Format: DVD-ROM|Change
Price:£69.99+ £3.89 shipping

Format: DVD-ROM|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Toast is a user friendly programme that gives you near complete control to rip (copy content off a DVD), convert and burn (create a DVD) media across different formats and to manage that process with relatively little technical knowledge while achieving professional results.

There are free media programmes available on the internet for Mac, notably 'Handbrake', but these are much weaker in comparison with Toast and require additional software, technical knowledge, and time to create similar results.

For example, while 'Handbrake' will allow you to rip most DVDs into a digital format, suitable for your computer or iPhone etc, it is not able to burn content onto a new DVD; for that you would need a seperate programme whereas Toast can author DVDs as well as rip them.

To get the most out of Toast you need to be someone who has an amateur or professional interest in making movies; e.g. making easily playable DVDs of your children for grandparents to play at home without the need of a computer, wedding and other event videos, or for people making corporate films etc. If it's just digital back up (i.e. DVD ripping) that you are after, then Toast is an expensive, if easy and effective, solution.

In conclusion, Toast is probably the biggest and most well developed name in third party media authoring for the Mac and this is reflected in the price tag; it isn't the cheapest solution, though it is probably the best.
on 22 October 2014
HI YEAH DONT PURCHASE THIS IF you have upgraded to OS X yosemite it freezes at 36% of burning bluray and I've contacted roxio and they say its not been tested with yopsemite yet same with version TOAST 12 latest version...
on 15 May 2013
I bought this specifically to burn BluRays (of original, not pirated material)

The product description says this:

Burn

Toast 11 is the easiest and fastest way to burn your music, video, photo and data files on to CD, DVD or Blu-ray Disc.
Span large projects across multiple discs.
Archive up to 50 GB on high capacity Blu-ray Discs.
New: Burn or copy discs using multiple drivers at the same time
Improved: Back up an entire camera of HD video to disc in one click

BUT BEWARE: In order to burn HD or BluRay, you need to purchase an additional plugin which is £15 GBP. This should be stated clearly in the description and I will be complaining to Roxio about this.

Amazon service and delivery was exceptional as usual, hence the 3 stars.
I've been using the new Roxio 11 for more than a month now. I only use two of the softwares, Toast and Spin Doctor for digitizing cassette tapes. The others, like in the past, won't be used.

The good news is using OSX10.6.8, Toast and Spin Doctor works without fail.

Toast advertises that it can copy "unprotected" dvd's without a problem. Unless I'm mistaken, I tested this on two (2) different commercial dvd's that I have.

On the documentary, "The F* Bomb, there are several interviews that was profound. (I got tired of the documentary about halfway through but in the deleted scenes section I was struck by some commentaries by ICE T and Tera Patrick. ) What was interesting was that the Toast allows you to see a thumbnail of the "video_TS" files. So, I was able to distinguish the ones I'd like to have. Extracting them was as simple as selecting them and placing them in the burn file.

This new Toast gives you the ability to burn or to convert that dvd-quality file into 720p, to mp4 to mov to iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch as well as a "Blackberry" and Android configurations and about 15 others. I converted those files in HD, for the iPhone, Blackberry and Android--both for the EVO and The EVO 3D. Each conversion appeared in full resolution on each of those screens.

Next, I pulled out a dvd of Turning Point 2007. I only bought it because it was the first meeting between Gail Kim and Awesome Kong (what an exciting match!) This dvd was one long file. In Toast, I opened the time line and set the parameters just for that match. Toast copied that match down to the second and gave me similar options for it's conversion. Toast converted that 17-minute match in about 5 minutes or so. And, it looks great on my monitor.

Spin Doctor--One of my aunts gave a speech on Father's Day at her place of worship and wanted me to make copies. I decided to make things a little difficult. I transferred the audio on to a cassette tape. Then, I hooked the tape deck into the laptop's audio in slot and engaged SD.

Roxio has done a tremendous job of creating a modern user interface. SD's beautiful black and silver trim box is a visual treat in minimalist design. The sidebar asks what source to record from and the header gives you a choice recording settings. There's also a retro L/R meters in the center. After you capture the recording, you can elect to see the visual wave form. This recording can be saved in a number of different audio format like Wave, AAC, Apple Lossless and mp3. (The one thing I remember from a few years ago is that longer length audio files in SD sometimes would not save, much less be editable.) The 45-minute audio was captured and saved without issue.

Pro's
+ Toast looks to be a lot more stable than previous versions.
+ Toast gives you multiple options for burning or converting.
+ Beautiful interface.
+ Still reasonable when considering it's still an all-in-one suite.

Con's
- The software is essentially good for only 2 years from the date the company releases it. (Roxio should adopt the same business idea VMWare Fusion adopted--encourage registered customers to upgrade by offering an obscenely low price to upgrade to the newest version.)
- The warranty period should be at least 1 year from date of purchase.

