on 20 August 2011
First of all, I completely agree with the previous review, regards lack of half-decent manual. Many times I found myself referring back to the web to get instructions, hints and general game info. There's an Anno Wiki but why should we have to go there? The in-game tutorials are OK but you miss out on some of the more finer detail - often vital to the game.

Aside from that, the game is huge & varied. Graphics are great and I love it. I was a big fan of Age of Empires III and regarded that as one of the ultimate God-sim type games. I think this is better - it requires more effort and is definatley more focussed on world building than war/fighting.

Great price on Amazon, I'll be looking forward to the Anno 2070 release.
This is a very time consuming game whcih I found very enjoyable. If you like settlers you should like this. The campaign offers many hours of fun and the sandbox mode is great where you can just build a rolling empire. Still good and an absolute bargain these days.

I'm glad Ubisoft haven't just done a hit and run and continue to release patches and expansions for what is an excellent game! Patch 1.2 now available and as mentioned in my Anno 1404 review patch 1.1 removed the drm and need for disc in drive. Though the expansion re-adds the drm.

Played this and enjoyed? Take a look at the new Anno 2070, very good and a great development fo the series.
on 4 December 2013
Providing you like real time strategy games which involves building and increasing populations then this is brilliant. I have to say that I prefer building rather than fighting and I would love to use all the graphics available but my laptop won't cope. It's a game of islands that you navigate, either unexplored or explored, with a ship or more, colonising and ultimately building your island(s) into mini fortresses with a fleet of ships, trading partners, or not, and the odd pirate about to spoil things. Generally, building up the population on your islands can make or break you if you get the timing wrong and it depletes your money but once you get the hang of it and your nobles and envoys etc start moving in you can build the ultimate building - Cathedral or Mosque. You can set your own winning parameters and it can be as easy or as hard as you like and there are many 'set up' alternatives you can use. Visually good and many game hours of playing.
on 31 December 2011
I am a huge fan of games like age of empires and black and white, and now anno too!

I decided to purchase this game after becoming addicted to the ds version of the game, and it is a decision I do not regret, I have played alot of the campains in this game more than once now and have just purchased the venice expansion pack.

Unlike age of empires (and like black and white) you need to think alot with this game, especially as you get to the trickier campain games.

Really good game, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed age of empires and/or black and white.
on 7 September 2011
Great game, hours of enjoyment. lots of themes, scenarios and campaigns to play.Easy to get started, everyone in the family from 12 to 40 are enjoying this game. I Recommend this game! Delivery of the product was on time.
on 25 July 2012
This game I had a few doubts about because some reviews said that it's hard to get into and doesn't have any hints. Well, I thought "I have the whole of the holidays, how bad can it be?" And I tell you what, using a little brain power is all I needed to figure out all the controls and stuff in about 3-4 days. It really wasn't hard to get into it once you gat the hang of it. What I did was I played a continuous game first on really easy settings and I built a major city! That felt good. Then I started the campaign. In a way it was disappointing because:
1. -It was short
2. -It was easy
In a scenario where you have to fight the enemy and they come to attack you and you have to defend yourself, well, you don't really have to because if you do, they just keep coming to your island. The minute they start invading your civilian buildings (not military) then you have to go and get help from an outside source who later comes and rescues you from the island taking you away from danger. So whatever you do, you win. You know? Even though you suck at fighting, you still have a second chance that saves you every time. Like the last episode you have to build a cathedral and you actually have a time limit! The first challenging thing in this game, I thought. But no. Other parties live on the map and they offer help that extends that time limit and give you master builders and all that crap! So whatever you do, there is still a second chance, you always win! Yeah. Sorry about rambling on.
The graphics are great, the whole idea is great and once you really get the hang of it, you can create any continuous game you want, which makes it more fun and interesting.
Thank you for reading this rather long piece of writing.
on 21 June 2011
This has the potential to be a great game - if only there were a decent instruction manual! There are a few in-game hints, but not enough for new players. They should have used the example of other UbiSoft games, such as Prince of Persia, to provide at least some idea of how to do things. Several times I've closed down the game in frustration, but been drawn back to try again. As a gamer of some experience, I refuse to be beaten, but boy! this game makes it hard to be super-enthusiastic about it.
on 14 September 2011
This is a fantastic game. There is always something to do in this game. Something will always require your attention, such as the management of those trade links. This is not one of those simple strategy games -age of empires- where saturation of the three commodities is easily reached and the technology tree limited.

Also, for graphics fans, this game is incredibly beautiful. My only ask is if you could zoom-in closer to the people, as in Stronghold 2. I have a 1gb graphics card -but not the most focused gaming rig- and manage to play this on the higher settings.
on 23 October 2015
This is my replacement of Civilisation IV since Microsoft "upgraded" their security. I'm old and therefore slow and incredibly stupid on occasion,fortunatly there is a lot of help on the net.The game has many parts all interrelated, in my view,a worthy replacement for Civ IV.
on 9 July 2012
One word for this game... Fantastic. My wife can't get enough of it (greatful i still get sum attention 'sometimes'). For some free time to yourself? get this for the Mrs, keep em busy.