Showing 1-10 of 124 reviews(5 star). See all 223 reviews
on 29 March 2013
Let me start by saying, not all of us want 40x40 prints to put on a wall. That said, the Coolpix S3100 could easily handle it if you needed it to, and that's saying a lot.
Compact cameras are becoming much more accomplished these days, but Nikon has definitely outdone themselves yet again with this excellent unit.
I purchased this for my girlfriend, being fairly knowledgeable about cameras and owning a Nikon DSLR myself, I opted to again go for Nikon and purchase this compact.
14 megapixels is a very good sensor for such a small camera, but as we all know, it's not about megapixels.
The camera itself is small and compact with excellent button spacing and an easy-to-use layout. The black finish is stylish and resilient, but I would advise getting a small case to hold it in your bag.

So, down to the image quality. It's excellent. Deep and accurate color reproduction, fine detail and an excellent autofocus system pull this camera into the big leagues as far as image quality goes. I've actually never had finer prints from a compact camera - the default settings yield images which are rich and deep without being over-saturated. The in-camera metering is spot on and I didn't have to make any adjustments in natural daylight - indoor shots required a little dialing in, but mostly the camera handles this all by itself.
The flash is powerful for a small camera but obviously isn't up to much. Certainly very capable for your average snapshot though.

The rear LCD is large and bright and the system software is easy to navigate - perfect for use by beginners and experts alike.
The 720p HD video recording is not a particularly exciting addition, but appreciated. The camera suffers from a little horizontal shearing when in video mode, but otherwise is perfectly usable. It even comes with a dedicated video-record button.

All in all, I'd give this camera a 9/10. It's perfect for any aspiring snappers, and it's cheap to boot!
Well worth every penny.
on 21 May 2012
I bought this camera for the wife, as she needed a more portable camera than the Nikon D5100 (which is used for major family events). We are very impressed with the image quality, and the fact that it is very easy to use and has a great lens. It wouldn't have the most amount of megapixels, when compared to other "newer" cameras, but am sure you all know that the amount of megapixels a camera has, is only part of the story.
The best part about the camera is that it takes fantastic low light shots, so great for taking with you when you are out and about (in a pub/club/function room etc.) For the price would definately recommend it
One person found this helpful
on 17 April 2012
Tiny but sturdy camera which I have really only used to point and click so far. Bought it to replace an s3000 which was stolen. The former took good, clear developed pictures and I expect this will also. I'd like it to respond more quickly when I press the button as I missed a heron taking off the other day. Could be solved maybe by using the video facility. Has many features which I hope to try out in time. Is particularly good at close up shots of people. The service from Amazon was as usual straight forward and reliable and the camera came well packaged and delivered to the door. A very good price too.
on 5 January 2012
Bought this as a gift for elderly lady and she's very pleased with the camera. When I first removed it from the box, I was impressed how light it is. I even thought for a second that it must be a toy camera :) It's very easy to operate, it has all the features which one can need nowadays on a camera. It's ok as an every day camera for someone who is not much interested in photography. But there are some cameras on the market different brands like Samsung or Fuji with the similar picture quality as this Nikon and those are slightly cheaper.
on 18 April 2012
I got this camera as a 21st birthday gift for my daughter to take on a celebration cruise. It is very neat with a thin body but a full size screen to enable clear view of the pictures and settings. The built-in rechargeable battery (like a mobile phones) lasts well and saves money on batteries! It is easy to use, looks very fashionable and fits into her handbag easily. The picture quality is great, much better than her phone, and will allow her to preserve precious memories to look back on.
on 23 August 2011
This little Nikon camera was a good buy and I am really pleased with it. The quality of picture is good providing you remember to keep the lense clean, it clouds over very easily.
12 people found this helpful
on 4 January 2012
This camera was not only excellent value but it is also very easy to use. It has clear controls and a big clear screen for such a small light compact camera.
Within 10mins after it was charged we were up and running taking photos using the different modes etc, inc the timer for family pictures!!
Then popped out the card(bought separately)and had the photos on the computer within minutes. We purchased the case separately also, it is neat and smart plus very durable.Highly recommended camera for any family, light neat and it will not date quickly.
on 30 November 2017
Bought as gift
on 27 February 2013
I took this on my cruise, it was fantastic. Taking pictures were a dream, they came out stunningly well..
Every thing was crisp and clear.. Very easy to use and i loved it..
Unfortunately the Zoom control on the top decided to drop off a day before i got home.. So had to send it back!
on 14 October 2014
well it is a Nikon not much to say Japanese quality never fault same as anything coming from Germany beautiful camera small can go in any pocket and all the features are so easy to use
will recommend beautiful all around