on 25 February 2013
It works and it's very handy so in practice I use it more than a big Panasonic camcorder. Points to mention:
There is no hood over the lens so any pictures/movies with the sun or bright sky in view means the view is smeared out by a wash of light over the lens. Lots of clips have been ruined this way. By putting your other hand over the lens to shade it, acceptable results are obtained. A short black tube glued over the lens would fix it. And yes, I do keep the lens clean.
The zoom function is purely digital so close ups are useless due to pixellation. With the viewfinder screen being so small one can't see this at the time. But - you get what you pay for - just remember not to use zoom.
Does hang up occasionally so one has to reset it. No big deal, but really shouldn't happen.
The 'share' software is intrusive. As soon as you plug the camera into a pc with the software loaded it wants to share it with facebook or whatever and it's irritating to have to shut down the programme each time. Of course - fine if you really do want to share, but this should be an opt-in function, not opt-out.
All in all, I like it.
on 3 March 2012
This is a great little camera. I wanted a video camera that anyone can use as I do agility with my dog and wanted to record our runs. I needed something I could hand over to anyone and this fits the bill perfectly as all they need to worry about is pressing the button in the middle. Image stabilisation makes sure you don't get a lot of shake in the picture and the HD gives a terrific picture. I also spotted that you could get a remote control for this camera so I had high hopes of being able to put it on a tripod and starting it myself - sadly the IR port is on the base right next to the fitting for the tripod so once you put the camera on a tripod the remote doesn't work - Duhhhhhh! It does work if you use a tiny Gorillapod as that has a slimmer tripod fixing or you can buy a screw adaptor for the top of the tripod. I am just speechless that a firm like Kodak would have a camera with such a silly design fault. Surely anyone wanting to use the remote control function would also want to use a tripod.
on 2 November 2012
I wasn't expecting an awful lot from this, due to its price point, but I was pleasantly surprised.
I needed a video camera quickly as I was going on holiday and had discovered that my old-fashioned tape video camera was pixelating badly and no amount of cleaning of tape heads would fix it.
So I bought this.
The video image can be set to full HD, or fake HD at a higher frame rate. The image is a very high quality in HD. Much better than you would expect from such a tiny plastic lens.
In still camera mode I found the colour cast was a long way adrift from reality, with still pictures at 5 megapixels - not brilliant by today's standards. Video colour was accurate however. Don't understand why that should be.
I found it very easy to use.
You will need a fast flash card inserted because it can halt your videoing in its tracks if it has to pause to write to flash. I had this happen only once though and is probably not the fault of the camera.
The USB charging instructions did not seem to match reality. I had to dangle the camera from a wall socket to charge it. Not too much of a problem though.
Overall far superior to old tape-based video cameras.
Recommended.
on 20 February 2013
I bought this as my sister purchased one and I was very impressed by the crispness of the video's she took on holiday. My filming usually consists of filming motorcycle touring rides and such like, not a great environment for a camera.

I have to say that the Kodak has excelled all my expectations, once mounted to the bike its just a case of switching it on and pressing record. The image stability, refresh rate and crispness were excellent. I still can't believe how rich and "deep" the films look. I ran a go pro for a while and this easily compares and indeed, excels it for colour depth and quality at a mere fraction of the price.

Off the bike its discreet and easy to use both to film video and take stills, although I tend to use a dedicated stills camera for that. I'm very happy with the product, the only niggle is the built in USB is a bit of a fiddle on my computer as it only has USB's in the rear. On a laptop it would not be a problem. Image downloading is very easy.
on 23 May 2013
I got mine for about £50 which is ridiculously cheap and have used it regularly for my YouTube Channel. I ride mountain bikes and that's pretty much all I have used this camera for, I basically set up shots with a tripod press record and do the section of trail. I have had some great results. I record in 1080p normally and 720p 60fps for any slow motion and edit using Windows Live Movie Maker simply upload it straight to YouTube and you get crystal clear HD, it really is fantastic. Quality lowers with light level but on a reasonable day it works a dream. You can't film a object/subject closer than a metre but I haven't had any issues with that. I recently upgraded to a GoPro Hero 2 which does photography too but I use them in conjunction to great effect. Here you can see a video I shot entirely on the Kodak Playful - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yZwj-EQTY
on 13 January 2012
This device is simply brilliant. I always carry it with me on trips and I also use it as a backup videocamera in case my state-of-the-art 60GB hard-drive unit goes on the fritz. It takes excellent HD videos and pretty decent still photos. It's practical, easy to use and a real bargain to boot. I recently used it in connection with a flexible "gorilla pod" and placed it on the car dashboard to film a road trip. Excellent results and zero hassle.
on 21 February 2012
This is a great little device. Its small, (smaller than my mobile phone) so is really convenient to carry about. It is dead easy to use and set up. Downloading your films and pictures on to your computer is really easy and the battery life isn't bad at all. Both picture and sound quality are good. I'm really pleased with mine, particularly for the money. On the downside, the view screen is quite small (smaller than my mobile phone). If all you want is something to be able to film the kids' school plays, holidays and birthday parties, then its fab. If you are looking for something to challenge Steven Spielberg, then I suggest you up your budget a bit.
on 21 June 2013
"Battery Life" is the wrong phrase since you use a cable to charge it but describes it well. Without being connected to the mains I only get 47 mins recording time. I had been fooled by the 'up to 10 hours recording time' claims into thinking it would record for that long before recharging but of course that just relates to the memory. Apart from that the picture is good and sound is fine. There is a cable to use it with the mains but it is really short (maybe 30cm?) so you'd need an extension cord which makes it far less compact and convenient than you might have thought.
on 2 January 2012
Great little camcorder, As a stills photographer i like to have a camcorder in bag just in case.
This works a treat, i disagree about the charging aspect as i read the reviews and purchased a external charger with spare battery for not a lot of cost, Problem solved very easily.
Camorder very easy to use point and shoot, Would prefer one without a still camera in it as no use to me.
on 23 January 2013
What a superb little camera. For the money it is outstanding. The image stabilization is very good.The picture quality is amazing. The video is crystal clear on an HD tv. It is the same size as a small mobile phone. all the cables you could possibly need come with it. Very easy to use very intuitive to use. LCD screen is very clear and easy to see. How do they do it for the money? I was about to spend £150 on a camera that really was no better than this. Buy it you will not be disappointed.