Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.59

on 18 November 2013
The point to this piece of literary art is two-fold; first, Irve tells us how he was able to listen to, and help, an old friend whom he knew so very well. It is reinforced in Counselling training that we cannot 'help' a friend because we know too much about them, thereby creating a dual relationship.

Irve explains that it can be done, and it depends on the relationship of the two people involved.

Secondly, we are given a gift of seeing an intense, possibly one-off, and very impromptu, session, in very unorthodox surroundings. Irve again shows that it can be done.

Maybe it is because I have experienced this myself, that I understand it. This short book is a work of art, and a fine tribute to Irve's dear friend.
on 7 September 2014
Joseph Campbell once commented that the world was changing too quickly to allow us to generate new and meaningful myths, and that perhaps the Star Wars story came closest to what was essential for understanding our place in the universe. I am a fan of Campbell but think that Yalom may prove him wrong in this. In this short story and in Love's Executioner Yalom excavates a multi layered reality and uses that to build stories as rich as any mythic understanding which our comi-tragic existence throws up.
on 17 September 2013
This was frankly a disappointment. Dr Yalom found no new voice in this, no new perspective. I suppose it is a credit to his other work, fiction and reference, that he has covered so much ground in a thoroughly accessible style that this work is simply redundant.
on 18 April 2013
I have read all of Yalom's novels and some of his text books. I have enjoyed his novels enormously and have recommended them highly to friends and colleagues. This one didn't 'do it' for me which may be as a result of having seen an interview with him where he spoke of the novel so it felt somewhat 'old ground' and 'repetitious'.
on 7 February 2014
An account of a conversation with an old Jewish friend still suffering from his experiences during the war. I don't know whether this was supposed to be a story or a case study, but I didn't find it worked as either, and gave up half way through. Loves Executioner and other books are so good, it was a real disappointment.
on 5 January 2014
excellent book and easy to understand the subject and can help self or others. great value for money. i would recommend this book for reading .
on 25 February 2014
Yalom as ever congruent to the enth degree, sharing his humanity along with his insight to us all to grow in self awareness and courage
on 3 July 2014
It had all the quality that I expect from Yalom's writing. I'm just sorry it was a short story and not a book.
on 22 September 2015
Fast delivery, as described, thank you :)
on 7 December 2014
Just a very short story and nothing else