Platform: PC|Edition: Limited|Change
Price:£4.03 - £47.97

on 22 December 2011
Although I am 65 and retired I just love computer games and have since Pong and Space Invaders were available to have in our homes. I have moved up from a Playstation to a home computer as it is more convenient. I can honestly say that Battlefield 3 is awesome. The campaign is nothing special as games go but the multiplayer is something to behold. The graphics are breathtaking and although I have updated my graphics card the extra cost,which came out of my pension, was well worth it. I play every day and I have made some good friends both in this country and abroad too. I am not brilliant like my younger opponents but I am ranking up slowly. I got the game at a brilliant price by ordering in advance from Amazon and received the first new map "B2K"
free which is also superb. The game has recently been updated and suffers from less problems as it did at first launch. This is a seriously addictive game without doubt the best first person shooter on the market today. Buy it, you will love it.
on 31 October 2011
I don't normally write game reviews but my experience of this game over the past couple of days has compelled me to write this one, so here goes...

Having bought and played computer games (both console and PC) for over 30 years now I have to say this one has given me the most problems when it came to installation and the system it uses (i.e. Origin).

I own and play most of the released FPS games, especially CoD, Battlefield, MoH etc and am happy to use such systems as Steam. No issues with that.

But Origin is a total nightmare. It took me over three hours to get the game installed, activated and configured. I own a DVD copy of the game and never managed to actually install direct from the discs. Instead, after some forum searching on the net, I ended up copying the contents from both discs to a folder on my hard drive and installed from there!

To say I was extremely angry is a massive understatement. In fact I was so wound up that I literally got the game installed and configured then shut down my PC and went to cool off for a while. I was seething and I've never felt like that before just because of a computer game.

Origin is so intrusive. Why does it need to collect so much information on me and my PC? And how come we have no opt out option with regards allowing EA to pass on our info to third parties?? The fact that you HAVE to agree to all of this before you can play the game seems ludicrous.

And bear in mind you're not aware of any of this until you've removed the shrink wrap and started to install the software, by which point you've probably lost any chance of being able to return your game for refund.

I've only just started playing the game itself and at the moment all I can think of is, what is Origin doing in the background while I'm in the game? This somewhat spoils the experience.

Hopefully I can get into the game and enjoy it (from first impressions it does look good) but I will think twice now before I buy another Electronic Arts game that requires you install something like Origin.

EA... please get your act together and sort this out.
88 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
THE GOOD !

Awesome multiplayer.
Lots and lots of different weapons and attachments.
Some beautiful lighting and effects.

THE BAD :(

Boring single player campaign.
Massive loading times.
You need to use origin to run the game.
Many repawning enemies in single player makes it feel a bit cheap.
Enemies have instant aimbot on hard difficult setting, even the turret on the tanks spin 180 degrees in 0000.1 seconds if your out of cover.

THE (Origin) UGLY !!

Origin.
Origin is something you don't want to install, it's a program that makes the battlefield 3 experience on the pc feel outdated, slow and very awkward.

Origin makes you use a web page for a server browser, rather then a normal ingame server browser like pc gamers are used to.

Origin makes you reload the game each time you want to swap between campaign, co-op and multiplayer.

Origin makes linking up with your friends 1000s time more complecated then using steam.

Origin doesn't like avast anti virus and can block the web page from working.

Origin sells your information to 3rd parties.

Origin is EA being totally greedy idiots.

If you have respect for gaming on the pc, you will boycott this game.
1010 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 October 2011
To start off, Battlefield 3 is Great, after the 2 hours trying to get it installed through the sh** heap which is Origin..
Now, if you want your personal details, bank details stored in documents and other private things you store on your computer copied and taken by EA then by all means, install origin.
Origin is basically Dressed up Spyware, how do we know this?

// You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION.

The terms and conditions of use above are the things you agree too during installation of origin which people normally skip over, but this time, people read it! and my god it came as a shock, all my friends have returned their copies and im pending my own, i played 2 hours of the game when i got a call informing me about this spyware, i did my research and i was shocked to see that Amazon was basically selling spyware.

Just a warning, Dont buy untill EA have answered for this, the data protection act need to get involved with this. Not to go against DICE but to basically muder the hell out of the creators of Origin.

The whole part of installing through this application is just mad, Steam i can handle because its smooth and its a great DRM, but origin installing though that is just a nightmare, took me 2 to 3 hours to get the game working through countless "Not Installed" errors, then it opens through a bloody website, its just madness..
1515 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2011
Excellent game that was destroyed by an insane copy right control software. The right to scan my computer for software and publish this information with my name? I paid a fair amount of money for a product and relenquish virtually ALL of my privacy to use it? I would laugh about this if it weren't so sad.
1212 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 October 2011
I am not going to review this game based on the fact that you have to install Origin, even though it is clear this is a last ditch attempt by EA to get EADM on as many computers as possible. No instead I am going to review it on my playing of this game over the last 48 hours... so here goes.

BF3 is without doubt the best web page based game ever, the way it lists the game servers in a separate web browser, lets you join them and then tells you your connection has timed out all without ever having to bother the player with the pesky business of actually playing the game is amazing. Their was one moment where unfortunately my computer did switch to some actual in game game play and I was forced to run around and shoot some people but thank god that only lasted 3 and a half minutes before I was back looking at Firefox with a message saying my connection to the server had timed out.

