on 8 September 2012
Straightforward to set up and to get up and running, albeit I am using only as simple network storage of my domestic data and music. Only puzzler I had was to delve into the config options so as to get the drive to auto startup each time the power is switched on (as I switch mine off with the router at night etc).
Tucked away in a cupboard, it runs quietly, and gets only luke warm (currently with just 1 drive installed). Does all I hoped for. D-Link box came with both UK & continental power leads.
on 20 December 2012
I've got this kitted out with a pair of 2TB drives in raid1, on a 100 meg LAN. I've not used all of the features yet but it seems to do everything it says on the tin quite nicely. Over a wired connection through the 100meg link I get between 7.5 and 10 megabytes per second transfer speeds but doing two operations at once drags it down to a total of about 4.

The GUI is relatively slow, especially when accessed remotely, but so far I've had no other problems with it. It sits at about 30C idling with its fans off, I've never had the fans on high despite transferring ~200gig to it, it never went over 44C on either drives or device temps.

So to me it seems silent and works well but I've no other NAS's to compare against, only proper server boxes.
on 6 September 2013
Reviews looked good, specs looked good, but I can't recommend this. Disk storage is all about trust (to me). This product looked promising, but out of the box, it looked flakey - power switch behind a flimsy metallic cover that flexed alarmingly and left visible pressure mark.

Hmm, I could let that go, but then came the setup process. Failed several times (including one memorable occasion when it offered me a dialog box: "00000000" Yes/No? Well that was too existential for me.

Finally coaxed it through to the point it formatted the disk, to some semblance of operation - but turned out to be dog-slow.

So, this is going back.
on 10 June 2013
I bought a matched pair of 3TB SeaGate Barracuda drives to go with this and thus far have not been disappointed. I am using it on a gigabit wired home network and have been able to stream to the Smart TV, the XBOX 360 and copy files onto it concurrently without it affecting the playback on either device. Note that I have configured my drives in Raid 0 so to get the full benefit of the distributed read / write functionality though and haven't tried a different disc configuration.

The FTP Server seems to be working just fine as well allowing me to transfer to and from the device whilst at other locations.

All in all, for the price of the enclosure and the drives and certainly what seems to be a considerably lower power consumption than leaving my PC switched on to share the files, I am very pleased with price, performance and ease of use.
on 6 April 2014
It is a very nice looking Nas and operates silently sometimes I even forget I have it.

I can say it is an awful pain to set up and dont even bother with ftp as its a farce to get working.

Dlink provides a free ddns account with every product so use that to access your files from outside the office/house.

Use it with a powerline adapter and a tp link unmanaged netowrk switch and I've had no problems with it.

Will be looking to get a second for the parents so I can have an offsite backup and vice versa.

If anyone who isn't up to par with home networking wants a NAS I would suggest and synology box as they are very user friendly
on 11 February 2014
I couldn't get this to work. I don't say there was anything wrong with it, it was the software wasn't up to the job. The third party backup software didn't work either. I returned the item and Amazon refunded my money. Many thanks, Amazon. I then purchased a Synology DS214se, plugged it in and away it went.
The blurb suggests that this is an easy to setup NAS drive which you will have up and running in minutes. Nothing further from the truth. The reality is that you need to be seriously up to speed with networking and IT to come even close. The manual is 133 pages long - and you have to read all of it. There is no simple plug and play options here. You need to know every acronym invented and have available a lot of information regarding your network, email and provider. I've just managed after a whole day to get my computer to see the drives. The other computers in the house don't and I cannot find any information that lets me know how to achieve this. Yes, I can add users - but that's not much use if their computers can't see the drives. Quite honestly I'm stumped. The D-Link blurb says easy, but the reality is the reverse.

I set up a Buffalo drive a while back in my work place and it took about 20 minutes. Right now I can't see any way that I might achieve this at all. In fact truth be told I'll probably take the hard drives back out and buy another NAS that actually is easy to set up. This one is a monster.

The shame of it is, the actual hardware is high quality and putting the drives in is simplicity itself. What lets this down is the simple fact that it's not a consumer product - it's a product for those who are IT pros not those who are setting up a home network drive.

Overall, of zero use.
on 2 February 2014
I give this an average rating. The build quality is average and so is the interface. Qnap NAS drives are way better and much more user friendly to use.
on 28 February 2015
Works as expected and installed with no problems and is still working fine
on 2 August 2014