Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 9 September 2015
I bought this DVD for the Oil Company films which were shown as BBC 2 trade test transmissions in the 1960's. A real nostalgia fest. I am particularly fond of 'The Home Made Car'. The main film (Lunch Hour) is quirky but well worth a watch with the lovely Shirley Anne Field in the title role.
on 30 August 2015
As previous reviewers have noted, buy this for the Trade Test Colour films NOT for the main feature. Worth it for 'Giuseppina' and 'The Home Made Car' alone which have been excellently remastered and as fresh as their initial releases.
on 17 August 2011
What we have here are one short (63min) movie and 3 short films made by BP back when they could still sell the myth of a benevolent big cuddly company. All features directed by James Hill.
Lunch Hour, the main attraction, seemed like a spoof to me - imagine Harry Enfield doing an awfully English Last Tango in Paris - all bad teeth, cups of tea, irritating landladies and absolutely no sex. The only use for butter here would be on a stale scone. It's OK with some funny moments. the dragon waitress being my favourite ('halibuts off') but I was grateful it wasn't longer which tells you something. The shorts are all in vivid colour and look amazing. The Home Made Car is the best - engaging whimsy that stays just the right side of sickly - an enjoyable half hour. Skyhook is an educational type of mini doc which shows BP setting up a drilling op in Papua New Guinea. Shots of terrified animals fleeing as trees are felled and land blasted are presented as humorous - how times have changed. The third, the Italian set Giuseppina, apparently won an Oscar, I found it pretty disposible but what do I know. As usual the booklet is attractive and the overall package, although probably more 3.5 than 4 stars, is definitely worth picking up.
on 3 December 2014
The full version of this award winning short film, The Home Made Car, used to be available on YT, but has been removed.
To be honest, this review is mainly about the The Home Made Car, which is included as an extra along with two more short films from the sixties called Giuseppina and Skyhook. The short films were used as BBC Colour Test Transmissions back in the late 1960's and were all directed by James Hill. The Home Made Car was my favorite Trade Test film and its great to watch it again in all its glory on my HD TV... How times have changed.
James Hill was a very talented director and theses four films are all very different and very entertaining. All are well worth watching.
on 26 May 2016
I've just watched "Lunch Hour" on the Talking Pictures TV Channel. I really enjoyed it - quirky, as someone has said - and Shirley Anne Field never looked more desirable. I will certainly consider buying it.
on 7 October 2011
I have to admit I had never heard of this film. It was enjoyable as far as it went. It was really a tv play type item on film.I homed in on the 3 support items...... the 3 short films hill made for BP.Im old enough to remember them,especially the home made car, being used as trade test films.The presentation of the 3 items is first class,sharp images spot on colour and I enjoyed a good nostalgia wallow.Thanks again to the BFI for making these items available.If the BFI has the copyright to any more of these items they have at least one sale guaranteed along with a bluray of A TASTE OF HONEY please!!!!
on 25 January 2016
REALLY LIKED THE MAIN FEATURE - STORY GAVE A FEMINIST SLANT WELL AHEAD OF ITS TIME - BUT THE REAL HIGHLIGHT FOR ME IS 'THE HOME MADE CAR'. WATCHING IT, I WAS TEN YEARS OLD AGAIN, LOOKING OUT FOR IT BEING TRANSMITTED AGAIN. IT WAS A REAL PIECE OF ESCAPISM FOR ME AT THE TIME, LIVING IN BELFAST, AND I HANKERED AFTER THAT LEAFY ENGLISH SUBURB WITH ITS KINDLY NEIGHBOURS, AND THAT SMASHING CAR. BUT WHAT REALLY STUCK WITH ME DOWN THE YEARS WAS RON GRAINER'S CRACKING SCORE, SO CATCHY AND APT. WISH I COULD OBTAIN IT ON AUDIO. THANK-YOU, BFI, FOR RESTORING THE FILM AS LOVINGLY AS THE BULLNOSE MORRIS. AN ABSOLUTE CLASSICAL! ALSO ENJOYED WATCHING GUISEPPINA AGAIN.
on 4 June 2013
I bought this because of the 3 short films that support it. I watched these in the days when there were colour trade test transmissions on BBC TV. The one about the home made car was a particular favourite. For me it was worth the purchase price just to get that one.
I would have given the DVD 5 stars if the main feature was not this one. It is an icon I don't doubt and I can imagine being shown this in a general studies lesson at college and then having to write a critique of some kind. Not for me.
on 13 December 2012
Good to see the BBC2 trade test colour films The home made car and Guisepina again. A eal blast from the past.
on 30 March 2015
Starts off okay but then flies into imagined drama,which ruins the film.Buy it for the three excellent short films which were used by the BBC for colour test transmissions.