on 27 August 2014
Meh... this book is good but it's not great, and when I bought it I wanted it to be great. I know that's my problem so I still give it three stars, a fair score for a fair book.

But I have spent a lot of time recently looking for something I can get my teeth into, something that consumes me in the way that Tolkein, Feist, Heinlein and Moorcock do, but this isn't it. Several forums say that this would satisfy me as Hobb does but ten minutes after finishing it I still feel hungry, not gorged. I'm already looking for the next book when I had hoped I would need a few days to get over this one.

The characters are reasonably well filled out but not exactly rounded, comfortably well off as opposed to rich. There is an enticing new magic system but it feels contrived, there's something for every occasion. There are a few twists though, which are fun.

I am not saying don't read it, you should, it's good and much better than a lot of what I've found recently, but it's not on the same shelf as the books I am hoping to find.
on 27 May 2016
This is a great fantasy adventure that I highly recommend. After reading the prologue I admit I rolled my eyes a little as it seemed to depict quite a clichéd one dimensional character and story world, but the more I read the more the characters developed and the world wasn't so black and white.

The pacing was very good, I didn't feel overwhelmed by the introduction of lots of different characters, and there were plenty of mysterious and intriguing elements of the world introduced that made you want to keep reading more. I liked the ending and the way the story was set up throughout was very well done, and I have even more appreciation for it having read the next two books in the trilogy as even though the story resolves well by the end of book one, Sanderson does well to expand this and add plenty of mystery and twists.
on 25 October 2016
This is one of my favourite stories from one of my favourite authors and is now in my favourite format, a lovely hardback edition that looks wonderful on the shelf and will be read many times over again I'm sure.
I love the simple beauty of the cover. It makes you want to discover or even rediscover what is contained within the pages and I think the colour choice, whether intentional or not, sets your imagination into motion and adds to the mystery of the world of mist and ash fall.
Another great thing is that this book is affordable too. I was kindly bought the anniversary edition of Elantris, which is absolutely stunning but nearly four times the cost plus the shipping.
If you have not read the mistborn books then I would highly recommend you do so as soon as you can and I would suggest you buy this edition too. Kindles are convenient and brilliant but this book is something you would end up paying twice for if you get the digital copy first as its too lovely a thing to not have on your shelf at home.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 March 2014
It was with some trepidation that I started reading this book. I was half way into another fantasy authors first in a trilogy book and quite frankly was losing the will to ever read "The first in a trilogy" again. Mistborn was listed by a friend amongst the 10 Fantasy books you should read, or if not read say you had. A quick trip to the wonderful Amazon Kindle and I had a sample of Mistborn. Finished that and had no hesitation in buying the book. Yes its part of a trilogy now, but was one of those books that like Frank Herberts "Dune", was originally a complete work, I imagine such was the clamour from its readers that Brandon Sanderson was compelled to continue what in fact was in of itself a finished story.
The plot, A world similar to 16th/17th Century Western Earth. No Guns, but pointy things a plenty. Slaves which are the oppressed majority, Nobility who are the uncaring landlords to these slaves, an economic system which depends upon cheap labour and the unceasing exploitation and aggressive control of said slaves. All topped off by a single world ruler who is considered to be God, with the personal power to prove that’s what he actually is.
I agree at this point your thinking. "Why bother it sounds dull?"
Add to this mix a group of conmen come freedom fighters and a young girl who has only known poverty and lawlessness all her short young life but who has a very faint magical talent, a charismatic if not probably insane thief. Then layer above this one of the most ingenious and well thought out magical systems I have come across, and yes I am still making it sound far less interesting than t truly is. Vin, our female thief reluctantly becomes involved and to her horror has to pretend in part to be a minor noble. Kelsier our hero never explains the grandeur of his plan, even we the readers don’t see it until its happened and the effects of his actions cause a chain of events he could see but no one else had expected.
This is truly a book I could not leave alone. I’m not a speed reader and this is not a short book, but even I managed at my plodding speed to devour it over the course of a weekend. Fortunately my wife was very understanding as she vacuumed around me and brought food and drink to me.
What a fabulous book, I wondered why it wasn’t a film, but then was grateful it isn’t, Hollywood for their part would butcher it as usual when converting epic books to a 2 hour format. The fantastic events which played out in my imagination put there by the superb and effortless writing style of the author Brandon Sanderson surpass anything the film makers could achieve. If you like Fantasy and you like a seriously compelling story, but you haven’t yet read this, please read it.
on 22 February 2017
I've been late to the Brandon Sanderson party. After reading many other fantasy novels I finally got around to reading these and all I can say is that the positive reviews on here are completely justified. For me, the world Sanderson has created is refreshing and the magic (as anyone who knows the author) is typically intriguing and clever. A superb escape from reality. Highly recommended.
on 5 October 2015
Great opener for the series. It's a nice spin on traditional fantasy, the premise is that the population is primarily split in to Skaa (slaves) and nobility with a few minor races. The story revolves around an attempt by a band of Skaa thieves to overthrow the Lord Ruler to bring about freedom and equality. Magic is limited to the nobility (and illegitimate children of the nobility) and manifests in the form of 'allomancy' and 'feruchemy' -the manipulation and use of metals. I won't spoil it for you but it is well thought out and we don't suffer so much from the usual indestructible good guys saved by a well timed fireball.