4.5 stars.
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Format: DVD-ROM|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I don't have a Mac, but I know someone who does. And when I tried it out I was surprised by its fast abilities and multiple extra features. And not just for converting HD video (which is mostly what I did), but it's also a great package for processing and capturing sound files. If you want to have a formidable media centre on your Mac then Toast 11 is THE package to get. You're unlikely to get a better product, with as many features, for a better price.
on 6 May 2013
I’m a bit disappointed, many features advertised are demo and you have to pay extra. Video encoding doesn’t work to well (jaggy video), although I’ve tried with different media. Tried recording some few blu-ray discs (tried two external drives – Plextor and an LG drive), and data wasn’t always accessible.
If you want to record a lightscribe CD, you have to upgrade the software that came with it, because it doesn’t let you add your own pictures.
CD and DVD recording with data, goes well without issues.
on 22 November 2012
Bought it to transfer Final Cut Pro projects to DVD. This it did with no hitches or glitches. The only downside was the lack of control over menus and how they display chapters
VINE VOICEon 26 May 2011
Format: DVD-ROM|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Toast installed easily but required 1Gb. That wasn't a problem but it did leave me wondering what it all did. A quick glance showed me that I'd got Toast, DiscCatalogMaker, Disc Cover 3, Get Backup 2, Mac2Tivo, Tivo Transfer and Spin Doctor. Phew!

Firing up Toast to burn some data DVDs I was impressed with the wizard approach and quickly had my discs burnt in short order. As a disc completes you have the option to verify - or you can cancel - and this worked well. So far so good. Toast doesn't just burn, however. It will translate audio and video, publish videos to YouTube and Facebook (after converting them to an appropriate format), making Toast an application that starts to look appealing as a media file manager.

Next: Making a DVD. Drop a video file in, set the start and end points (so you can clip out any extra lead-in or lead-out frame by frame), set chapter marks. Then repeat for each of the other video files you add. Then edit the DVD menu... and burn. Or save as a DVD image. This is looking good. Toast also supports creating BluRay discs.

As I made discs in Toast, and saved them, they were automatically added to a list in DiscCatalogMaker. This is a killer feature for me - I burn the same photo CDs over and over again and if I save the disc the first time I not only don't have to create it again, I don't have to search for it either. Genius!

Disc Cover 3 is where you create your disc label and packaging inserts. Select the tracks/videos you've added to your disc and their information is automatically made available for printing on the disc and/or insert. If you have a LightScribe enabled drive, this is also catered for. Unfortunately many of the options in this product are only available once you've paid for an upgrade, but what is enabled makes it worthwhile.

Spin Doctor allows you to intercept and record audio streams on your computer. I tried a few tests and yes, I can record audio from BBC iPlayer, YouTube and Skype - as well as internally generated audio, line in and microphone. Very handy!

I've not had a chance to play with the rest: Get Backup 2 looks like a capable backup and synchronisation application but I use Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner and ChronoSync for my backups and synchronisation. Having no Tivo I've not looked at Mac2Tivo or Tivo Transfer.

It's a big package with some killer features. It'll take you time to find them all, but my experience so far tells me that I'm going to value this piece of software.
on 3 June 2013
Earlier versions of Toast have been a joy to use. This version has not transferred well to Mac 10.6. The additional packages like spin doctor simply do not work and cause my normally indestructible Mac Book Pro to crash. A lot of money for a basic disc burner that hypes much but does not deliver on 10.6. I have not tried it on an earlier operating system.
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2012
Format: DVD-ROM|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you find yourself needing to move media around your Apple products in a way that is not possible using Apple's propriety software, and convert old format products/media/programmes than this is the right software for you!
It has features such as being able to record LP's (we all have some somewhere in the attic!) and as lone as you have the leads necessary to connect the player to the Mac etc than it rips and converts the music to whatever format you choose to burn it in; It has a rather good auto-track listing gadget now too, which saves typing all those names manually into the right boxes though this does give some occasionally hysterical results.
It has a much better user interface than Toast 10, making it much more intuitive to use, and also has a rather good way of burning images to disc, making home slideshows to send to relatives...or businesses... much more streamlined and attractive.
It does need a reasonably recent mac to utilise its full potential, though I have tried successfully to use it on a lower spec machine, however it does take an awful lot longer and occasionally stutters when doing complex tasks.
iPad and iPhone connectivity is a much welcomed feature, as is its features that work with the big three gaming consoles; X Box, WII, Playstation 3 as well as PSP.
It does work with Blackberry devices, though I haven't tried to use this as I am not a Blackberry user.
Finally if you need to do work with HD content its worth noting that you might have to purchase a separate 'Plug in' to work with Blu-Ray and High-Def content.
It comes with a 2 year warranty, including support which makes it even more attractive, and something that I have already used!
In conclusion its a great update to an already good product; just beware that you do need to work with the software for a bit to utilise its full potential!