on 28 December 2014
Love the coffee. Love the ease of using it but just wish the milk wand was more flexible and has more power. It does froth but seems to take so long. We used over Xmas period and when you've got around 10 coffees to make I think I was doing them for around 20 minutes plus. .. We use costa coffee with ours and it's a great buy it would be good if it had an automatic switch off feature, like a button for the 1 shot and a button for 2. Some people may see it as a plus that it doesn't do that so you can add the desired amount of coffee but I think it should really run an accurate amount of water per coffee scoop.

6 months later update

I don't know what I'm doing differently. In fact I'm confident I'm doing everything the same. I use the scoop that comes for coffee measure and tamper coffee same as always. I've given it a thorough clean several times and no matter what I do my coffee is not producing a crema. Which means disgusting coffee. I've tried buying different brands. Probably a good 10 or so and I've just thrown them all away as nothing is working. The only conclusion I can come to is that the machines temperature isn't right so the coffee isn't caramelising .. We are really disappointed and think we may have to give up on this machine.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 May 2014
I recently bought this coffee machine to use at work. I have a De Longhi coffee machine at home, which is very good if a little expensive. For work I needed something more compact and this coffee machine seemed to fit the bill.

The Positives

*The machine is aesthetically pleasing and very compact.
*The water tank is easy to fill and empty.
*The quality of the coffee produced is reasonable, not the best but given the price of this machine it is very good.
*The machine reaches pressure quickly.
*The machine is inexpensive as espresso machines go.

The Negatives

*The steam wand is difficult to use and squirts far too much water into the milk, especially when you first turn the steam on. This can leave the milk very watery particularly if you use skimmed milk.
*The machine has a very small clearance height between the espresso spout and the cup stand. I make it roughly 9cm. Most beakers and certainly no latte glass will therefore fit under it. I have to use an espresso cup then pour the coffee into my latte glass.
*The steam capacity of the machine is low and will only froth enough milk for two lattes before it needs recharging.

Overall, I am pleased with my purchase. I did not want to spend too much for a machine for work and this is an excellent price. The quality of the coffee is good and I can work round the other drawbacks of the machine. However, if I was to buy a replacement machine for home I would definitely buy a De Longhi machine over this one.
on 5 May 2017
terrible design. Luke warm coffee every time
on 27 January 2015
Coffee not hot. Will only take small cups. Even with double grain quantities coffee is weak and will certainly not make two full cups at the same time. Disappointing but mechanically works correctly.
on 27 November 2014
Nice machine, nice coffee with the capsules at a good price
on 9 April 2013
Great coffee, Good Price (<£90), Styling, Well made
The pressure for the milk frother uses sream from the same source as the espresso so you need to wait for it to build up again after the espresso part is finished. You can get espresso makers with separate pumps, but they cost at least twice as much. The cleaning of the milk frother arm after each cup should be done quickly to avoid the milk drying.
on 27 December 2014
I worked for Caffè Nero for over a year and I wanted a little coffee machine once I stopped working there, but kept putting it off... So my husband gave it to me for Christmas this year :D
I am still learning how it works and what it takes to make nice froth for cappuccino, but it's looking good so far.
I see most people brew the coffee first and then froth the milk, but just seems backwards to me. My advice would be to froth the milk first and then make the coffee, this allows for the milk to settle while you wait for the coffee to be ready. It won't take you more than a minute and if you heat the milk to the appropriate temperature it should be fine.
on 22 January 2013
Not as good as our previous Delonghi which was excellent, but good enough for the price. Worth buying for a first buy
on 5 November 2014
I've had this espresso maker for 12mths now and I have to say for the money it is a very good little machine. I'm no coffee expert by no means but I can make a coffee using this machine just as good as any experinced expensive high street coffee shop barista.

Yes the machine has its downsides; No cup warmer, only 1 pump so you need to run water through the machine to fill-up the reservoir to use the steamer, no auto flow cut-off etc. However if you really wanted all those features you would have to spend a couple of hundred pounds on a machine not £85.

As long as you remember to take these few steps before making your coffee you'll have no issues;

- warm the machine-up propoerly by letting it heat-up until light comes on (it doesnt take long) and then run some plain water through it 1st to allow the portafilter to properly heat up and the cup you are going to use to measure your cofee in (I use a proper 2oz measuring glass). Letting the machine and its parts reach the proper operating temperature is the most importatnt step. You have to remember that when you buy your coffee from a high street cafe the machines they use are left on 24/7 to ensure the machine is always at the correct temperature.

-warm up your steam wand and drain the condensate that comes out of it for the 1st few seconds of use before using it to heat-up your milk to 70 Deg.C. If you dont do this step you will find that your milk becomes very watered down and will effect the taste of your cup of coffee.

-Tamp down your coffee grounds gently (you will need some practice here to work out correct pressure, you dont need a lot) in the portafilter before attaching to the machine.

If you always have a routine and follow the above simple steps the machine will make the perfect coffee everytime. Mine has performed faultlessly.
on 2 June 2013
The machine works great. It makes me good coffee. I even use it to brew tea for my wife. Its awesome. Definitely recommend it.