TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 September 2010
This series has had very mixed reviews and I'm afraid I'm in the 'no' camp. The idea of a grown-up Buffy appealed but I found Anita to be irritatingly jaunty with her supposed wise-cracking and yet at the same time almost impossible to pin down as a character - but not in a complex and interesting way, just as a not very well-thought out personality.

The plot flounders around, the pacing seems a bit haphazard and the sex is very, very gratuitous (e.g. the 'freak' party, like a wife-swapping party for vampire lovers which goes on and on for chapters but doesn't add anything to the plot). I liked the idea of Jean-Claude, the sexy vampire master, however typical he might be, but then he spends most of his time locked away in a coffin.

Hamilton's style of writing will probably either appeal or irritate - and I'm in the latter group: it's very staccato. Full of short sentences. Hardly any clauses. And boring to read.

I love Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books and there are many, many similarities in the two fictional worlds (vampires 'out', sexy master vampire who owns a bar/club, were animals, vamps 'marking' their humans and bonding with them etc.) but the atmosphere and tone are quite different. Harris will never win a prize for the quality of her prose style but she does succeed where, in my view, Hamilton doesn't and that's in creating a world which we feel we can inhabit with real characters for whom we come to care and who change over the series. Perhaps Hamilton's characters do develop later but after slogging my way through this book I'm afraid I won't be giving her another chance to persuade me.

Overall, very, very disappointing.
on 29 April 2015
I chose this rating because the book was very well written has a very good story line and keeps your attention all the way through the book .you do not know what is going to happen next there is, nothing I do not like about this book I .think the writer is extremely clever to keep the story going with intrigue violence and still put some romance in to it as just takes the edge of all the suspense
on 6 March 2017
I've read the series before so this is a re-read
This is a great series I would recommend to anyone
on 16 May 2017
Brilliant....
on 16 August 2017
Love love it to bits
on 5 April 2005
Like any person i started my love of vampire fiction with Anne Rice's absolutely delishous Vampire Chronicles. She was and is still the Queen of that Genre and i never would have thought that another author could match her. Laurell K Hamilton has to be called a co-ruler, at the least. She is as good as Anne Rice. Dont believe me? Then read Guilty Pleasures and you'll see. As I cannot yet speak for the whole series yet, having just finished Guilty Pleasures I cannot compare the whole of the series with the Vampire Chronicles. But Guilty Pleasures can hold its own against any one of the chronicles including the enigmatic Interview with the Vampire and the seductively brilliant Vampire Armand.
Now so much for the introduction, Guilty Pleasures is one of the best books I have ever read not many books can leave you emotionally drained like this. The only other books that have ever done this to me are: Mercedes Lackey's The Last Herald Mage Trilogy and Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire. The begginning of the book is brilliant and a few pages in when you see the words 'Welcome to Guilty Pleasures' 'The only Vampire Strip Club', you have to be hooked, the entire concept of Vampires stripping made me laugh for ages, but in a most delighted way. And upon the first mention of his name and manner 'Jean-Claude' the master vampire will have you completely and utterly enthralled. I have never read a book with a character so intensely seductive that you have fallen in love with him before even reaching the end of his description. And his devotion to Anita Blake is beautiful and obvious, I am not strong like Anita I would have yielded within moments, gods. And speaking of Anita the heroine and main character, who's view point is taken throughout the book, she in her own way is as delighful, her narative does not enthrall you in the same way as Louis's in Interview with the Vampire, but it captures you completely because of the sarcastic humour and honesty. a girl who throws the odd quote in from doctor seuss or from the wizard of oz is truly entertaining. By the end of it i was emotionally drained, because of the love and fear that she felt. Her books and Anne Rice's to me are not horror but are the struggles of one person or more trying to succeed in whatever they choose to do and to be happy. And if killing Vampires makes Anita happy who are we to argue...
on 27 November 2016
This book is never going to be considered a masterpiece, or be considered a classic work of literature, but I found it a very enjoyable read. As a fan of mythology and the paranormal, I’m always interested by books about vampires, and in this case the vampires are characters in their own right with enough ambiguity about them to make it tough to say they are all evil and should be killed.

That’s the problem Anita has, she doesn’t really like vampires but the more she deals with them the more she realises that in many ways they’re as human as anyone else – not necessarily good but not necessarily evil either.

What really makes this book enjoyable is the character of Anita Blake; she’s small, has a bit of an attitude problem, and won’t back away from a fight – I like her.
on 8 November 2013
2.5
I realise that this is a really popular series and I'll admit the second half of this book was better put together than the first, suggesting that the latter books might be better than this first one. But I spent that first half of this book completely lost and wondering what exactly was going on. I came back here to the interet three times to verify I was actually reading the first book in the series, because there were so many references to past events and people she knew kept popping up unexpectedly.

The book also kept leaping from place to place, activity to activity, etc. It was hard to keep up with. Further, it felt very much like Anita kept putting herself at pointless risks. Should I be surprised that she was attacked by vampires when she's hanging out at the vampire bar? I mean, she's not known to be on good terms with any of them.

Being as the book felt like it picked up in the middle of something it also felt like the Anita's character development must have been left somewhere in that missing first half. She felt incredibly flat to me. Yes, she was pleasantly sarcastic and I enjoyed that, but the book ended and I didn't feel like I had gotten to know her at all.

I'm also baffled by the fact that this is considered a PNR by many. It's certainly what I went in expecting. From reading reviews I see that quite a lot of sex must come in at some point in the very lengthy series, but this book is bone dry in the romance department. There is a person who, if the standard PNR trope holds true, will likely become a romantic interest at some future point, but there is no spark here. None. Nada. Nothing.

Needless to say I'm disappointed.
on 30 April 2013
I want to start by say that this is a review (warning) for the series as a whole and not just Guilty Pleasures. I feel a little pissed with the Anita Blake series, partly because the first several novels are really good and enjoyable, with good plot lines and likable characters. After roughly the first seven books though, the series turns into more cheap paranormal erotica, with Anita, completely changing character and (spoiler) sleeping with about half a dozen men at the same time in every damn book.

Now don't think that i am prejudice against a bit of romance/erotica in a book, because i am not, i even quite enjoy it, but this is taking it to ridiculous levels, and it is not just that she is sleeping with everything that walks and has thing dangling between their legs, it is Anita's attitude about it also.

So to sum it up, the first few books are good, read them, enjoy them, but beware, because if you don't like leaving a series half finished i would stay away from these books unless you are more interested in erotic fiction and cliche love triangles.
on 15 April 2013
The first book in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, series introduces the reader to the first-person perspective of the title character - a fairly ordinary young woman with a slightly unusual job - as she's hired by an unlikely client to solve a string of murders.

Its an interesting world that Hamilton has created, in which the paranormal is just normal and accepted as part of society, which serves in part as a metaphor for discrimination. Mostly though it's a bit of a romp, though without the campness that some vampire-themed series evoke.

The plot is complex enough to stay interesting while really not doing very much. As a mystery story it's not really got the weight that I like and the investigation seems to be pushed more by the various supporting characters than the investigator. As a paranormal romance - which it clearly claims not to be - I think it would be quite acceptable. There's enough kissing and romance-related commentary from Anita that this aspect over dominates the narrative and weakens the overall effect, though it doesn't go anywhere near the extremes of some more recent vamp-romance novels.

While it certainly wasn't a bad book, I don't think that I'm the target audience and I'm not enthused by it enough to immediately consider buying the sequels.