on 23 December 2015
Great item for holding my Mac air , and now I can use my Mac air closed ,hooked up to a monitor obviously !
Expensive for what it is but hey anything to do with my Mac hardware is expensive , looks the real deal though
review image
on 19 February 2015
Works great, allows you to use your Air in "Clamshell" mode with an external monitor.

Only slight issue is the hole at the back for organising the cables is tiny and only fit two of my cables.
on 16 September 2013
Really handsome stand. The anodised aluminium perfectly matches my MacBook and it looks great on my desk. The weighty construction is also much appreciated as it means lifting the laptop doesn't take the stand with it, especially considering the alternative flimsy, plastic Hengedock.

I had worried that running the MacBook in clamshell like this would cause over-heating, but that fear seems unfounded. Lengthy gaming sessions and video encoding have not caused any problems at all as fans in the hinge are left exposed. In fact, having the bottom of the shell exposed like this seems to improve ventilation and keep it cooler.

It loses a star, not because of the price (which I was happy to pay for a quality product) but because of the little hole that is meant to act as a cable tidy. Frankly they shouldn't have bothered. It's too small to get anything more than the power cable and display cord through, so USB leads, audio cables etc are left hanging loose. I have mine at right angles to my display so I just run cables underneath and through the legs, towards the back of my desk, and it looks fine. However, if I was to use it with the Apple logo facing me it would look far less tidy and cables would be all over the place.

Special praise goes to the box it came in. I had a look through some suggested uses for it in the leaflet, thinking it was all going to be a load of Blue Peter stuff, but they're absolutely right - it makes a great box for transporting chargers and cables, particularly because the padding stops them rattling about.

I'm overall pleased and will look out for Twelve South's other products.
on 27 February 2013
Awarded 3 stars because the rubber mount let's it down when seating or unseating my MBA, it needs to be a tighter fit so as not to come away when moving my MBA. I'd also like to see them better match the colour of Macs, which surely isn't too difficult to accomplish: it would look less like an add-on if it were a similar colour.

Quite pricey (when I bought it) too!
on 8 February 2012
Nice product with a sturdy and weighty feel and a smooth Apple-esque finish.

Nothing more to say about the product really- does what it says on the tin.

Only downside is, and this is me nit picking, the hole for the charger cable to run through could have been designed slightly better as when you remove the laptop from the stand the cable falls out. However this does not in any way affect the purpose of the product or the safety of your device.
on 31 October 2013
I use this to dock my Macbook Air 11 (it also works with the 13 inch) to my monitor and it works great!
It looks very sleek, with or without the Macbook docked.
The soft rubber means there is no risk of it slipping out or getting scratched.
Since the Air has ports on both sides, the Book Arc places a slight gap for cables in the middle. The problem is, when the macbook isn't in, the cables look messy since they are pulled out. On the Macbook Pro Book Arc, there is a nice slip on the bottom side for the cables which is neater, but obviously this isn't possible on this one. It is only a minor gripe, and my solution has to be have the cables come from the side of the desk held by a Bluelounge Sumo Desk Cable Management Accessory with Suction Pads for 2 Cables Desk Tidy in Black, and only use the right hand side ports of the air!
Like most Twelve South products, it is expensive but very well made and looks fantastic.
I have not seen a better solution for docking the Macbook.
on 28 March 2014
This is a sturdy and well made product, that saves a lot of desk space. I use it as a charging station for my MBA, but I would say that it would be a bit fiddly attaching all the relevant leads if you were hooking the laptop up to a monitor on a frequent basis. Overall very happy with it, the only downside is the price.
on 23 January 2016
This is a nifty little device that helps to keep your desk tidy. In fact I've now bought three for our office as they reduce space on the desk and keep everything tidy and safe. They are surprisingly heavy, so you feel really secure in the knowledge that they will keep your macbook safe and when you lift the macbook off the stand it stays put, so you don't need two hands to do so.

They work well in closed clamshell mode, which is what we do in the office. This is where the macbook remains closed, but you can connect an external monitor, keyboard and mouse to get a great desktop experience.

Because you can also connect all your cables easily either side, you just forget you are not working on a desktop and yet you have much more space on your desk.

The only downside is that they are quite expensive for what they are, BUT, they do a really good job and are the best of their kind in my opinion.
on 5 June 2014
A very simple idea to save space on my desk while my macbook is charging. Also good if I want to link my macbook to my desktop screen. Simple design but quality materials. I would recommend it.
on 6 February 2014
Excellent product from 12South.
Fits perfectly and great to keep the Mac safe from sticky fingers and potential damage from scratches and breakage