With all the hype surrounding the Dremel Trio, via TV adverts, magazine reviews and the net, I placed this tool on my most wanted list.

Thankfully I got this at Lightning deal price, else I would have been quite disappointed.

I really wanted to like this tool, and to be honest it does quite a decent job, yet it does not live up to the marketing hype.

So the Trio stands for Sanding, Cutting and Routing. It surely does all three, yet it has limitations which would not be acceptable at the full asking price.

The minimal accessories supplied, which in my opinion should be referred to as "bare essentials", means that you would have to purchase additional very expensive Dremel accessories. Thankfully one could find third party accessories at a fraction of the cost of Dremel ones.

I have given a 3 star rating based on the full asking price. I would rate it 4 stars if I had to take into account the £49.99 I paid for it.

The bottom line: If you manage to get hold of this tool at a bargain price, than go for it. The build quality is good and it will last for several years being used as a jack of all trades.
on 3 March 2013
A good piece of kit especially at the price I paid for it via Amazon - less than £ 50.00 !
Bear in mind though, that this is a hobby / small DIY tool so if your expecting something for industry then look for something else. Not sure how long the supplied [ one ] drill / cutting bit will last, only time will tell but having used it all day it's doing what I want it to do.
Delivery was quick, so I have no complaints .. so far.
on 1 October 2012
this is fantastic to use really simple and i have arthritis and find it very comfortable to work with.One negative is that i was dissapointed not to get more cutting tools with it, i know you can purchase these seperately but a reasonable selection would have been wonderful because if you live somewhere rural and public transport is scant you might need a quick replacement but not be able to get it.The tool is great for cutting upside down i:e ceilings for lighting fitments,holes in the side of kitchen sink units to push drainage pipes through.well worth the cost and will come into its own when i start to produce my small wooden toys and xmas decorations.It does several different jobs negating the need to have several bulky tools out taking up space and the speed with which you can change its use from one thing to another is a great time saver.the router tool part is fab for decorating homemade items and overall i have been very pleased with it cant honestly find any thing that needs addressing well worth buying
on 13 January 2013
This is a must for any hobbyist. It was £40 cheaper than B&Q .
It arrived very quickly and I am very pleased with it.
It comes in a very sturdy case and performs better than I expected.
on 5 February 2015
I think whilst this is best described as 'handy', 'nimble' and 'good value', it has struggled to impress on various jobs, leading me to resort to more professional and heavier tools unfortunately. The one failing of the unit is that (probably due to it's small size) it's just not powerful enough to cope with various application. One of the jobs I had in mind was to route out inserts for door hinges and latches, something that on first glance should be exactly the sort of application this tool is aimed at. In reality the cutting bit struggled cutting anything deeper than 2mm smoothly, and even then because it is a very light tool it skipped given half the chance. Also the depth guard was annoyingly fiddly and impossible to adjust with any real accuracy. I broke out the Dewalt router in the end which sailed through the job in seconds.

In summary this tool still has it's place in the garage and will get some use over the years I'm sure, however if you're someone that likes to buy a tool once and for it to perform time and time again, then I'd give this one a miss.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2014
This is quite a smart bit of kit and the multi-use is a bonus, but if you have previously owned a dremel and thought you would be able to use the bits from it on this model then you are in for a disapointment. The parts to fit this dremel are also rather expensive - you have been warned!
on 9 September 2013
I have a lot of respect for Dremel products and I still have. Unfortunately every now and then a right lemon comes a long, and this is one of them. I bought this on the basis that it "cut and "routs" etc. Arrived next day (Well-done Amazon), excitedly opened it all up!

I read all the instructions watched the "DVD" (YAWN). Followed what they said about test pieces...

Thank god I used it on a test piece! My test piece was a plank of real wood flooring, marked out an oblong shape on, set the speed to 9 as suggested placed it at 45 deg to enter the wood. What I got was:

Yellow burning smoke

The bit almost burnt out (You know the Yellow Blue Purple discoloration)

Bit travelled less that 0.5cm in 45 sec (with little pressure as per instruction) slow or what

And finally the piece of flooring actually caught fire.

I am suspicious though, the cutting bit (T563) that came with the pack was totally smooth on the shank yet the replacement bit available from Amazon and Dremel show it as serrated, maybe that's why it was unable to cut! Gut feeling though, it feels as though this product is aimed at the hobby market / lightweight diy enthusiast.

Make sure that when you get this item, that cutting bit isn't smooth on the shank. If it is, then keep a bucket of water nearby!

If anyone else would care to comment about the supplied T563, maybe I had a bad bit. It would be greatly appreciated.
on 25 December 2013
This tool is awesome. I have used small grinders and and sanders and whizzers before, but this operates at a whole new level. I haven't even begun to tap into its potential, but already I love its power and versatility. Very impressive.
on 19 August 2012
Perfect little tool, amazing power in such a small package. Cuts through wood like a hot knife trough butter. Freehand cutting is amazingly easy, like slowly writing with a pen. Some people compare it to a toy, and it is, can't put it down, have to use it all the time! Of course it still is a hobby tool, keep in mind the maximum cutting depth of 3/4 inch, but also its price is really small, just paid 59,99 Euro in Germany for it, new from the store. A big circular saw no doubt will cut trees into planks, but that is comparing apples to oranges.
on 18 September 2013
I needed to route some features in an ABS plastic case and thought this would do the job nicely.
However, device is not very robust. It's does not have a plunge mechanism for routing (my bad for not doing my research) but this is a serious flaw when trying to use it as a router. The mechanism generally are of poor quality and thus inaccurate.
It's fine for rough cutting etc but do not use this item for anything delicate or accurate.

If you do use this product for routing make sure you secure the work piece firmly, this device will kick wildly and bye bye nice accurate cutting/routing.

Probably a bit expensive for what you get.