on 10 November 2014
This is only the second book of Sanderson s I've read and I really enjoyed it. His ideas and uses of different magics are amazing. Now on to book 2 of this series. Looking forward to it.
on 9 January 2012
Having listened io the audio book of the final phases of The Wheel of Time I decided to try this book. The writing of this epic tale is every bit as good as Robert Jordan and as gripping
on 13 April 2010
Started off a little difficult but the character development is excellent and the story unfolds at just the right speed leaving you wanting more at the end which is always a good sign.
on 17 September 2014
Awesome book, looking forward to second book in series. Good story and characters. Really enjoyed it but will book two be like other sequels and turn out to long-winded and boring ?
on 2 April 2014
Really enjoyed this book. I read a lot of fantasy and this was a refreshing look on a new world. Great idea great characters, don't see why a trilogy it stands fine as a single book.
on 11 March 2014
I don't usually like fantasy books, but this one captured me in straight away. I manage to finish this book in four days, it was all I wanted to do. I'm excited to read the second.
on 30 January 2014
Kept the reader's interest with plots, characters and intrigue. Easy reader that was difficult to put down. If you like fantasy without being too dark this is one you would like.
on 16 December 2012
I enjoyed this book very much. An interesting female heroine, who can manage to run without twisting her ankle. I very much want to see how this tale grows in subsequent books.
on 6 June 2011
I gave up on this during the first major fight sequence and threw it in the pile of fantasy books i've bought on the back of amazon reviews that are destined for oxfam. If this was a film it would have starred an old fat Steven Seagal and would have only been available to purchase online. Unfortunately the general standard of fantasy is so dire these days this book is rated among the top. I would rather see one in a hundred fantasy novels published than have to sift through the cliched, poorly written, stale and so offensively boring majority in order to find the likes of George RR Martin, Steven Erikson, Joe Abercrombie and the early Robin Hobb books. I guess all go back to reading fiction books until the (supposedly) soon to be released next George RR Martin installment.
66 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2014
Brilliant concept, cleverly constructed with interesting characterisations that work well together. I was fascinated to discover where BS was taking the reader. Recommended.