...

I am curently half way through the 3rd book and i am really really enjoying it!

Give it a chance! Dont believe everything you read...take it for what it is...a teenagers book...not some deep mind altering novel....
77 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 12 March 2010
I really wish everyone would stop comparing all vampire books to Twilight, as a major fan of the series I can see why but this book is different than the Twilight Saga. It is amazing in it's own right. I try to read a new book with fresh eyes instead of comparing it, think if you had not read Twilight, would you like it, and I say yes definetly!

I love the character of Elena who could so easily fit into any time or place, she is universal. At first I was annoyed by her bratty attitude and she came accross as 'pampered princess' but as the story progresses and with the arrival of our vampire; Stefan, we see that there is more than meets the eye to Elena. I deeply enjoyed the love that Elena and Stefan share and felt like I was witnessing its strength grow.

The story keeps you guessing with a number of unexpected twists and turns and I love the style that Smith imploys with the extracts of diary entries which put you in Elena's mindset and see everything through her eyes.

I loved the errieness that Smith manages to maintain with the Graveyard and the church.

The ending is shocking and I was left reeling and wondering if it could be so, so much so that I had to buy the next one in order to find out!

Take my advice, stop comparing to Twilight, every book you read will probably not live up if you keep doing that, so just look at it as it's own and I promise you will enjoy it and will not be able to stop! :)

Cassandra220689
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2009
Anyone reading this book would be forgiven for thinking that it was rather derivative of a certain other one, (Twilight that is). It even has an apple on a black cover ... Amazingly, it was published over ten years before Stephanie Meyer had even started hers. Understandingly, the publishers have jumped on the bandwagon with a new edition. I didn't discover it until I had already read Twilight though, so my thoughts about Smith's book can't help but but be influenced by the other.

The Vampire Diaries was originally written as a trilogy in 1991, and extended to 4 parts a year later. This edition contains parts 1 & 2. Smith is now adding another new trilogy to the series, and inbetween also created the 'Night World' series of novels featuring many different supernatural races.

Smith's heroine is beautiful and popular, and when a new boy Stefan comes to school, she just has to have him. Sure enough he's a vampire with an evil older brother Damon. Back in the Renaissance they both loved the same woman, who became a vampire and then when they forced her to choose between them, she took both. Stefan still thinks she really loved him before she died; and Elena reminds him of her - so they're made for each other. Nasty things start to happen in this little town - there's a big black crow always around, then people get scared in the old ruined church, and an old guy is killed under bridge over the river. Then at the school's Halloween Haunted House party, someone dies - all fingers point to Stefan, but we know that Damon lives and he wants what his brother wants ...

Arguably, although more happens than in Twilight, I found the Vampire Diaries rather ordinary and humourless, somewhat full of stereotypes and also lacking the former's subtlety. Also, for a book with the word 'Diaries' in the title, the few diary pages included were strangely uninvolving to me. I would describe the book(s) as competent, and fans of her Night World series will surely enjoy these vampires.
on 19 January 2010
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I personally thought this book was by far better than the twilight series. For a start it iseasier to read, as I found the twilight series (and bella) totally tiresome and hard going. Nothing much occurs in twilight where as this book, there is action all the way through. Don't get me wrong this isn't the best book you'll ever read or the most life changing but it certainly had me entertained and eager to read more...again unlike twilight. I can see where Myers found her inspiration but LJ smith far exceeds any of her novels. Its 'Gossip Girl' esk and fun. The character of Elena at first is shallow, self-centred and a bit of a princess but her character developes for the better unlike the dull egotistical bella (who is bland and bratty all the way through) and the main male characters (especially Damon) are more engaging. It has dark elements which I like and the vampires are depicted as not only seductive, handsome ect but monsterous and repellent. Ok, the story is simple but I can't help but praise it and I'm sorry for offending any twilight fans- as it is possibly the worst book I've ever read and wasted minutes of my life on(I could only read one and half novels and sent them packing to the charity shop)and I was expecting similar from Vampire Diaries, so it came as a pleasant surprise that it was hugely better.Give it a go if you fancy a bit of light reading and supernatural fun. x
on 27 August 2009
I bought this book primarily for two reasons.
1) Apparently if you enjoyed Twilight, you would enjoy this.
2) I'd heard rumours that Stephanie Meyer stole her ideas from this series, and I was intrigued.

