on 4 March 2012
Received 1/3/2012 but it is the old hardware V1 with ancient firmware on it (1/5/2011) shame on you amazon :-( now i see the price has dropped £20 since i purchased this 3 days ago

I cant be bothered to send it back as luckily V2'S only real upgrade is 5x faster USB port increase.

Cisco software fails to detect the router on my static ip setup so used manual web interface and was fine. guess that's my fault for not having things left at defaults.

Runs very hot but im told this is OK.

I purchased this to connect to my Apple TV 2 using wireless n 40MHZ 5GHZ, I was hoping to get 6-7 MegaBYTEs/sec transfer speed over 4 Meters through 1 ceiling, but... in fact the best I can get 3 MegaBYTEs/sec.

This is about 30% better than my old wireless n 20GHz 2.4MHZ router

The dual band works well for me I split it so my older gear like PS3 work on the slower band.

I have bought or tried many routers recently and although this review seems downbeat this is he best so far, and it looks good too.
One person found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 11 April 2012
We've just had BT Infinity installed, so needed a VDSL router to plug into the BT modem.

The Cisco Linksys E4200 seemed to fit the bill, but our first impressions were somewhat disappointing hence only 3 stars for this review. On the negative side, the installation program on the CDROM simply doesn't work. The first thing it tries to do is download an upgrade, which wouldn't proceed because there was no Internet access - duh! Secondly on Windows XP the installation program could not find any wireless networks that were under the control of "other programs". So even though it's possible to talk to the router via a web browser, the installation program stubbornly refused to work. Thirdly, the installation program liked to take down the wireless interface of the laptop and then hang. So three laptop reboots and a router reset later we tried the old fashioned manual set up method, via a web browser. If you are patient enough to click through the warning pages that tell you to use the installation program instead, the whole set up can be completed in 2 minutes. We also noticed that the router didn't like 32 bit subnet masks on the WAN interface with a static IPv4 address, although chosing the PPPoE option seemed to work around that problem.

So after a day of use what can we say? Well, apart from the installation fiasco, there is no SNMP or syslog support (shame on you Cisco), which hurts after replacing a far more feature rich ZyXEL ADSL router. Wireless access is flakey, especially on our "old" 802.11g Windows XP laptops, but wired access via the 4 port switch is super fast (probably an indication of BT Infinity rather than this box). In hindsight, we'd recommend looking around and chosing another router rather than this one. There features aren't rich enough, and the set up was a pain.
One person found this helpful
on 11 December 2011
I bought this as a replacement for the standard Echolife router that Talk Talk provide with their fibre optic service. I used to have the router for my old ADSL service in the centre of the house but that's not possible with fibre optic without a lot of inconvenient cabling because the BT-provided modem has to be plugged into the main phone input which is at one end of my house. Changing to fibre optic led to increased speed and bandwidth but greatly reduced range and complaints from the family who lost their service in their bedrooms - not much of an upgrade in their view. Experimenting with range extenders just degraded the whole system so I wanted to try a better router...and this one does the job brilliantly.

This is the easiest router to set up that I've ever had. Just replaced the old one with the Linksys, loaded the set-up CD on my Mac, changed the SSID and WAP2 password to the ones I already used on my network and bingo! The desktop, 3 laptops, PS3, media server, iPhone and iPods all connected with no problem and the range reaches the kids bedrooms at the far end of the house. The USB flash drive I connected was instantly recognised as another media server and could be 'seen' by all the devices, as could my Western Digital MyBookWorld.

I posted this because there must be lots of other Talk Talk customers out there with similar issues and I found a real shortage of info and advice on the web. So I hope this helps!
on 30 July 2013
We've had this for quite a while now and I must say its been very very good. No issues with WiFi dropouts and works well at high speeds up to 300Mb/sec. Also works nicely alongside another WAP on the same SID and allows clients to move from AP to AP with no issues. Setup can be complex for the newcomer, but if you know what you are doing this Cisco won't let you down. Range is good even indoors in a solid construction house. We get a good 20m at 54Mb +. Only slight downside is it runs warm so keep it somewhere well ventilated and don't cover it up !
on 21 June 2013
This is a good router. I run quite a convoluted network and I bought this for the dual band wireless access, the 1GB hub ports and the ability for a USB hard drive to be attached and used as network storage.
It also run a Twonky media server but to be fair this is the only feature that seems to be poor. It's flaky, you cannot change the configuration or tweak the settings.
Class router but if your primary feature after the wireless is the media server then personally would go and use something like Serviio which is heaps better.
on 5 January 2012
After being sent a Netgear DGN1000 by Virgin Media I have constantly had problems with my WiFi connectivity. After 3 months of dealing with their technical support telling me that there was no problems with the Netgear, I took it into my own hands to buy this!

The E4200 was simple to set up, just requiring me to plug an Ethernet cable from my Netgear to the "Internet" port of the E4200. The wireless has proved to be much stronger and now my connectivity issues have gone.

Only downside is the price, but it is a small price to pay for reliable Internet.
6 people found this helpful
on 18 April 2012
This initially looks like a very good product (E4200 v2 supplied by amazon.co.uk). The industrial design is very attractive and uses good quality materials, it is very simple to configure, and throughput is good (especially at 5GHz). However, it disconnects devices every 30 minutes (regardless of whether they are streaming data or idle), which can be very annoying depending on the application and how quickly the devices are able to reconnect. This should be a mature product by now, but it clearly is not - this is unacceptable for a premium product like this.

Update 24/Apr/2012: Changing the external DHCP server's lease time from 1 hour to 24 hours appears to have fixed the 30 minute disconnections (or at least made them sufficiently infrequent that they cease to be an issue). This is with the E4200 configured for bridge mode with its own IPv4 address assigned by DHCP. However, other issues remain such as the WL_ClientList.asp page not listing all connected devices.
on 5 June 2012
I bought this to replace my 3-4 year old Vigor 2820n as I was having problems getting connected to the wifi in some rooms in my new house.

The speed when on the 5GHz wifi was superior to the Vigor, however the range on the E4200 (on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz) was in almost all cases no better or worse than the Vigor. I've returned the E4200 for a refund.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 November 2013
I live in France, I watch English and US TV. I purchased an Apple TV, PureVPN subscription and flashed this device with dd-wrt (which works perfectly). I can now watch Netflix in France through the Apple TV (UK or US). Great. Fast delivery and well packaged.
on 21 April 2013
Has reliability problems with my earlier router, and as the signal was poor, I had to resort to 3 other routers set to "rebroadcast" - which was a pain to setup and administer. This device, now in the centre of the house, reaches all corners and works day in, day out.