I did have a dig around on the EA forums to see if anyone else was having their web based browser fun disturbed by minutes of actual in game game play and it seems that quite a lot of people are indeed having to suffer with this issue, but thank god for EA they are doing their best to resolve this issue by providing stone age server support that could be bested by my kitchen toaster, inter mixed with masses of saying nothing and doing nothing to assure or reassure the people who have bought their game that they are on top of the issue and are trying to come up with some way of fixing it.

Anyway enough with the jollyness, this game is without a shadow of a doubt the worst day one release I have ever encountered. I can only hope that EA are ashamed of their part in this game, remember the; servers, battle log, Origin all the rubbish stuff that doesn't work is a direct result of EA. I can only hope they are ashamed because otherwise this game is one of the best practical jokes of the year!
44 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2011
There is nothing wrong with the product in itself. Battlefield 3 is a fun tactical shooter which places an emphasis on teamplay. Unfortunately it comes bundled with EA's Origin. Origin monitors everything from game data to tax records and sends it to EA. The former is understandable. The latter is a complete and utter breach of privacy and I still struggle to understand how it's legal for these corporations to effectively spy on their consumers. Avoid this spyware in disguise if you place any value in your personal liberties. Also petition your lawmakers and let's try to place some regulations on these reprehensible practices.
66 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2011
I know I'm going to get a lot of downvotes for this review because of my Origin stance, but please bear with me and read this in its entirety. First off to the other reviewers; you should be reviewing the game, not the software it comes with. Yes Origin sucks but it isn't actually the game itself. I will address the misinformation about the EULA later in my review.

Secondly the actual review. This game is absolutely fantastic, the Frostbite engine looks truly amazing and produces some of the best graphics and physics out there. The gameplay itself is very similar to BF2, concentrating on larger scaled combat supported by air and vehicles than the close quarters like of Modern Warfare. If you want short, intense action I wouldn't recommend looking here. Most servers are 32/64 man and have fairly sizeable maps. They have also introduced an optional hardcore mode (similar to CoD's) with strips away the HUD, decreases player health and entirely removes health regeneration. This mode essentially stops people from being bullet sponges. The unlock and rank system works in a similar way to Bad Company's; lots of short, quick ranks and unlocks. You unlock weapons by playing as specific classes (assault rifles for Assault, Snipers for recon etc) and unlock PDW's, perks and camouflage by ranking up. It doesn't take the hundreds of hours to get to an officer rank like BF2 did but it does involve quite a lot of effort on your part. Roughly 50% of the maps are enclosed, street based combat and the other 50% are the larger, open field maps that the Battlefield series is renowned for so this should please a lot of the fanbase due to the variety. There has also been an introduction of new (and old) game modes such as team deathmatch. Unfortunately there are a number of bugs (sound muting randomly, green flashes due to the use of beta drivers, server lag issues) and a sizeable amount of hackers. Every few servers I see punkbuster ban someone for hacking. As for single player, it is truly dire. Poorly written and the story is really generic, but who plays a Battlefield game for single player?

Thirdly, Origin. Don't get me wrong I hate this piece of software and it does indeed suck but it does *not* spy on you. If most of the other reviewers actually read the EULAs of the software on their systems then the wording of Origin's should not have surprised them. For example, article 2 of Origin's EULA (the one that worries people) is absolutely identical, but rearranged to section b of iTunes' EULA. Now I ask of the other reviewers, how many of them regularly install or update iTunes without a second's hesitation? If you don't believe me please go check for yourself. EULAs suck but they are all worded like this. I suggest we all keep calm and get our game on.

Overall I'd rate this game as 8.5/10, it's the closest thing we'll get to BF2 but it seems more of a spiritual successor as it inherits a lot of mechanics from the BC series. The wide gameplay and vehicle support is something I've missed from FPSs in recent years, even BC was on the small side for Battlefield. However it loses marks for the significant number of bugs currently still present in-game and the forced use of the rather poor Origin software. However if the latter puts you off the game entirely, especially in terms of the EULA, then all I can say is that you are honestly missing out on the best FPS games since BF2 itself.

EDIT 2: The proxy issue appears to have been resolved. The game runs absolutely fine on proxy (ie university) networks now.
1010 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2011
My PC is MY privacy and not EA`s. Sorry Dice, for that good Game. But i cant`t install it, with this conditions.
on 31 October 2011
Buy CD, enter key, download huge file, download Origin, I just want to play the game, not yet.... download update, verify it is past release date, now when I open the game I am taken to a web browser where I must select my server, after downloading some JavaScript plugins. Now I'm clicking on servers to open them and EA has lost what little common sense it had in BF2 because there is no longer a queue system. So any server that is 63/64 is unjoinable because it is "full".

PC gamers spend a lot of money to get the top graphics, and for some unknown reason, companies like EA are always making it harder and harder to play these games. Now I need an internet connection to play single player, and to play online I must go through a separate program and a web browser?

Absolutely ridiculous, 0/5
55 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse