on 18 July 2017
I had bought this camera for college.
It's long since gone for a year or two now, but not due to any complications, I had finished college and outgrown it.

It's absolutely a brilliant and well recommended camera for any beginner. Or just anyone who fancies some high quality holiday snaps. It gives a range of options, but doesn't completely drown you in them, keeping it simple yet sophisticated.
It feels built to last. Not cheaply made like some other cameras can feel. I practised with a range of cameras during my course, and I would always come back to using my own (this one).
The battery life seemed to last perfectly fine, I could take it out for a day shoot, come back and the battery would still be fine.

I can honestly say I personally never had a problem with this camera. Great for beginners, probably not suitable for anyone experienced as it's very simple in any DSLR terms.
on 29 March 2017
I have had this for years and its an amazing camera.
on 20 September 2014
Brilliant camera for the price, easy to use, takes great pictures, quite light and can be used with interchanging lenses.
on 25 January 2015
Excellent product and first class service.
on 2 June 2017
quality camera
on 13 January 2013
This is a nice entry-level DSLR camera, with an excellent cost-quality ratio and a good set of resources for photographers moving just up from compact cameras but not ready yet, like me, to invest big money on more expensive cameras.
on 18 February 2014
We are Canon people. That's just the way it is. Love this and it does everything it should do. Have to say on a general design note, why does the menu system really need to be that involved.

Buy one of these and you will be quite happy.

NOTE: the 18-55 lens supplied is not an Image Stabilised lens. Just beaware of that!
on 10 September 2016
Very pleased with the service & product will shop again!!!
on 7 February 2012
I've had this camera for nearly six months now, and I have to say I love it. I got it as an early birthday present, but the choice was my own. I went around every store I could find with cameras, trying out various models within the budget I was told to stick to. There are a lot of fantastic cameras out there, but trying them out, I found that this was definitely the one for me. It took a while to get used to all the features, but I was determined to get good manual shots. Now, I hardly use the auto settings as I can get "my" pictures through the manual settings.

Auto is fantastic - especially when you don't know what you're doing. Every shot looked great and I used the information the camera provided to try and replicate them, getting used to what affected what. The images I've gotten from it are crisp, sharp and full of colour. I'm now shooting RAW and with various filters for different shots. I love the bulb mode for night shots and light art, though have only used it a couple of times.

It is a very light camera in my opinion. It feels lighter than it looks really, and can seem cheap compared to others out there. It has, however, taken a few knocks and scuffs and got caught out in the rain once, all with no effect on the camera or the photos it provided - though I would recommend getting a cover if you plan to be out in the rain. I'm getting a battery grip for portrait shooting and also to add a bit of weight to the camera. Since getting the Sigma 70-300mm lens, it needs the extra weight to help balance as light camera and heavy lens makes it difficult to keep level.

Also, the kit lens leaves something to be desired. But lenses are definitely something to look into as you can afford them. The lens is fine for beginners, but I have tried out other lenses and the difference is noticeable. For keeping up a hobby, it is more than satisfactory, and most professionals can probably afford better.

A tripod is a must. I don't have any IS lenses, and having both my table-top and full-size tripod, I feel no need. I have taken hand-held shots that are perfectly fine, and when I know I'm going to want longer exposure, I always use a tripod. Other accessories are also needed to get the best out of the camera, but these are needed with most cameras to get the best you can out of them. The filters, tripods, battery grips, remote shutters etc are easy to find and don't have to break the bank. I'm still on the lookout for a flash gun, though the one built is satisfactory. It's just better to be able to hold the gun in different positions, which you can't do with what it has. It's also not very powerful.

Battery life is great. I can get hundreds of photos, mixture of with and without flash, on a single charge... In fact, it took me 3 months after it's first charge before the battery icon started to flash. I was surprised as I am prone to accidentally leaving the camera on between trips out with it.

All in all, I am very happy with this camera and would recommend it as a first camera for everyone. I haven't really reached any limitations with it yet and won't upgrade to mid-level for some time as I feel the photos I'm getting are great as they are. I know this will eventually change, but not for a long time yet.

Edit to just say I've found something that kills the battery. Wanted to do a time lapse, tethered it to my laptop to take a photo every half hour.... Well... it's dead this morning after 12 hours.. ooops.

EDIT 2: I did some research - use an interval timer and the battery won't drain. The camera normally turns off between each shot, but when tethered, the camera has to remain on constantly to keep the connection, so rather than the nice power saving it has that makes it last forever, it's like using bulb mode
3636 Comments| 707 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2017