A great mind for humour because I just could believe site at sea so funny. Read this book with tongue in cheek.
on 18 June 2017
One of the funniest stories I have read.
on 31 October 2009
Ignore Victors review,obviously AB's had a different life to cadets. I was also a deck cadet through the 70's ,with a totally different company and route,but it brought back so many memories that it could have been a diary of my first trip.A fantastic tale, well written and extremely funny, (Oh to be 17 again!) I couldn't put it down and went straight out to buy the sequel,
You know, I'm fine with wandering around the Hindu Kush with Eric Newby, or trekking the Sahara or running the Amazon. But at some point you've had enough sherpas, camels and man-eating fish. That's where this rollicking High Seas adventure tale from David Baboulene comes in. Let's join the merchant marine and see the world in the company of a vivid, funny, stylish and good humored travel adventurer.

Lots of people can tell a good story, especially over a few beers in a snug spot. But, to write a lively and engaging tale, to capture the humor and energy of an episode on the written page - that is a rare talent.

On top of all that, because this isn't just a collection of adventures and tall tales, you actually get a feel for what day to day life in the merchant marine is like. Romantic and tedious, this accounting is interesting stuff for the armchair traveler.

Bottom line - our author had real adventures, he understood what he was seeing and doing, he can recast his observations as great stories, and he has a puckish and witty sense of humor. How's that for a fine combination?

(Please note that I found this book a while ago while browsing Amazon Kindle freebies. I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.)
on 30 July 2007
Really amusing and highly entertaining - you can't help but love Windy as he takes you through the highs and lows of his sea-faring journey. Was so funny, I couldn't put it down.
on 17 February 2016
This writer may have a sense of humour but his gross exaggeration and emphasis on drinking and 'wenching' is way beyond believable. As an Apprentice he never seems to have to work in Port on Cargo watch. Only ever off ashore on another unbelievable adventure. Where does all his money come from? I was at sea as an Deck Apprentice at the same time as Mr Baloulene and got £4 10s a month! I had to force myself to finish the book as it really is pretty pathetic, lots of adult adventures but no sign of growing up.
on 13 May 2010
Light hearted reminiscences of a late 70's first trip deck cadet with the B*nk Line - a real good laugh - well worth the purchase. And all the youngsters that have been gifted a copy/ or read it have enjoyed it too. Been there and done that, but as a Engr Cadet. Can't understand the misery guts/humour by-passes doing the earlier poor reviews ...... liner steam queens???? Suppose like life onboard, there is always one :-(

Back to 16
VINE VOICEon 12 October 2010
I had to put this book down on numerous occasions to wipe my eyes because I was laughing so much!

Windy became a Deck Cadet 6 months after I did (I was one of the early girls to take this path) and that's what drew me to the book (though I was on tankers). Certainly if you share any of his experiences, if you've ever been to sea in any capacity, I feel sure you will greatly enjoy this book. But I truly think you don't *need* to have. There was nothing technical in the book in terms of understanding it - I think it would be an hilarious read for anyone the remotest bit interested in matters nautical.

Still, for me it was also a journey of reminiscence. We even went to the same Marine College! I became grateful I'm female as that clearly spared me from one or two nightmares!! (Although crossing the line was no more fun, other than being allowed to retain rather more clothing....). Still, it was a pleasure to read of someone else who was as naive as I was for falling for all the old sailors' tricks. And I, too, benefitted from the Aussie strike culture of the late 70s and spent many, many happy weeks in and around Sydney. :-)

A lovely read - can't wait to read his other book. Highly recommended.
on 25 March 2009
I bought this book with no preconceptions, other than the author is local to me, and has his car fixed by my partner's son in a local garage!
Well, what a pleasant surprise. It's well written, and a real page turner.
If I had a very slight criticism, it would be that I would have liked more detail, but it's quite possible that there was more and it was edited out by an overzealous editor.
It's still a very funny book, and in some ways a real snapshot of a time that is long gone. It has moments of poignancy, as well as some real belly laughs.
Well done David, and I hope we might meet up someday - and I'm looking forward to the next book!
on 1 January 2013
An excellently written, fast-paced and humourous look at a way of life that has now disappeared, what with containerisation and ship turnaround times counted in hours rather than days!
Thoroughly recommended.