I can deifnatley see similarities between Vampire Diaries and Twilight - the vegetarian diet, the "I love you, but I might kill you" aspect, the school, somebody trying to kill the main girl, the vampire reading minds etc etc. Ok, so maybe they are very similar. BUT, this book is primarily a children's book, and I doubt it will interest anybody over the age of hmmmm 14? Especially not if they've already read Twilight.

I'm fully aware that this book was written before Twilight - 2001 to be exact. But she fails to use any language which may captivate her audience. The main girl is shallow and self absorbed, for some reason everybody loves her, and then she decides she wants to date the new "hot" guy with a Porshe 911. How original.

I gave this book two stars instead of one, because I did find myself strangely wondering how the book would end, so the author obviously did something right at some point. Although, as I read the rather swift ending, I felt the disapointment come flooding back. This book has obviously only been re-released due to the success of Twilight, hoping that they will gain a few new fans - which I'm sure it will. I'm afraid their sales may only reflect how much readers are dying for another twilight book to be released, hoping this will fill their void. And unfortunatley it won't.

Save your money, cross your fingers and hope that Stephanie Meyer releases Midnight Sun.
77 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2008
Now, I've read L.J.Smith's Nightworld series and I found those books absolutely amazing, some of the best teen vampire books ever written and so typically, I was expecting the same type of goodness from this book which is a new edition of the seperate books 'Awakening' and 'Struggle' so it's a two-in-one combo... anyway back to the point, the book wasn't what I was expecting, in other words it didn't really do anything for me.

From the beginning the storyline was hard to get into and some parts of the book seemed patchy as if Smith forgot what she was writing about. There were some interesting parts in the book and Elena the main character is very interesting and not your usual protagonist as she's got a personality that you can identify with. Well, anyway Elena begins to fall for the new student at her high school the italian Stefano, who is the most good-looking guy at school but there is something strange about him... he's a vampire but not just any vampire, a vampire with a dark and tragic past and the deeper Elena falls for him the more danger she's in.

The reason I gave the book 3 stars and not one was because I felt the book had some good ideas although they weren't very well developed there was still a hint of something exciting in the background and well I gave another star out of loyalty to dear Ms. Smith who is quite wonderful.

Oh, and there are quite a few grammatical and spelling errors throughout the book which is at times very irratating because it is quite hard to understand what is actually written. But an ok-ish book nonetheless, worth reading if your a Smith fan and got nothing else to do.
on 20 July 2012
Here is what's wrong with this book and why I think the TV Show is brilliant compared to the book. The first part of the book is boring it evolves around Bonnie, Meredith and Matt a lot also Stefan and Damon are very nasty and aggressive with each another the way she describes what they do there is too much hatred, they are not like this on the show which I'm glad they didn't make them exactly as they are in the books.
on 26 March 2009
I bought this book after reading the Twilight series and it was very similar but different. It had everything Twilight didn't and I loved it. The character Stefan is similar to Edward but still very different, the same with Elena, she is popular, a little shallow and nothing like Bella except for when she feels that undying love for Stefan. For Twilight fans I would definitely reccomend this. It was a thouroughly enjoyable read.
on 25 July 2015
Don't read if you are a vampire diaries tv show fan looking for the origins or further tales of those characters. This was the book that inspired the tv show bit it is very different. Apart from the first few episodes of vd season one, there is little resemblence. However, if you forget the show, the book is great on its own. Romantic, gothic, mildly scary at times, the pace is good and the characters compelling. The story evolves nicely and you have to read it to its end. And remember, this came BEFORE twilight. This was the original in depth vampire-teen girl love story, after the buffy-angel storyline left us wanting more.
on 11 January 2012
I downloaded this book as I enjoy the TV series (high school stuff and anything with vampires or zombies being amongst my many guilty pleasures) I agree with many of the other reviewers that the book is a disappointment with gushing language, cliche after cliche and no likeable characters. If you like Mills and Boon style and there's nothing wrong with that, it's just not my cup of tea) then it might be enjoyable but it's not for me.