on 25 December 2014
A friend of mine son was stabbed outside a night club. He was very lucky to survive. He went through hell at the hosptial being stiched up and could not go home as he had an infection where he had to have his knife wound re stiched up again. It is very worrying Knife crime seems to be on the increase.
Someone Elses Son is a heart-breaking emotional thriller. Carrie Kent had worked in television for only three years. First of all as a news anchor woman and then as an assistant presenter on Crime Hits, a late night satellite production taiing the met as they make live arrest.Carrie interviews a woman, Mrs Plummer, her son was stabbed repeatedly by a gang.
While Carrie is in the TV studio she gets a call from the hosptial. When Carrie arrives at the hosptial she is told that her son is dead, he had been stabbed within his school gates. A girl who was friends with Max at the school is interviewed by a detective but she claims she did not see who stabbed Max, and that she can not shred any information. I certainly recommend Someone Elses Son, even though this story is with no question extremely emotional and heart-breaking but it is very well written.
Review by ireadnovels.wordpress.com
on 3 May 2015
Wow what a fantastic book. This is the first book I have read by this author but it won't be the last.

The story grabs your heart, squeezes and never lets go. It made me feel very sad and at the same time very angry. So many scenarios crept into my mind. I'm a parent and at times this book was hard to read on so many different levels.

As a parent no great book with all the answers is given to you, I know I will make mistakes but hope to god I never make the same ones as these fictional parents did (that's how real this book feels). It really is shocking but I am so glad I read it.

I think this book will have lots of fans but every one of them will like it for a specific reason.

Karrie 🌹
on 22 July 2012
The mother (Carrie) of the son in question is a television pundit whose programme I imagine is meant to be something like The Jeremy Kyle Show, or a British version of Oprah. I'm not really into reality TV so my imagery might be slightly off. The kind of show, anyway, where stupid people take their dissatisfactions out on the world in public (or at least, on TV). Although the book tried very hard to make this woman sympathetic, Ms Hayes failed with me.

There were certain other characters that failed the reality test as well - the clever boy who voluntarily moved from a top academic institution to a sink school in a rough area of London. Without either parent even having checked out what kind of school he was enrolling in(!). The mother and the father had rather strange backgrounds. He is a black mathematician - a professor at a top University. He went blind four years after their marriage and they split up soon after. She - as mentioned above, is part of the reality TV culture. They are really strange. I couldn't really bring either of them to life in my imagination.

However, the plot, although atrociously drawn out, is quite interesting at times, especially as her son, Max, is a knife-crime victim and there are other complications of his friendship with Dayna, a mixed-race schoolgirl with a horrible home-life. There are all sorts of quirkinesses in the plot which I don't want to give away, even though you need a sieve to sort out what will hold water and what won't. I've read a lot better, The Hunger Trace by Edward Hogan for instance, beats this into a cocked hat!
VINE VOICEon 14 October 2010
Sam Hayes is already on my list of favourite authors, so although I was excited to get hold of an early copy of her latest book, I was nervous as to whether it would live up to expectations.

Thankfully it did. Sam's books are probably best described as emotional thrillers - she says herself that she takes her characters and puts them in terrifying circumstances, and Someone Else's Son certainly lives up to this.

Carrie Kent has built an extremely successful career hosting a morning chat show which puts people under the microscope, and under pressure. All the dysfunctional families she looks down on are on her show, as well as victims of crime. What she doesn't expect though, is that instead of someone else, it becomes her experiencing tragedy.

Max and Dayna are two teenagers who don't fit in. They live in a world of bullying and knife crime, and on Friday 29th April, Carrie's world falls apart, as she's informed her son, Max, has been stabbed, and is dead.

Throughout the course of the book, we are taken back and forth, experiencing life both before and after the stabbing. Max and Dayna's relationship is explored, as well as the harsh world they live in. We also find out about the relationship Max's parents had, and how it fell apart, as well as the lives they live now.

At the heart is the issue of the stabbing, how it happened, and who was involved. But surrounding this is the depth of the book - the various relationships and issues involved. It is a book of suspense, with the expected twists, but the key is the way Sam builds her characters. They are so believable, and I cared about each and every one by the end - which makes the suspense and thriller aspects mean more.

The first half of this book may be a little slower than thriller readers might expect, but it's an important part as it allows Sam to introduce and explore her characters. It kept me reading because I wanted to know what would happen next, and by the end it was hard to put down.

Another highly recommended book from someone who remains on my favourite author list.
on 7 March 2011
I cannot understand the five star reviews for this book so feel compelled to write a review to try and redress the balance a bit. I thought this was one of the worst books I have read in a long time. The book centres on Carrie Kent, a chat show host akin to Jeremy Kyle, and funnily enough this book is the literary equivalent of the Jeremy Kyle Show.

The characters were very two dimensional and I felt no sympathy or empathy with any of them. There are bizarre parts to the story which seem to have no bearing whatsoever on the plot and are never referred to again. There is one totally odd scene where Carrie Kent takes off for a weekend, ends up trying to barge into the wrong holiday let in a Scottish estate and ends up sleeping with the lord of the manor. The whole episode has absolutely nothing to do with the story and is never referred to again, bizarre! The book could have benefited from some serious editing! Much of the story is quite unbelievable and the final 'twist' was laughable.

One of those books that makes you think you should be a writer because if this can get published anything can!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 April 2013
I'll be honest and say I had to make an effort to keep on with this book, because it didnt immediately grab me but I am glad I did - ultimately it was a very good read. Carrie is a chat show host - a female Jeremy Kyle who digs into the underbelly of society and exploits it for fame and gain. I found her extremely unlikeable (probably the point but you would have to ask the author!) and spent most of the first part of the story grimacing at the pages. We also learn about her son, and her ex husband amongst various other characters. When tragedy strikes at the heart of Carrie's family, I found myself intrigued to find out what it would do to her character. Would she gain a real insight into the people she exploits for her show and ultimately become a better person? That,for me, was one of the reasons I enjoyed the book - waiting to find out. The mystery element is there, who did what to who and why, and this is not fully revealed until the end, so if you are a lover of Crime fiction you should also enjoy it for this reason. Told in real time and flashback its cleverly done, although one little bugbear is that there are a few "scenes" if you like that seemed pointless, didnt add to the ambience of the tale, and were never referred to again. Overall though, this didnt interfere with my enjoyment - I thought it was very good and for me, was more about the characters than the mystery, I was far more interested to see what Carrie would do than I was in the resolution of the crime element of the novel. I will certainly be reading some more from this author in the future.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 March 2011
Carrie Kent is mother to Max but more importantly in her eyes she is a chat show host which is a cross between Jeremy Kyle and Crimewatch. One day Max dies and the book revolves not only why he died but what was his life like before he died, Carrie needs to know because she hadn't a clue while he was alive. Carrie realises that she has become just like the guests on her show when she had always felt so superior to them, now their worlds have collided.

Neither of the two mothers in this book are characters I could remotely sympathise with and, unfortunately, they appeared very two dimensional tabloid creations. There are also so many threads that don't seem to go anywhere, I was sure that there would be some big relvelation around why Brody and Carrie divorced but this never really happens, there is one paragraph where the reader is left to assume that the marriage broke down for good but again there wasn't enough depth.

The story itself is good, there are elements that are realistic however the ending let it down as it was so unbelievable. The portrayal of Max and Dayna is thought provoking, they both felt themselves to be different from everyone else and both suffered because they weren't part of the crowd.

I preferred the three previous books by Sam Hayes but this one like those is an emotional tale, it just wasn't as convincing.
on 13 February 2011
Having read Unspoken, Blood Ties and Tell Tale I couldn't wait to get my hands on Someone Elses Son. I have to say I am really dissapointed. Whilst the story is obviously a sensitive issue I feel the story could have a had a lot more made of it and the twist I picked up on really early in the book so it came as no suprise to me.

As I say I have read the other 3 books by Sam Hayes and I have always been unable to put them down and have been gripped until the end but this one I couldn't wait to put it down!

Sorry :-(
on 11 April 2011
I had to think for a few days before i pressed the "buy now" button here on Amazon, for this book. Everything about it sounded like just the kind of book i'd read, so i was suprised at myself how much i dithered before buying it. So, as soon as it dropped on the mat at home, i picked it up, and was again suprised, as i was immediately hooked.

In the book, we meet only child, Max. His father, Brody, is blind and living on a rough estate, whilst his mother is the famous reality talk-show host, Carrie Kent. Carrie and Brody's lives are worlds apart. Max will often clean up Brody's flat, and very rarely see's his mother, due to her busy career and lifestyle. Bullied at school, he meets kindred spirit, Dayna and romance inevitably blossoms between the pair.

Dayna also suffers from horrendous bullying, both at school and at home. Her mother and Step-father Kev, are living in a soul destroying relationship, and Dayna is often left looking after her younger sister. Max and Dayna's relationship grows, and with it a devastating turn of events appears in the midst of the bullying.

I thought the teenage characters of Max and Dayna were protrayed well by Hayes. The bullying scenes were sometimes difficult to read, as you just know it happens in real life. These two characters had been let down by the very people who should have loved and cared for them, and took comfort in each other. It was wonderfully written.

The book made me think of all the kids out there who don't have a loving parent(s) at home, who are left to fend for themselves, and i thank Hayes for that. This book, isn't just an easy read, it's a thoughtful book too. Focusing on crimes that happen far too often in our society, and of the relationships surrounding those people at the center of the crime.

Definately worth a read!
on 17 June 2014
I have read other Samantha Hayes in the past, but this wasn't my favourite. It was a bit depressing and I found that it was dragging on a bit too long before it came to a conclusion.

Max, the son of Carrie Kent TV presenter, is found stabbed to death outside his school. I found her a bit irritating if truth be told...too much time for her job and not enough for her son. His father Brody, lives elsewhere. Max goes between the two parents but neither of them seem to have any clue what goes on in their sons life. Ultimately he is lonely until he meets up with Dayna, who seems to be a lot like him.

The tale drifts in and out of past and present laying the way to the final tragic outcome and the conclusion is possibly not what you would have predicted and if a little disappointing, not quite sure why.

I recommend you try her other books though.