on 10 April 2014
This is a good story, reasonable political and historical background with ok everyday people character build. The real let down and it becomes so common to nearly every page, are the spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. It almost makes you want to stop reading it. This cannot have been proof read and an auto spell checker must have been used which picked the wrong words. As an example the word 'defiantly' is used several times instead of the correct word 'definitely'. A real shame. Mr Black should take this up with his publisher, if his next book is like this, I won't be reading any more.
on 2 December 2015
It is a good story, relevant both to today's events and to the recent history of Saddam Hussein's evil dictatorship within Iraq and his expansionist aims. But it was marred for me by the frequent mistakes of spelling and grammar which I believe could have been easily avoided. If these were the author's errors they indicated a disdain for his readership and a failure of respect for the English language; that essential tool of his trade. If they were those of a proofreader I would deduce a lack of professionalism. But perhaps they were the result of inaccurate transcription into Kindle format. Whatever the cause its effect on me was quite irritating.
on 15 July 2016
I was recommended by a friend to read this book. From the first chapter I got straight into the story and would recommend these books and this author to my friends. Looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
on 2 September 2010
I bought this book as part of my summer reading collection and I'm very glad I did. I was reading this by the pool, over breakfast and even after waking up early in the morning!!

Excellent story concept, ex SAS turns part time SAS because of the mundanity of everyday life and then the story runs away with itself dragging you into a world of counter intelligence, anti-terrorism and action. Liked the little human touches as well.

Looking forward (hopefully) to the next SAS Shadow Squadron deployment...
on 19 May 2016
While the story lines, structure and flow work well I became increasingly distracted with such poor proofing by the publisher. I'm not picking on the author given his background I wouldn't expect perfection in grammatical structure or spelling. Never-the-less a quick read of Lynne Truss' Eats, shoots and leaves wouldn't go amiss.
The funniest one for me was the chap sitting on an Isle seat on a train. Maybe that sums it up.
I can't consider spending any money on subsequent episodes unless I see reviews that confirm the publisher has their act together.
on 16 August 2010
This is a really good thriller, right out of the top drawer. The hero, Pat Farrell, is a great character, a tough-as-nails soldier who spends half his time with the SAS and the other half driving a taxi - brilliant idea. Farrell is pitched into the middle of a story based on the idea that Iraq did actually have a nuclear weapon and after the US/UK invasion it went missing (scarily possible!). Overall, very exciting stuff, a well-paced and gripping story, brilliant characters and highly recommended. An author to watch.
on 9 July 2016
I am quite prepared to accept the odd typo or two, but sadly this had just sufficient a number of basic mistakes for it to have become distracting. Example: horse when it should have been hoarse. At least two dozen others. Several of which were continually repeated. The author should have employed at the very least a proofreader!
on 4 November 2015
A good rollicking yarn, as we old fogies used to say, holds your attention and keeps you turning the pages. I would rate it higher, but for the standard of proof reading: there are some real howlers in there. Nobody buys a book of this type for deathless prose, but someone with an 'o' level in English should check it over!
on 11 March 2016
After reading and thoroughly enjoying 'Gone to sea in a bucket' I thought to seek out more of David Blacks work. I'm now convinced there are two authors by the same name and this book has been written by the awful one.

It is absolutely riddled with spelling mistakes, typos, incorrect word substitution and just awful composition and editing. To make things worse, the story reads like a thinly veiled BNP/UKIP advertisement with talks of the 'hordes of invading immigrant Muslims', etc.

Avoid this series at all costs.
on 28 October 2010
This isn't usually the type of book I read, but I throughly enjoyed it. With twists and turns throughout. Set in modern day London with the all real spectre of terrorism a very real threat it treads a very fine line between thriller and documentry. I hope that this is the first of a series of books featuring 'The Shadow Squadron'.