The characters are well described and developed. It's a well written book, the world unfolds before us rather than a massive introduction. Absolutely loved it and have the next two books on standby!
on 15 January 2016
So in every fantasy book, good will eventually prevail. However, what if the the evil side had won - where would humanity be 1000 years down the line? In the Final Empire....
I adore Brandon Sanderson books and this is the first one I read that got me hooked. If you are into fantasy books and haven't read Brandon Sanderson, I strongly recommend that you do so, starting with the mistborn trilogy. I find him one of the most refreshing fantasy writers in a while and I will be re-reading this trilogy soon.
I purhcased this book as I had loaned the original book to a friend, who somehow managed to lose it, and it is a must have in my book collection.
on 8 December 2014
Bought this book on recommendations for the fantasy genre, and have been pleasantly surprised. It's not a book or an author I would have picked off the shelf. I found the first half of the book a bit dry, and the characters take a bit of time to come to life, but the last half of the book really kicks off. The setting is quite dark and oppressive but rather intriguing. The author describes scenes in detail but not to the extend of being too wordy. I found myself wanting to read "just one more chapter" and that doesn't happen often.

Giving the rating 4 stars because of the slow start (there was one whole, long chapter about a planning meeting I found especially dull), and I think the magic system is bit peculiar, but I would award 4.5 if possible.

After reading the last few chapters I'll definitely be looking to get the rest of the series.
on 14 June 2014
Stumbled across this trilogy while looking for something else but thought I'd give it a shot - boy am I glad a did. I tend to read as a quick-fix so don't normally look for anything too heavy, and it had been a while since I'd read anything on this scale. The world that Brandon builds in the readers imagination is huge. There's a lot going on and a lot of threads to the story and you really have to read all three books (I haven't read the fourth book yet so don't know how that feeds into the story) to get the full picture.

The story though conjours up great imagery and the action is compelling without getting bogged down with too much detail. I found the use of Allomancy a refreshing change to the "normal" use of magic in fantasy books these days and its use in the story just helps build the interest without sounding too far fetched.

What makes a story though are the characters and here Brandon excels. No spoilers but the way "the crew" builds and bonds allows the reader to develop a real empathy. Great characterisation.

My recommendation is to get started with this trilogy and just immerse yourself and enjoy the story.
on 19 March 2017
A new world with a magic system all of its own. Characters you care about and a great plot (can you tell that I loved this book?) give a real attachment to what is happening. Sanderson' work is up there with the best in authors working in the fantasy genre today.