Size: 43 mm|Change

on 2 April 2012
I bought the 46mm Polaroid filter kit for a Panasonic G3 camera, but without high expectations since the kit was so cheap. I ran an (unscientific) test on the UV filter by taking identical RAW images under identical conditions using the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 lens. I used a tripod and the 2 second timer function so that no camera shake would affect the images. The filters are a good fit for that lens and they are easy to attach and remove.
I then printed the RAW images directly from Silkypix at A4 size on a Canon Pixma 9000 II inkjet printer and could see no difference in the printed outputs. I cropped into the images by a factor of about 5 times and printed the resulting crops - again no difference is discernible in an A4 sized print. It appears that, at least at those print sizes, the UV filter can be regarded as pretty much neutral. As a protector for a lens costing about £250 the filter, which effectively cost less than £5,is good value for money.
on 17 August 2011
Needed filters to protect lenses of the new DSLR and this kit looked like a good place to start at the price. UV filter seems OK, but the CPL is virtually unusable, since the image focus is degraded so much. Tried it on both manual and automatic focus - same problem. It looks like it might be an issue as to whether the filter is square in the mount, because the image degradation is even worse if the filter is rotated (this test done indoors on the edge of a wooden door, where no polarisation effect should be present). Will use the UV filter, but need a better CPL.

Update: Pointed out the problem to the supplier (Smart Shop UK) and queried whether this was a one-off problem with a bad CPL. To their credit, they immediately despatched another set, arived the day after by courier, but sadly not much better. Conclusion, this is a cheap filter and the QC is obviously not great. You might be lucky!
Caution: the CPL in this set does nothing whatsoever - no matter how it is rotated. I'm not the only reviewer to say this either. Also, I've owned several working CPLs before this Polaroid one. In other words, if you're looking for a polariser which works - the one in this set is next to useless.

UPDATE: If you need a CPL you really should consider buying this one instead, as I now know it to work just as a good CPL should:Hoya 46 mm Slim PL-CIR Filter

I will test others for my wife's 46mm lens, and edit this review when I've discovered one which simply works well, as a polariser (and any that I've owned previously!) should. For anyone who isn't aware, a true CPL filter should, when rotated, clearly darken skies and very noticeably bring out deep blues in the sea, skies etc. All that I've used previously did just that. Meanwhile...

Beware!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2011
I read the reviews, they were mixed.I have used the polarised filter, it is excellent. I would highly recommend them...
on 31 March 2016
Nicely made and packed in their own case. Use the UV filter as my standard always on protector for my 24-70mm f2.8 Sigma lens with no noticeable impact on quality. CPL worked well on a landscape shoot by toning down the contrast in the sky. Not tried the FLD yet.
on 2 January 2016
The UV filter does not have an anti-reflection coating which makes it pretty much unusable in any situation with strong light sources, particularly at night. It's worth spending a bit extra in my opinion. If you just want a bit of sacrificial glass then it'll work fine.
VINE VOICEon 8 June 2014
In terms of quality this cannot be measured against more expensive filters.
Using these on a average to good telephoto lens will yield results, but not top quality results.
However, as a good standby set that works well in most conditions, where clarity is not 100% important, I'd say go for it.
At this price you'd be hard pressed to get as good a Polarising Filter, let alone a good FLD filter.
The Polariser works well enough for most shots.
The FLD is quite good too.
The UV is a little too thick and fuzzy for my liking; but do check out the "Polaroid Ultra thin UV with Schott glass" on Amazon; keep this standard one as a spare to protect lens in emergency.
on 25 August 2015
i have bought several sets of these for my various lens sizes. great value useful carry case and do the job quite well, cant compare them to top end filters but then again look at the price of top end filters, i think this kit is good enough for anyone and had great results with them - -on saying that don't have a use for the FLD, but take it out the case and use the space for my cleaning cloth and wet wipes

cant complain not at this price
on 24 April 2015
Bought the set primarily for the UV filter which I can't use because it creates reflections. I don't get any reflections with the Hoya UV filter I use with a different, lesser quality lens so I can only assume it's because of the difference in the filter coating. I have found no use for the FLD filter as yet so I have no comment on that but the CPL filter doesn't seem to do anything or the effect is so subtle as to be negligible. Interesting the mix of reviews here so maybe I'm not making best use of them but so far they haven't proven useful at all. They come in a very handy pouch which might prove useful, maybe for a different set of filters.
on 5 December 2015
The filters are of a good quality, not the best but you get what you pay for. Have been using the UV filter on my camera for over a year now with occasional venture into the CPL territory and can't fault them really. The only downside is that the CPL makes my photos a little bit softer but this is only noticeable when looked at on a big computer screen, prints are very clear and lovely colour without having to spend hours adjusting them.
Just ordered a second set for a friend but it came with a defect in the CPL filter so will have to have it replaced. The process is smooth as usual with Amazon so no problems here either.