on 6 April 2013
I've recently really got into middle eastern cookery and this is a really lovely product, why didn't I know about it sooner? It adds a wonderful pungency to dishes I didn't know was possible, without rendering them unnecesarily sour as well. I shall experiment further and update as and when I make further discoveries. Well worth buying.
on 2 April 2014
If the recipe asks for sumac(h) then this is the one. A strong zesty flavour to spice up vegan and veggie dishes. I wouldn't be without it. What I also love is that it comes in a screwtop glass jar. I hope steenbergs do refill packs...
on 17 December 2012
This is a condiment spice that is on your table as a matter of fact all over the Middle East and Turkey.
It is used like we use pepper and it is put on virtually everything. I remember having a dish very similar to a pizza in the grand bazaar in Istanbull and Sumac was on the table, so I sprinkled it on and liked it very much, it has a sort of piquant edge but not overpowering. Try all the middle eastern spices, there are lots on Amazon foods, they add and make such a difference to your narmal every day cooking and are an absolute necessity when following authentic middle eastern recipes.
on 29 September 2013
Lovely stuff, arrived on time, well packaged and with a nice recipe card. I will definitely buy again and recommend to friends
on 1 August 2013
Recently purchased Plenty and Jerusalem - ottelenghi cookbooks. I have since been immersed in a whole new world of taste. This is just one of the many different spices that he uses and although it can be both costly and difficult to keep up with all of his ingredients I've since added Sumac to other things.
on 8 November 2015
Perhaps in urban areas it's easy to get hold of things like this. Where I live, there are umpteen shops/markets selling local lamb, but spices? Sumac is a great addition to all sorts of Mediterranean cooking (if you didn't know). If you did know - then the jar I bought was pungent, fresh and great value for money. As I said in the headline, buy with confidence.
on 11 April 2013
Used in Turkish and Greek cooking, this adds a slightly musty woody aroma to all meat dishes, I found I didnt need to add very much as it can be a bit overpowering.
on 30 September 2013
Lovely product but I have given a five star rating for the speed of service. I placed the order early one afternoon and received the goods the very next morning!
on 20 March 2013
i bought this after purchasing a turkish cook book as it is used in a lot of the recipes.would recommend you buy more than one spice at a time as otherwise the p&p is way too much.was delivered fast and is in a nice glass jar for storage.
on 1 June 2014
Very good to be able to buy this in a smallish jar. In the past I've bought it elsewhere I have to buy so much that it is much better to buy a smaller amount and use in the time period.

See one answered question