on 15 January 2018
Oh my goodness - what a journey this book takes you on! This book is basically a collection of letters Celie writes to God as a way of staying sane through some horrid and beautiful times in her life. At the start Celie is surviving day to day from on going abuse. The book is harrowing at times. It's a story of survival, sister love and friendship. Celie is uneducated and the book is written how she speaks and thinks. The change in Celie over a period of time is tear inducing. She finds some inner strength due to her friend Shug and it becomes a beautiful story. This book will change you!
One person found this helpful
on 10 November 2016
I read this book some time ago and recently repurchased it. It is a brilliant insight into slavery and the effects it has within even a deeply religious community where it is entrenched and accepted; and also for the very young Celie who is wrenched away from her sister and subjected to the abuse it brings. It also shows how slavery can be eradicated. For Celie it is a long hard battle to meet her children again after they are taken from her. It is a poignant reminder of where we shouldn’t venture. It was made into a film and introduces Whoopie Goldberg and Oprah Wimfrey which has now become a classic. Alice Walker is a great writer and I recommend any of her works. Pat McDonald British Crime Writer
on 23 August 2017
I loved it until Nettie's letters, I could just not get into her story, I kept wanting to go back to Celie's.
I had a hard time keeping up with all the characters and their relations.
I loved how Shug described god to Celie.
I found it flat how somehow Nettie and even Mr.------- (this 'name' was annoying) came to find the same wisdom at the same time at the end.
2 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 May 2013
In this modern classic, we meet Celie who is raped by her father as a child and then given in marriage against her will. She's had 2 children, both of whom she believes to be dead as they were taken from her at their birth. It's a story of oppression and it could be desperately sad but it isn't. The book is in the form of letters, mostly written by Celie to God, her only confidant. Later in the book, she writes to her sister who is a missionary in Africa. She finds love and a meaning in her life, from an unexpected quarter. In the course of the story, over the 1920s and 1930s we see the characters grown and evolve.

I loved the writing; so unconventional but so successful in the way that it forced me to read it in an American Deep South accent. I could just about hear Celie in my head. Her sister, educated and literate, writes very differently. Celie is conscious of her language and indeed, has had her deficiencies pointed out by several people and they have made unsuccessful attempts to teach her. Her homely expressions give the book a real life quality and I was fascinated and gripped through it all. This is a book I'd definitely recommend.
One person found this helpful
on 19 July 2017
Such a fantastic book. Glad i read this before watching the film. Would recommend highly
3 people found this helpful
on 28 March 2018
I missed the movie many years ago and so finally downloaded the book.I knew little to nothing about the story line so imagine my delight as I turned page after page of this exterordinery novel.And to think this was Alice Walkers first published book.
If I ever see Color Purple showing I will watch it with great interest just to see how it translates to the screen.
on 23 August 2014
The Color Purple is truly an amazing book and one I wish I could give double the 5 stars to. Having first seen the film on a flight to Vancouver, I knew this would be a good story but I was unnerved by the epistolary approach, the dialect and the first person POV. I need not have worried. It gripped me from the first and became more intense as it progressed. There is so much courage in the face of abuse and tragedy in this novel and it is so uplifting. The ending had me in tears, I was there sharing the characters’ happiness. If you have not read this book, you should.

The end dedication: “I thank everybody in this book for coming. – A.W., author and medium” should send a message to any author. The characters are real, they came fully formed and that is the nature of inspiration if not genius. Thank you Alice Walker for giving me the opportunity to know and love them as you did.
on 26 August 2012
This book is probably the best example of modern literature of our time. I bought this for a friend as I felt she would enjoy it, but had read it myself in A level English Literature. I wasn't sure I was going to like it when I first started, as it is written as diary entries by Celie (a young black girl), set in the the southern state of Georgia. The diary entries, addressed to God, give an account of her life spanning many decades. I am filling up now just recalling the story and how moving many of the entries were. It is a most emotive and beautifully written book. One which transports you to a different time and place, and small wonder it won the 1983 Pulitzer Prize for fiction.

Every reader wants to sample different situations, experiences, places, emotions etc; Very few books actually deliver, this one does! And how!

Despite it's compact size, this book is filled with a lifetime of emotions. It covers social issues, explores relationships and faith that one day things will be better. That life will be better.

This was also made into a film by Stephen Spielberg, and starring Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey, which he did justice to, but you will be depriving yourself of a unique reading experience by not reading this marvelous book. Enjoy!

As usual, this was delivered on time and in perfect condition by Amazon.
on 22 October 2013
This book illustrates what violence against women means. This book is about an American black girl who faces the ugliest forms of violence, starting from sexual violence to physical, mental and psychological violence. This girl grows up to be raped by her step father- whom she thinks is her father- at the age of 14. She gets one girl and one boy, but her kids disappear. Her mother keeps silent and never says a word till she dies. This girl tries to protect her sister from her step father, she is forced to marry a man who takes her to raise his children and do housework. She is always silent, she is punished, she is kicked, and she is beaten, but this is her life, this is her destiny- she thinks. Events pass, and her life is the same, till one day she discovers that the man who is her husband hides letters sent to her by her sister- whom she thinks is dead. Her sister goes to Africa and sends her letters from there, she lives with her kids. Since then, life has changed. She no more accepts being a victim, she decides on living her life. She leaves her husband and goes on in her life, she is happier and she is stronger.
The book is formed in letters written by the girl to God, and then by her sister to her, then the letters are directed towards her sister. It is a beautiful sad book, very much recommended.
on 4 July 2017
Beautifully written. An important story that is told wonderfully by a fabulous storyteller. The use of African dialect, although difficult to get into at the beginning, allows for a harrowing insight into the characters lives.
2 people found this helpful