Customer reviews

The London American Label Year By Year: 1963
Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 28 March 2011
What has been a feature of this excellent series is not only the product, but also the care with which the familiar and less familiar tracks have been skillfully mixed together, and that the notes by Tony Rounce have been both informative and detailed. This compilation continues that trend, and so whilst there are tracks that are familiar on 'this side of the pond' it includes some quite obscure material, biographical detail and information on which labels from the US London American had access to. Thus, for example this will be last compilation to feature any Dot material, whilst the Decca group were licensing newer and often more exotic material from other labels.Apart from material that Brits will be fully familiar with there are 'originals' that failed to make it, examples being The Moments "Walk Right In" (we somehow got a hit version by the Rooftop Singers),and "Sugar Shack" by Jimmy Gilmer, which got crowded out by the onset of Beatlemania. The licensing of the Phillies label adds scope to the 1963 collection, but my own three favourites are "What does a girl do?" by Marcie Blane, "Wonderful Summer" by Robin Ward (dreadful, but appealing at the same time!)and "Young wings can fly" by Ruby and the Romantics. As with all the compilations so far there are some you'll love and some you'll loath, but it's a lovingly put together compilation, made even better by the exquisite notes in the inner sleeve, a treat in thelselves.....BUY IMMEDIATELY!
33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 March 2011
I started buying this collection from the first edition, as it had Tiny Tim by Lavern Baker on it. one of my all time favourite R&B tracks. So I thought I would give it a go, and found the whole album intrigueing. As already mentioned in other reviews on this collection, not every track will appeal to everyone, but that is where these compilations have been clever, and have kept me and many other intereted purely because we dont always know what is coming next.

The Country, Ballady, and obscure songs I am not really into, but find it intereting that this label actually put these tracks out to their audiences of that genre. And each new release covers a multitude of Genres and songs.

Most people will know the Crystals, Del Shannon, Bob B Soxx and many other of the artistes, but not neccassrily the tracks included here. The quality of this Cd package (as with all Ace/Kent releases),cannot be faulted, even if I dont like all of the tracks.

Stand out tracks for me on this selction are The Righteous Brothers and "My Babe" a really Great version, Booker T & the MGs and "Chinese Checkers", Lavern Baker and "See See Rider" brilliant R&B, and Shirly Ellis doing the "Real Nitty Gritty", It is interesting that Sun , Kapp , Challenge , Atlantic and King and many other labels released through London American, and although I am familar with most of the artistes it is the unknown ones I look forward to playing just in case there is something there I like. But even though there may be only 20% of tracks I would purchase , and 50% of tracks that I would skip (Miriam Makeba being one such track)(30% i know but can take or leave) , it doesnt stop me buying each new release.

This edition of the London American label covers all Genres, from Country & Western, Soul, R&B and Pop, and we are only in 1963.

If you like sixties, or if you like collecting labels,then this cd (and series) is excellent value for money.
on 26 April 2011
Once again, ACE has spoilt us with a magnificant sample of London American releases and what a year 1963 was. The highlights are many but tracks from Del Shannon, Booker T & MGS, The Crystals, Roy Orbison and of course, The Ronettes are outstanding. I assume many of us have these tracks already, many times over if you are like me but to hear them altogether in their year of release is such a great way to travel back in time. You can't listen to this CD I'm sure without remembering where you were, what you were doing and who you were with and this is a major factor in these CDs being such a moving experience and a great success; they are a slice of history. Also, as with most products from ACE, there is a substantial booklet, full of interesting information. I understand there were 179 singles released on the London American label in 1963 so perhaps we can look forward to a further 5 CDs from ACE covering this year alone.
on 29 August 2014
Thank you.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 May 2011
Great compilation as the others in the series are, only one bad un , and that is the woeful "Prisoner of Love"

Great liner notes fantastic quality stuff
on 13 March 2012
This was sent to us very speedily and we were very impressed, this was for a birthday present and was very well received - loved the songs and brought back memories
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse