Customer reviews

PhoneShop [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change
Price:£9.73+ £1.26 shipping

on 20 October 2013
Absolutely brilliant groundbreaking comedy. Great acting with great characters, great lines and great script. I love it! And you will too!
on 18 June 2011
I can't wait to watch this dvd, I've watched it on E4 and needed to re watch when it ran on Channel 4. Still LOL 2nd time around!! So quoteable & relatable. Love it!!

Roll on series 2 please!!
on 6 October 2013
Fantastic British comedy - This is laugh out loud at its best. Had myself and my son curling with laughter.
on 20 July 2011
After seeing the Phoneshop pilot episode, I was chuffed to bits it was commissioned into a series, as it is one of the funniest programs ever. Every member of the cast plays their part perfectly, the guest appearance of Fonejacker Kayvan Novak is inspirational and the stereotypes of the people the actors spoof is spot on. The recurring jokes are intelligent, such as none of the shop workers respecting pay as you go customers and college graduate Christopher's gradual acceptance by his co workers. The references Phoneshop's characters use relating to all matters high street are very fresh, the series contains so much humour you are still finding new gags on the third or forth viewing. People slating Phoneshop as an Ali G rip off have completely missed the point, buy this and you will not be disappointed.
on 22 June 2013
If you appreciate language and literacy, this is the one for you. I personally think all English students should carry this in their satchel. Filled with very funny and well crafted subtle moments with additional material from the Cast who collectively and individually make Phoneshop one of the best on TV for some time. Buy It!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 August 2011
People tend to either really like PhoneShop or really hate it. The people I know who hate it, however, said they watched the first bit of the pilot, saw the characters and assumed it was crap without really ever getting into the series. Having watched the whole thing on it's release I found it to be absolutely hilarious, then same again when I re-watched it on 4OD. If it's not for the straight-up gags that they do it's the gag's they don't, or the mannerisms, or the cultural references. It's really clever stuff.

The character Ashley is the one most people seem to have an aversion to. I'm lead to believe this is mainly because of how he speaks in comparison to how he looks. but he played the part amazingly and his character gets better and better as the series progresses. Besides, whatever initial impression you get of any character in film or TV is almost always intentional.

To write this off as your run of the mill "Forgettable" "Ali-G rip-off" wouldn't be right, it works so well it's unreal.

I'm not saying "BUY THIS NOW, YOU NEED IT", by all means watch the whole pilot on 4OD or something similar and make the decision yourself. I loved it and I reckon you'd be missing out if you didn't give it a go.
on 28 November 2011
Having watched Pulling and cringed, winced, shrieked and laughed my socks off I watched the Phoneshop Pilot, it was funny, typically British taking the P out of ourselves. It's like marmite, love it / hate it. I think it's also very clever and if you 'get it' you'll love it, if you 'don't get it' you just carry on watching what you do get innit :-).
on 19 August 2011
Love this show. The pilot killed it and when I saw that a series was coming out I could not wait! E4 gets respect for making this, please make series 2 thats all I can say.
The characters gel well and all are funny. Thanks for a great british urban show. More please..
on 7 December 2012
Really funny, you'll definitely remember this show. And it's great value for money and defenialy worth every penny . .
on 30 April 2013
Agree with other reviewers the first episode and in particular the pilot were close to the mark, but hang in there!
The series (and second series) is in my opinion brilliant, well observed, very well cast and acted. For me it's perfectly pitched - it's a shame it's not as ubiquitous as the inbetweeners.
The DVD itself is good value, you get the pilot and some actually hilarious deleted scenes. Not scenes that you watch and think well good job they weren't in the show but deleted scenes you will watch again and again! Give it a go :)